Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ovation Recording

Blades

I am posting this in both the guitar forum and the recording one, since I don't know how much "cross polination" there is.

I have an Ovation 1861 standard Baladeer 6-string and I'm trying to record it and get some different tones. I can get several that are fine, however, I still can't get "that one". I think the problem is that I want to "take the Ovation out of the Ovation". Is there any way you can think of to record this so that it sounds a bit bigger and warmer and not so much like an Ovation.

Like I said, I like the sounds I am getting, but I'd like some others as well.

What I've done so far is:

1. Just the internal pre-amp, modifying the built in controls - fine

2. Just a condenser mic (NT1) - bad

3. Just a dynamic (old Audio Technica Pro-4L...sort of like a cheap 58. - not so good

4. Combination of 1 and 3. Not bad, but a little noisy because of my room.

5. Just 1 and used Mic modeler...can get it a little fuzzier...not bad...certainly usable.

Any other ideas?

Blades

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you really want to get away from the Ovation sound, the best thing to do is to use a different guitar (Taylor has some nice sounding acoustics..)

However, if that's not an option, here's my experience:

I have a 12-string Custom Balladier from the '70s and have found that the piezo pickup has an extreme natural EQ - it rises about 6 or 8 dB / octave!

I've had the best luck using a mix of direct and mic'd.

You have to be ready to really crank the EQ on the board on the direct signal, and maybe throw a parametric in as well.

Micing is best done in a live room with a nice flat condenser mic - a medium-sized tiled bathroom works well, with the mic positioned a couple of feet out from the 12th fret, pointed at the 18th fret. The mic'd signal won't sound good by itself unless you have an extremely light, yet accurate touch while playing. (If you want to beat on it like Pete Townsend, all you'll get is 'clang') - - But once you mix the direct and the mic'd signals, you can usually get some degree of control over the overall sound...

- Philbo

Tangent Music

http://artists3.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Tangent2/

Archived