Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

feedback problems - help me please!

jimbobbley

hello,

i'm new here... i need some help with feedback that i've been getting from my jap '62 reissue jaguar. i've been playing for about 6 years but i'm still pretty clueless as to how guitars work, i only play the damn things! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

i use a fender jag '62 jap reissue, with original pickups and all, which goes into a cry-baby. that goes into a digitech rp-12 (the wah sound is crap, that's why i use the cry-baby... can't beat it), which finally goes into my amp. the amp isn't great, but it works! it's a bit old, but i like the sound.

anyway the jag has a horrible tendency to feed back unwantedly when it's on the second pickup switch thingy (see what i mean about terminology?!? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif ), i.e. when the switch closest to my head is flicked away from me. i then have the middle of the bottom selector switches on. volume is all the way up to full, tone is about 3/4. above a certain level it just feeds back unless i play pretty loud! i've tried turning the volume down on the guitar but that really diminishes the sound quality so i don't want to do that. it's especially bad when i'm doing palm muting - it becomes constant.

does anyone have any ideas on how to help? it could be the digitech i suppose, maybe the gain's too loud, but what causes this kind of feedback and how can i get rid of the bloody stuff?!?

thanks in advance,

jimbobbley

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I had a (insert politically correct Japanese reference here) Strat, and the pickups were really bad. I couldn't get anywhere near stage volume without feedback. I had no choice but to replace them.

Have you played any other guitars through your rig?

If other guitars don't have the same problem, it's probably the pickps.

Good luck.

------------------

KHAN (Always hopeful, yet discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

This message has been edited by KHAN on 09-02-2001 at 11:17 AM

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by jimbobbley:

i suspected it would be the pickups... shame! i'm still puzzled as to why the second switch selector feeds back a lot more than the other though... maybe cos it's more treble-y? hmm.

It could be that pickup combination creates a frequency spike that corresponds to some sort of aggressive high frequency eq you've got going on either in the amp of the effects. Do you have the treble cranked elsewhere in your signal chain?

BTW - the war is over....

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Chip makes a point...I, er, didn't really know that "Jap" was an offensive term...I always thought it was on the order of "Yank" or "Canuck"...but, I guess it is considered a derogatory term.

Too bad everyone has to be so sensitive all the time...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

BTW - the war is over....

Sorry to offend you (insert politically correct Chip McDonald reference here).

I fixed it.

------------------

KHAN (just discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

This message has been edited by KHAN on 09-02-2001 at 11:22 AM

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

as far as i was aware 'jap' has never been offensive, just an abbreviation. i see it the same way that people call the usa 'the states'. but then i'm from the uk and i don't reckon war hostilities ran as high between us and japan as they did between the US and japan. still, it does seem slightly ridiculous to consider 'jap', as an abbreviation of 'japanese', offensive. oh well.

Hey Jim,

It's no mystery. Your one pickup simply needs to be re-potted, It is simply microphonic. Some shops do it, it won't but about 10 minutes. You can do it yourself at home though you need to be careful not to melt the bobbin. If you want to do it yourself, use Parafin wax (20% beeswax is best to add if you have can get it). Heat it up to 200 degrees (use a candy thermometer) and then LET IT COOL down to about 140 degrees. Drop your pickup (Without the cover of course) into the wax and let the wax penetrate the coil. After about 10 minutes the air bubble will stop, pull it out and set it upright. It will cool and you will be back in business.

Good luck.

Cheers.

i agree w/ bonafide-however ; there is a certain amount of technique necessary to maximize high-gain playing. After "dipping"your pickups,you'll find a much larger"trough",to play in(all gained up,etc.).It will become apparent,however, that there will "ALWAYS" be resonant frequencies,from night to night,stage to stage-that can result in muddy,or ringing feedback.All the great players,every one,at the formative stages of their careers-learn to physically block the pickups from the amp,with their body...find the Sweet spot on stage where the guitar sings.This is how soundchecks are used-not to play w/ knobs.its about establishing turf,regarding the physics of the room,that day. No matter how you insulate yourself w/gear-at the end of the day...its ALL in the hands,period.there is no shortcut G

Archived