Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

`Red Data` guitars

Skip_dup1

some years ago I had a summer job with American Craft Enterprises. These guys hold a lot of craft exhibitions and competitions around the country. While cataloging slide entries from people working with various woods, I came across a sheet showing several of the preferred woods for guitars (mahogany, Indian rosewood), listed as `endangered`. `Red Data` is a designation that indicates an endangered species.

While I don`t think anyone should get on a guilt trip about it, it may be wise to take a mimute from time to time and appreciate the resources that go into fine guitars-not to mention violins, etc.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Proper resource management should be a primary interest for manufacturers. It takes decades to grow a tree...and a long time to age the wood to the point where it can be used for fine furniture, musical instruments, whatever. Kinda weird, I count myself as a wood worshipper, but I'm a tree hugger, too. I don't think the two necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. Like hunting. Good hunters are conservationists...they are probably the best of environmentalists. They appreciate the game they hunt, are active in issues like wetlands preservation, but they also understand the stupidity of irresponsible hunting.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

yeah, and in both cases it only takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone.

On a related note, I got to visit Australia in winter 1999. I was checking out a small art gallery in Cairns, and I saw these wood sculptures that were in all kinds of weird shapes, like they had been stretched or something. Well the owner told me that logging companies were going into Tasmania, into the old growth forests, and cutting down trees to make wood chips-wood chips! I almost got sick right there. Even worse, they were leaving hardwood pieces that they couldn`t use lying on the forest floor to rot as `slag`. So this artist was trucking way into the forest, taking castoff wood pieces and making them into art.

Ucking fidiots. Cutting down trees to make wood chips. At least someone was using the hardwood as art...helping something beautiful rise from disaster. Like I say, I can't argue with responsible resource management...but there are too many ucking fidiots. Don't EVEN get me started.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived