Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dugain picks

Skip_dup1

I don`t know if there are any exotic pick fans out there-but I`ve found a really happening line of em from France. They`re called Dugain-haven`t checked for a website but they have some really interesting ones-buffalo horn, ox bone, several kinds of wood ones and hematite, as well as red jasper-worth checking out. They average about $10.00 each, so you may not wanna go throwing them into a crowd. but they really make a difference soundwise.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they're being distributed through Dunlop... I did a story on picks a while ago - about the tonal differences each material offers. I remember getting a bunch of pick samples from Dunlop with some of those unusual materials. It is interesting to experiment with the different textures and you can find different applications for using particular picks.

Originally posted by skip:

fun to try em on different guitars too. Some peole I`ve shown them to prefer soft picks, so they can`t use them much, but I`ve never been fond of softies myself.

I like metal picks that are on the heavy side (no flex), so the softer picks don't usually work out too well for my own purposes.

Originally posted by skip:

ya, I have a metal pick with a row of airholes, sort of, along the back side-can`t recall the make offhand. Have you tried those?

Yes - I have tried them but wasn't too crazy about the tone or the feel. I think they're made of aluminum. I prefer the sound and feel of stainless steel in the world of metal picks.

lisa....where are you getting your stainless steel pics?

when i used to live in buffalo i could get them at elmwood music....r.i.p =(

they where very thin but had zero flex....i loved them cuz they had tons of bite even when playing with a light touch.

all the metal pics i have tried in the past ten+ years here in chicago have been thin and flimsy.

thanks

"fuzz"

Lisa-I`d be interested to know about those stainless steel things too.

Anyway, about quartz-most of the ones I`ve tried don`t seem very bright (I ask them a question and they give me this, like, blank look)-I mean the attack of course. Seems like they would be better for jazz.

Jim Dunlop makes stainless steel picks in standard shape. There's also a guy named David Reasoner, who has his own custom design of stainless steel picks that are slightly larger than standard size and have a point at the end. Since most music stores may not stock these picks, you might have to have them special ordered and buy a gross or half gross. You'll probably lose them before they'll ever wear out!

• 1 month later...
So, has anybody here ever tried picks made of ivory? The tone, feel and playability are AWESOME! The crisp, clear tones it delivers are absolutely unbeatable. Illegal, you say? Not PREHISTORIC MAMMOTH IVORY! After all, you can't really poach a mammoth for it's ivory, and is legal worldwide. I make them by hand, and can be seen at http://www.tuskbuffer.homestead.com . Try one and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. Another really cool thing about them is that each one is unique, so yours is the only one like it in the world!

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

I can't imagine using a $10 pick. Not that it wouldn't be cool to try different substances and so on... but the way I seem to lose picks... I'd be broke in no time.

Somewhere near my house there's a little elf wearing two non-matching socks... (but who has a LARGE collection of them...), and he's counting his treasure...

...a HUGE pile of lightly used guitar picks!

Seriously, how do you plan to hang on to a "valuable" guitar pick.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy ALL!

Quickest way to change your tone dramatically is change your pick. It's also the least expensive way to make a tone change. Worth grabbing a bunch of picks and thicknesses you don't normally (or have never) used and experiment for an evening. You'll see.

Archived