Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Foreign made Gretsches...and other guitars, too...

Tedster

Hmmm...just played a new Gretsch at a local store. Seems all the new Gretsches are foreign-made...

This one played and sounded quite good. Still, there's a stigma associated with a lot of foreign guitars...even if they're allegedly built to U.S. specs.

Discuss. Would you be the proud owner of a foreign-made CD player? Automobile? Camera? .......(long, dramatic pause....)......guitar???? Hmmm?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't (and never have) cared where my guitar was made, as long as it plays well. Most of my guitars were built at my own kitchen table... but I have some from Germany, Japan, and Korea, and they suit me just fine.

BTW...

CD player - Sony

Automobile - Toyota

Camera - don't own one

------------------

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

(I've been out of commission due to massive impossible computer disaster(s) occuring, causing great grief and dismay)

The store I teach at just received new Squier series and Stagemaster Series Fenders, made in Korea.

Samick (Korea) is poised to take over the world.

These guitars are around $300.

The Telecaster is solid mahogany *with a carved* top, Schaller clone tuners, solid saddles, great fret work (as good as American Series), nice paint. A neck-through (!) super strat with jumbo frets (again amazingly well done), a thick-plate real Floyd Rose, Schaller clone tuners, nice metal flake paint - same price. Basically a Charvel Model 6 $300 instead of $800. Squier strat: sunbursts have obviously flawed wood visible, but American Series - style fulcrum bridges with solid saddles, jumbo frets (finally Fender wises up(or not really Fender, eh?)) done well, Schaller clones, apparently hand cut nut, low action setup, pseudo-shoreline gold flake paint - less than $300.

America can't make guitars that good that cheap. Fender is simultaneously making a good move while shooting themselves in the foot I think. Putting their name on these guitars is short sighted: brand loyalty doesn't mean anything to the new generation, I can see very easily 5 years from Samick *not* being a frowned upon brand.

If they can maneuver like Ibanez did in the early 80's, they'll do more than just bite off a chunk of the market - they'll own the market.

The NWO looks like this: you pop down to Walmart for a new guitar. You have your pick of basic body styles and color. You get a Samick guitar. There's no other choices. No one complains because it's a good guitar.

*Everything* is headed to that eventual end. It's going to be just like the Red Scare commie-threat propaganda films from the 70's, except it's going to be massive corporations instead of The State providing the meager (but oh so competantly made) offerings at the State Store (Walmart).

It's communism perfected. The flaw with communism was with the packaging and the quality of the product. As long as what The State produces has a good quality to it, the Citizens won't care and won't rebel, and remain socially satiated. The NWO doesn't care about brands, the ultimate outcome is an oligarchy made up of CEOS and power brokers for the global corporations that control everything (as they already). Once that happens - there won't be a Cold War to break down the economy of The Enemy, to tear down the wall: we'll all be blissfully ignorant peons.

But that's ok, because everyone will be able to afford a nice guitar so they can learn to play bland corporate-servile music. Guitar teachers the world over will soon be turning up dead from insanity. ... and everyone will say to themselves at their Job Directed to Them By the Corporations Based on Their Socio-Eco Background (again - is that *that* different than communism?) "isn't this a great example of the Triumph of Unbridled Capitalism?".

Bahhh hhhh hhh hhhh hhhh.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Thanks, Chip. Didn't know I could possibly get more depressed...

I have to admit, I've never been a big 'Buy American' kind of guy. My theory has always been to buy the best that you can afford. Bang for the buck is what's important.

If America wants my business. America better make the best product at the best price.

Steve

Originally posted by Scott from MA:

I don't (and never have) cared where my guitar was made, as long as it plays well. Most of my guitars were built at my own kitchen table... but I have some from Germany, Japan, and Korea, and they suit me just fine.

BTW...

CD player - Sony

Automobile - Toyota

Camera - don't own one

Yep me too,

But then again I've never been a brand fanatic either http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Surely what really matters is that whatever you buy is right for you irrespective of who made it or where? There is of course one caveat to that statement and that is I won't buy anything that is made in sweat shops buy people who are not paid enough to have a decent living that kind of treatment sucks bigtime imho.

Simon

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

The American made guitars are still the best quality by an overwhelming margin but the price is equally overwhelming. I have been considering a Fender Japan Strat or Tele but these are still a cut above the Korean ones quality wise. I have never been a fan of budget guitars though and for me owning an original has meant something. Guess that makes me a snob.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

This spring I spent a pretty hefty chunk of change on a Killer electric-an example of Japan`s finest. Didn`t know much about em but after some initial setup problems I took it back home, plugged it into the big rig and it was `fly me to the moon, baybeeee...`

IMO the main thing about an American `big name` guitar is the resale value...if you want to sell it later you don`t have to pitch it to anyone. Aside from that it`s strictly what sounds and feels right...and who wants to sound the same as everybody else anyway?

By the way, Chip-I picked up a `real` Charvel model 6 just before they stopped making em-spent about $500 and love it-still don`t know any Metallica tunes tho...

I think the quality of Japanese guitars is generally better than American ones unless you're spending $2K+ on a PRS, Tom Anderson, etc. If you want to spend $1K or less on a guitar, buy an Ibanez or a Yamaha. I have never seen a Japanese guitar that wasn't flawless. I've seen plenty of flawed US Fenders and Gibsons though. I think foreign guitars are like foreign cars. It's like choosing between a Chevy and a Honda (you buy the Honda).

Korean guitars are getting a lot better but I still wouldn't buy one. I think they hide bad wood with nice finish jobs. I heard that they're ALL made by Samick.

Taiwanese guitars still suck.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com:

The American made guitars are still the best quality by an overwhelming margin but the price is equally overwhelming. I have been considering a Fender Japan Strat or Tele but these are still a cut above the Korean ones quality wise. I have never been a fan of budget guitars though and for me owning an original has meant something. Guess that makes me a snob.

Nope don't think so, just means you know what you like

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Dang Chip,

counter cultural generalisms would infer that none of the original capitalistic entrepeurial spirit has survived the industrial age onslaught. I may be fooling myself, but I still believe that 5% thought patterns(when turned away from noticing whats busted,and turned towards fixin' such things) can accumulate great power,wealth, influence, etc.

But to answer the original question. There was a time in this country when, the main focus for a tradesman was his skill. Skill that was measured by perceived levels of form and function. I had the good pleasure to spend some time with a young Japanese Luthier. Everything was measured by the degree of profound skill inherent in his finished product.

Not one question about the amount of time it took,how much room for profit...etc.etc. How did it sound, How did it feel, how did it look.

If we as consumers became willing to pay for such extravagance again...

I take great pride in the individual,artisic individual that escapes the union mold, and darts out into the noon time marketplace,....

Oh yeah, I play a Yairi. A guitar that an American company subs to a small mountain top luthier shop in Japan..... Art knows no politics or nationality. Some nations foster these things more than others... but true quality exists everywhere.

Rick

I've got a Yamaha acoustic that I have been really pleased with. The action is great and its got the sound to match.

I got it not long after my father in law dropped $2800 on a Martin and then had some extra work done on it (ivory nut and saddle) and he was suprised at the sound I got out of a sub $1000 guitar.

The import guitars have come a long way from what they used to be.

Kev

I bought a little Jet Jr and swapped the P90 out....the original was weak and prone to massive howling and squalling. Now it's a damn good slide guitar. I also took a Mex strat swapped out the tuners, pickguard, and put some Texas Specials on it. I use it for slide as well.....I think the Fender Tex special pickups are better for slide than anything else. I see folks buy 3500 buck guitars to play the clubs with....to each his or her own, but to me sorta crazy. I do have some vintage and all Americano's....but I don't care that much either. I'm a Cosmic Cowboy through and through.....just happy to be playin, and wanted for what I bring to the table. They never ask if I play all American gear, though my amps all are.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

I think the quality of Japanese guitars is generally better than American ones unless you're spending $2K+ on a PRS, Tom Anderson, etc. If you want to spend $1K or less on a guitar, buy an Ibanez or a Yamaha. I have never seen a Japanese guitar that wasn't flawless. I've seen plenty of flawed US Fenders and Gibsons though. I think foreign guitars are like foreign cars. It's like choosing between a Chevy and a Honda (you buy the Honda).

Korean guitars are getting a lot better but I still wouldn't buy one. I think they hide bad wood with nice finish jobs. I heard that they're ALL made by Samick.

Taiwanese guitars still suck.

Gabriel,

I bought a Grass Roots electric last year, just to have something to play. They are a Korean-made ESP copy. I have to check on the wood but I brought a set of custom humbuckers back from the U.S. that were in another electric with intonation problems and threw them in. Well I just picked it up from the shop last night and it ROCKS-rich, chocolaty tone. And yes, the finish is okay too.

Archived