Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

wireless wireless wireless

D. Gauss

anybody try a samson airline wireless? any opinions? just curious 'cause they have two diff transmitters (one for strat jacks and one for all else) and wondered if the gibson style transmitter fits into a strat jack and vice versa? (since i use both types of guitars).... oh and btw, i don't use a wireless for running all around like a bad 80's hair metal video, i use it to keep from getting shocked at some of the crappier places i play where the AC is lucky to have 2 prongs, let alone three and you stand in a puddle of beer all night! thanks in advance.

-d. gauss

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been using an AirLine for about three months now. I got it to replace an Audiotechnica (BrandX) I had been using. The BrandX was giving a lot of dropouts and limited my movements out of fear of making a crack.

I use the strat model currently on both my Strat and Les Paul. The Les Paul does not fit a Start. I am highly satisified with the unit... no problems since purchase and even powering it from my pedalboard with 9VDC instead of 12VDC. It simply works.

Since the transmitters are so small. I though 'Why not get two transmitters as switch them on/off depending on which guitar I'm playing?' I contacted Samson for a replacement/extra transmitter and they refered me to my dealer. I've since ordered (not yet received) a second transmitter (Les Paul style) for my Tele and Les Paul guitars. Then I will simply switch power on to which ever XMiter I'm using.

Very important note: I switch/put down guitars alot and find that the power and -15db switch can and do get bumped by the type of guitar stands I use. It took a few times to realise what was happening when the -15db was suddenly on and I was motioning to the sound guy for more, more, more. That's with the Strat style plugged into a Strat. It may not be such a big deal with the Les Paul.

When I was talking with the dealer about a second transmitter, he was telling me about a guy who bought the transmitters (all on the same channel BTW) and then hardwired them into his guitars. Simply switched them on as needed. Very cool to watch a guy play and see no cord, or body pack, or anything. Wonder if he's playing to a track... until he flams a note.

Summary... very happy with the Samson AirLine.

-John

Be aware of one thing relating to switching one off and the other on..

With both on you can get mean, nasty, ugly sounds through the system.

With neither on (for those few seconds) you can be treated to meaner, nastier, uglier sounds. OUCH! (If it's never happened to you, good. But when it does you'll wish you were never born! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif )

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yep, Neil... I had a friend who ran into that exact problem when running two transmitters. I just took an old volume pedal we had laying around, and put it between the receiver and the amp. Whenever he switched guitars, he'd just dump the volume first. If you don't have a volume pedal, you can build a on/off footswitch for less than $10.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Originally posted by d gauss:

i use it to keep from getting shocked at some of the crappier places i play where the AC is lucky to have 2 prongs, let alone three and you stand in a puddle of beer all night!

You've played at my house before?

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Originally posted by Scott from MA:

Yep, Neil... I had a friend who ran into that exact problem when running two transmitters. I just took an old volume pedal we had laying around, and put it between the receiver and the amp. Whenever he switched guitars, he'd just dump the volume first. If you don't have a volume pedal, you can build a on/off footswitch for less than $10.

GREAT idea, Scott!!! I wish I could have done that with the 3 lavaliers I turned off... (the board had no mutes, and {silly me!} I wanted to keep the faders at nominal.. my wife walked in from a relaxing stroll, and right in front of a speaker, the police or fire dispatch sent nasty RF at ungodly levels through the system... Did I mention she abhors any loud noises? {Not that anyone would've like THAT!}) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived