Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

not to be missed

Skip_dup1

For anyone who will be in the Tokyo area in October-I just found out that the big Musical Instruments Show is coming back to Ikebukuro`s Sunshine City exhibition center.

The show was in town two years ago, and it`s pretty amazing. It`ll be on from 10/18-10/21. It`s two floors of guitar, keyboard, percussion and gear, with demos, guests (Paul Gilbert did a clinic last time, but on a Thursday afternoon-gimme a break), and last time there was a guy whose name escapes me at the moment, who played Chapman stick like a maniac. The usual suspects are there-Fender, Gibson etc., as well as a lot of makers you probably never heard of-but the real twist about this show is, there`s not a `don`t touch` sign to be found-actually, most of the stuff is specifically set up to be played. Wanna sit down a jam on a Steinway baby grand? go right ahead. There`s a guitar you`re interested in-wanna hear it through a 4x12 stack? they`ll have one set up and waiting. Ibanez had guitars, headphones and stomp boxes set up. Energize your favorite combination and off you go. Actually it`s where I found my most recent electric.

Like the title says, not to be missed.

This message has been edited by skip on 09-10-2001 at 08:40 PM

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I`m in Northern Chiba prefecture, where it points an accusing finger into Ibaraki prefecture. The JR railway station is Shin-Matsudo. It`s a few stops on the local line from there.

I have a program from the show now-among other things, there are several jam sessions, a Marshall festival, and classical lessons. the guest this year is a regular GP contributor-Mattias something-or-other. gotta get the program and get back later.

Yeh - the show at Ikebukuro / Shunshine city is worthwhile. While living in Tokyo 93-96 I made it to this show ( might have been in 95). IT included all the latest and greatest projet level gear. However, its not really a very high end pro oriented show.

If you are in Tokyo you should try and make it to the Shibuya district. It hosts some of the largest musical retail outlets on the planet and a number of smaler shops as well. Its kind of like a musical version of Akihabara- the famous electronics district. For instance, Yamaha and Akai both have large outlets. While I was there I equipped my project studio with gear bought from shops in Shibuya. The Japanese made gear is actually cheaper than in the US. The imported stuff more expensive. I recall trading a used Mackie mixer for what I paid new in the states as a trade up to a a Japanese digital mixer. One of my favorite small shops was called "Sounds Like". Best prices. Several shops have greaat selections of sample CD's that you can audition before buying. I have been unable to find anything like this in the US.

BTW- Shibuya rocks at night. Check it out.

Its been a few years since I was there. Wish I could join you.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Originally posted by Tedster:

Help! I'm about 10,000 miles away. C'est la vie...

Hey Ted! I'll drive to KC if we can take your car the rest of the way... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I usually go to the Ochanomizu area, but it`s almost strictly guitar-related shops. It`s about three times the area of 48th St. in N.Y.C.

Anyway, the guitar guy`s name is Mattias Eklundh. Looks like Dave Weckl, drummer par `how the HELL does he do that?` is going to be signing some autographs too. A schedule of events (mostly Japanese-sorry) can be found at www.musicfair.jp.

There are several things here that I wish you could do in the U.S.-like going to a video shop and renting your favorite CD.

Archived