Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My 1st 2 days with a Schecter 007

kudyba

Yep I got my first 7-string yesterday and promptly put it to work at band rehearsal. And I got a chance to use it again today at what appeared to be an audition (I'll reserve comment on that for another post). I am really starting to like this guitar as at first I thought it would take a while getting used to. First off, the neck is wider and the strings are spaced CLOSER to each other, so there is a definite adjustment in playing style required. You REALLY gotta be careful not to whack that low B. But during today's "jam", I really got a chance to play with that low B. There was a tune that they guys wanted me to simply come up with chords and riffs to and I took the opportunity to do that as well as experiment with that low B. Man the sounds you can get are SO cool. The tough part is to not make to so "metal" sounding. Power chords really come across sounding like the current rap metal bands but I found you can work around that by doing things like turning the peg and detuning or "sharp-tuning" (what would that be called?) "in-time". Also, you can use the high register of the string (above 12th fret) and do single-note bends. Or pinching out harmonics below the 5th fret is "evil-cool" (hey I think I just made up a new term!).

The odd part is that I'm really going to have to figure out how to incorporate that low string on some of the tunes the band plays (and again not make it sound like the new wave of rap metal)! I know there's no way to use it in every song--or even half the songs--but that's part of the fun of a new guitar--which in this case is almost a new instrument!

If there's any beef I have with the axe is that the action is a little high for my taste but I suppose I can have a tech look at it to see if it can be lowered. It is taking some adjusting to play it but the Duncan pickups (and I guess the string-through that back plate design) really give this axe some incredible sustain. I played both nights through a Marshall and I could get notes to sustain and turn into that "desired sustained-feedback" with relative easy and light vibrato.

I can't wait to play it at a gig!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could see using that low B on some surf-spy sounding stuff...ultra low twang. But...I can't handle six. What would I do with seven? I played a five string bass once, kept going to the B instead of the E. Got all messed up.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by skip:

yeah, I`ve been tossing around the idea of one of those...

But there`s something I`d like to know-what is the seventh string? do they make a low B for those guitars now? do you take an A string and tune it up?

Best thing is to go into a store and play one. I kind of wished I was able to compare an Ibanez 7-string against the Schecter but I went on instinct.

And yes, it's a low B and string manufacturers make 7-string sets now...

Archived