Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Double neck guitars

LiveMusic

If a good one exists, it could be really cool for a solo act like I am working on. Kramer has one, shown at this link:

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=488

Are there others? Has anyone played this guitar? For only $600, seems a bit suspect, although I am passing judgment before I've even seen one. Are these really heavy?

The old guitars that were double neck, were they a regular electric six-string and a 12-string? That's what I recall. With the advent of narrow body or thin body or whatever you call them acoustic bodies, I guess it made this Kramer possible.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HEYYYY...I like it. I wonder...that's just what I'm looking for...'cause I play acoustic and electric and I get tired of changing... six bills...I've gotta try one out.

Looking at it again...it's twelve bills retail...the six bill figure is MusicYo's price. I'm AWFUL tempted to buy one...

This message has been edited by Tedster on 10-09-2001 at 09:34 PM

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

This is the guitar you REALLY need:

http://members.aol.com/gatorwing/guitar.jpg

This message has been edited by gatorwing@aol.com on 10-24-2001 at 11:27 PM

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

That guitar linked in the first post is a Kramer. The Gibson/Kramer site says MusicYo is the official distributor. Do other retailers carry Kramer guitars? I don't know if I'd buy one of these double neck guys without trying it. If they have a return policy, that would make a big difference. This acoustic/electric could fit nicely into what I am doing.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by synaes:

guild makes a double neck like the kramer.

Guild makes an acoustic / electric? I couldn't find anything on it at their site, although I found no search feature.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally quoted by LiveMusic:

That guitar linked in the first post is a Kramer. The Gibson/Kramer site says MusicYo is the official distributor. Do other retailers carry Kramer guitars? I don't know if I'd buy one of these double neck guys without trying it. If they have a return policy, that would make a big difference. This acoustic/electric could fit nicely into what I am doing.

------------------

Duke

Originally posted by synaes:

guild makes a double neck like the kramer. danelectro makes a great 6/12 string double neck, and gibson and epiphone both make expensive, but really nice, double neck 6/12 strings.

If I may dispel some misinformation and elaborate on other points...

MusicYo! is the SOLE distributor of several Gibson owned properties, including Kramer, Steinberger, Tobias basses, and Slingerland drums. They are NOT a subsidiary of Gibson Musical Instruments, they simply have exclusive license to distribute the aforementioned lines. The beauty of this business model is that MusicYo! can sell these instruments for much less than they were available through brick & mortar stores, hence, the low prices. I don't mean to, but this is starting to sound spammy, so that's all I'll say about it.

Gibson does make the G-1275, most commonly associated with Jimmy Page. (SG style body.) The Epi version is not a current model, although I've heard of new old stock still available here and there.

Personally... That Kramer is p-r-e-t-t-y cool. Acoustic and electric.. yeah. I haven't played one, though.

Someone asked about whether double necks used to be 6 & 12 together. I don't know much about others, but Gibson at one time or another has produced 6/12's, 6/bass, 6/mandolins of various sorts, and, of course harp guitars that kind of qualify as double necks. I'm sure other manufacturers have created similar models.

One of the most visible doubleneck's was a 6/12 Ovation Adamas acoustic created for Richie Sambora in the late 1980's, used onstage and in the video for "Wanted, Dead or Alive."

Let's not forget Rickenbokker has made som neat 6/12's.

Double necks are fun and useful, but I could never get used to the playing position. I'd rather have a Gracie stand, if necessary.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Mile:

Link to Guild is:

http://www.guildguitars.com/repository/product.php?partno=3956120

Thanks! I wonder how much Guild costs?

Both the Guild and the aforementioned Kramer have a min-toggle to choose which neck. Why would it need that? Does it stop the signal from whatever you're playing when you toggle that switch? Why would it need to do that? (Sorry, I know nothing about electrons.)

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Both the Guild and the aforementioned Kramer have a min-toggle to choose which neck. Why would it need that? Does it stop the signal from whatever you're playing when you toggle that switch? Why would it need to do that? (Sorry, I know nothing about electrons.)

For quick changes from one neck to the other without adjusting the volume. Often you won't have the volume knobs pegged on an acoustic, so resetting level would be an unneccesary inconvenience. A toggle switch keeps the unused neck from ringing out and feeding back.

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

For quick changes from one neck to the other without adjusting the volume. Often you won't have the volume knobs pegged on an acoustic, so resetting level would be an unneccesary inconvenience. A toggle switch keeps the unused neck from ringing out and feeding back.

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Try these links out! Some of them are really wild!

http://www.danelectro.com/Doubleneck.htm

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Designer/EDS1275.html

http://www.lordonly.net/lojtbas3.htm check this one out! wow!

http://www.gaganbros.com/doubleneck.htm Yeow!

http://www.pulseonline.com/washburn4.htm

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com:

Isn't that one of Rick Neilson's wacky Hamers?

Yes, it is one of Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen's Hamers. The guy is essentially strapping on five guitars. I can barely handle one.

And with this message, I hit "100".

Of all the forums I hang around (about 6), this is the best. You all are a great group of people, and I wish we could have some sort of get together so we could all meet (why should Chip be the only lucky one to meet Lee?). Of course, this would have to be in about 5 years so I could play guitar with you and not have to stand and watch.

Thanks to all and especially for Ted, I would like to say 'Go Gators!'

This message has been edited by gatorwing@aol.com on 10-24-2001 at 11:51 PM

Originally posted by gatorwing@aol.com:

Yes, it is one of Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen's Hamers. The guy is essentially strapping on five guitars. I can barely handle one.

And with this message, I hit "100".

Hey, is that thing for real? I figured you did some graphic wizardry. Are you saying this guy actually PLAYED this thing? As a joke, obviously. That's wild, if so.

Congrats on hitting 100 posts!

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Hey, is that thing for real? I figured you did some graphic wizardry. Are you saying this guy actually PLAYED this thing? As a joke, obviously. That's wild, if so.

No joke or graphic wizardry, it is the real thing. I've seen him play it in videos. At the Cheap Trick web site there is a picture gallery of the many unusually shaped/designed guitars that Rick plays.

Go to http://www.cheaptrick.com/

Click on the paper icon on the right, that says MORE when you do a mouse over. Then click on "Rick's Guitars".

The 5-string Hamer was on display last year at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts guitar exhibit. Very intimidating looking! Unfortunately is was in a glass case so I couldn't touch it!

KJ

-------------------

"50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong" - John Prine

Archived