Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone love The Beatles like me?

LiveMusic

Well, you guys have done me a lot of favors... perhaps you will get a kick out of reading this.

As far as working up an act, first things first. And for me, that's The Beatles. Perhaps this will take you down Memory Lane. Here are the songs I am currently working on. (For an acoustic set and a few piano tunes thrown in.) These are the ones that made the cut... I play them well enough to seriously consider putting them into the lineup.

The letter after the song is for f = fast tempo, m = medium tempo, s = slow tempo.

This list just shows how freakin' versatile they were. Wow, what a list. I just counted them up... this is 75 songs!

There may be some others you can think of that I should consider. I know there a few cover songs they did that I recall really liking; I just need to go through all my albums.

BTW, I don't know how in the world I am going to learn the words to all of these, alone, much less the other few hundred songs I'm considering. I am seriously considering some type of monitor feed thingy. Gotta be a way to rig up something. My Yamaha PSR740 keyboard will display lyrics to a monitor, I think. Gotta check that out.

A Day In The Life - m

A Hard Day's Night - f

Act Naturally - m

And I Love Her - s

Back In The USSR - f

Because - s

Birthday - f

Blackbird - s

Can't Buy Me Love - f

Carry That Weight - s

Day Tripper - f

Golden Slumbers - s

Do You Want To Know A Secret - f

Don't Pass Me By - m

Drive My Car - f

Eight Days A Week - f

Fixing A Hole - m/s

From Me To You - f

Get Back - f

Getting Better - f

Girl - m/s

Got To Get You Into My Life - f

Hello Goodbye - f

Help! - f

I Am The Walrus - s

Here Comes The Sun - m

Here, There and Everywhere - s

Hey Jude - s (piano)

I Saw Her Standing There - f

I Should Have Known Better - f

I Want To Hold Your Hand - f

I Will - m

I'm Happy Just To Dance With You - f

If I Fell - m

In My Life - m

It Won't Be Long - f

Julia - s

Lady Madonna - f (piano)

Let It Be - s (piano)

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - s

Maxwell's Silver Hammer - m

Michelle - s

Mother Nature's Son - m

Norwegian Wood - m

Nowhere Man - m

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - m

Oh! Darling - s

P.S. I Love You - m

Penny Lane - m

Please Please Me - f

Rain - m

Polythene Pam - f

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - m

Sun King - s

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - m

She Loves You - s

She's Leaving Home - s

Something - s

Strawberry Fields Forever - s

Tell My Why - m

The Ballad Of John And Yoko - f

The End - s

The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill - m

The Fool On The Hill - s

The Long And Winding Road - s (piano)

Things We Said Today - f

This Boy - s

Ticket To Ride - f

We Can Work It Out - f

When I'm Sixty Four - m

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - s

With A Little Help From My Friends - m

Yesterday - s

You Never Give Me Your Money - s

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - m

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is WOW!

For the few songs I know and sing while playing, I usually learn the music, then commit the complete lyrics to memory, then put the music and lyrics together. I usually have a copy of the lyrics and repeat them while eating breakfast and lunch, and try singing them while driving and in the shower.

DISCLAIMER: No one who has heard me sing will actually refer to it as singing. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to stop singing I would have 12 guitars and 18 amps and a 24 track digital recorder. Plus money left over.

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Originally posted by gatorwing@aol.com:

All I can say is WOW!

For the few songs I know and sing while playing, I usually learn the music, then commit the complete lyrics to memory, then put the music and lyrics together. I usually have a copy of the lyrics and repeat them while eating breakfast and lunch, and try singing them while driving and in the shower.

DISCLAIMER: No one who has heard me sing will actually refer to it as singing. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to stop singing I would have 12 guitars and 18 amps and a 24 track digital recorder. Plus money left over.

Heehee... gotta start somewhere. You would NOT believe how much more vocal range I have now... after singing in the car during commute to the golf course... 50 minutes there and 50 minutes back. Over about a year, it amazes me how much higher I can sing. And I have a low baritone voice. I can even do stuff like Roy Orbison now. Blows me away. Nothing more than excercising the vocal chords.

But learning these lyrics... ugh. Man, this is gonnna be a job. I truly do not know if I can pull this off. I mean, within the next decade.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Well, when my playing is better I'm going to take singing lessons. My wife gives me a nasty look when I say that; my daughter says it won't help. Since taking guitar lessons I'm closer to singing in key. I used to drive my daughter to school, and once we gave her friend Jessie a ride. I had the Beatles One CD playing, and Jessie was singing along. She was fantastic (she sings in choir or something at school). Too bad you don't live here, you could use her in your Beatles set. My daughter had formal singing lessons and has a wonderful voice; but she is shy and doesn't really like to sing in front of people. Took her a full year to finally sing alone when she was taking lessons (all the students did a lot of performances as part of the singing lessons).
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

What about "And Your Bird Can Sing" ??? I'm just ribbing you, although I didn't see it on your list.

Try and find two things...

[*]The songs you like best or believe will win an audience over.

[*]The songs that have a solid rhythm guitar part.

You're going to need some easy to play songs to learn a lot of lyrics quickly.

And yes, my favorite memories as a child include a LOT of singing Beatles tunes to record and with a friend jamming on piano.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

But learning these lyrics... ugh. Man, this is gonnna be a job. I truly do not know if I can pull this off. I mean, within the next decade.

I continue to stand by my use of cheat sheets. It's far better to be seen using a cheat sheet IMHO than mumbling wrong lyrics or staring at the audience with the "deer in the headlights what the hell is the first line" look...

And, BTW...I am a die hard Beatles nut. We don't do a lot of Beatles on our gigs, because barhoppers are stupid. For instance, we worked up "Because" (one of the little perks of having folks that can sing harmony). People looked at us as if to say "Play Freebird". But, we do a pretty good "Paperback Writer"...which I've even heard the Fabs didn't play much live because the harmonies were tricky...a lot of fun.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Confessed Beatles nut here. My band does a ton of their stuff when we do our semi-unplugged gigs like we're doing tonight. Ted's right, don't be afraid to use cheat sheets if necessary, to help you with the lyrics, chords or whatever.

Here are a few Beatles tunes that we often do:

Ticket to Ride

We Can Work It Out

I'm Only Sleeping

Eight Days A Week

No Reply

Can't Buy Me Love

I've Just Seen A Face

You Won't See Me

I'll Get You

I Feel Fine

I've Got A Feeling

Don't Let Me Down

When I Get Home

We also do a couple of Rutles tunes http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif, and sometimes "Mrs. Vanderbilt" by McCartney which is cool. Actually we will pretty much do any Beatles song if we feel like it or it's requested. Last weekend we ended one of our gigs with "Why Don't We Do It In the Road".... LOL...

'Course we also can do all the harmonies so that makes it easier. Finding Beatles songs to do solo can be tough!

--Lee

This message has been edited by Lee Flier on 09-22-2001 at 06:42 PM

Forgot to mention, perhaps the best jam I've ever been part of was a couple of people outside the sales rooms at Beatlefest in Chicago, about a dozen years ago. It was the first date with my wife, her invite. (I love the beatles, but she was a fantatic!) I have really bad microcassettes of the jam. Why is always the best stuff that either gets recorded on schlock gear, or not recorded at all?!? The same goes for pictures. I always seem to be without camera or with garbage for a camera and find fantastic shots to take! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

We played a lot of later Beatles and Paul McCartney & Wings songs. Fun stuff.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• 2 weeks later...

I like 'em pro'lly as much as any one--- are you into rearranging their tunes ? (& I mean capital R REarranging)

Last band I was in did Me & My Monkey in a style quite like the Isley Bros. It's Your Thing ; also Ticket To Ride in a way that drifted from blues-through-chromatic-jazz-to-Who-style.

BTW, ever hear the PFunk version of She Loves You ?

The Beatles, Motown, Hendrix - that stuff all still sounds GREAT to me, not dated at all. That's the definition of a classic. I've heard that they absolutely kicked ASS live. Their vocals were right on the money, and they had that amazing ENERGY!! Damn straight, I'm a fan!!!

Originally posted by Tedster:

People looked at us as if to say "Play Freebird".

I'd just use that as an excuse to play "Free as a Bird"; used to do that in a band right around the time that came out, to the consternation of 'necks all across the places we played in Georgia/S.C....

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived