Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Open Tunings in Popular Songs

sysexguy

Whenever I find a song is really not so easy, unless it is being played by a guitar player that loves finger torture (remember an Ovation ad with Al Di Meola where his hand cover 95% of the fretboard for some reason), I immediately suspect that open tunings were used. Many of these examples have been documented in guitar mags however I thought I'd mention two that caught my ears and see what others think.

Pinball Wizard - The Who - in open E (E B E G# B E) . The main riff is pretty obvious but so is the little intro that becomes much easier to finger

Squonk - Genesis - in DADGAD (D A D G A D). Just play a regular Dsus4 and voila.

Any thoughts,

Andy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don`t fool with those nearly as much as I should. The Verve Pipe and Hole are two of a bunch of bands that can drive you nuts with that. I put together an instrumental that had all the strings except two dropped a whole step, but I rarely play it.

One of these days I want to check out the DT-1. I think Korg makes it. You can store a bunch of tunings, or use their presets including DADGAD.

This message has been edited by skip on 09-04-2001 at 01:42 AM

Just a few..

[*]Dropped D - Fleetwood Mac, Never Going Back Again (Capo 4)

[*]Dropped D - Pink Floyd - Goodbye Blue Skies

[*]DAEEAA - Michael Hedges arrangement of All Along The Watchtower

Are you saying it's easier to play Pinball Wizard in Open E, or that Pete Townshend played it in Open E? The former may be true, but I don't believe Pete played it that way...

Anyone else?

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hmmmm, now that you mentioned I remember busting my ass of with Knopfler's Romeo and Juliet. I spent lot of time and energy to pick it up note for note (the intro played on resonator). Later, I got hold on the notes. You should see my face when I realized that he has weird tuning: FBbFBbDF!!!

And, of course, it's played in the first position...

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

I have a good transcription of Pinball Wizard and I really don't think it could be played in an open tuning. It's one of the few Who songs I know.

I remember busting my ass to learn The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin. Then years later I saw it in a book with the proper tuning. I hate kids today http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif...they have every song written transcribed. I don't even think we had tablature in my day.

SteveRB

Old Timer

Auuugggghhhh!!!

I listed Fleetwood Mac, Never Goin' Back Again in Dropped D, capo 4th fret...

Found a transcription that uses similar voicings, but easier to play in CGDGBE, capo 6. It seems to follow the exact note order slightly better than the way I've been playing it for 13 years!!! The basic voicings and key are identical.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived