Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

music store guitar techs

Scott from MA

Seems like lately I've been hearing a lot of stories about people getting their guitars back from the tech, and there's still something wrong!

"creatura" is having what seems to be a ground-loop problem with his Tele. He's had the guitar at a "Fender Certified" tech a few times now, and had all kinds of work done, but it's still not fixed.

Brad (a.k.a. "frozen") had a new nut put on recently by a guy who "didn't have much time that day, so he didn't put on new strings." I would call that NOT FINISHING THE JOB!

One of my friends just asked me to do some fretwork on his guitar. He got it back from (I won't mention the store's name) a few weeks ago, where he had fretwork and a set-up, and the guitar has two dead spots! Granted, he could bring it back and they would surely fix it... but it shouldn't have ever gone out the door that way!

I know that when I do repairs for someone, I won't give the guitar back until I've checked it out thouroughly... however, I don't have 20 other customers to get to... I can take my time and do it right.

So... what's going on with these techs? Is it a matter of there being too much work for one guy, causing them to not devote enough time to each job, or are they just at a point where they don't really care?

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 08-27-2001 at 06:26 PM

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Scott from MA:

So... what's going on with these techs? Is it a matter of there being too much work for one guy, causing them to not devote enough time to each job, or are they just at a point where they don't really care?

Probably a little of both with a little ineptness on the side. I'm lucky in that the guy that does all my fretwork is a freakin' artist. If he ever moves away, I would be crushed.

------------------

KHAN (Always hopeful, yet discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

...and I'm lucky to live in Nashville, where I am good aquaintance to 3 highly skilled luthiers. Not one of which would stay in business if they treated the light work with disrespect, as you've reported. I don't doubt, however, that many techs, without famous or pro clients, drop the ball more often on simple setups. Despite the skill, you CAN'T do proper, precise work on autopilot. You have to care.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The real problem is that most 'Techs' at music stores are not really Techs, but salesmen that do this stuff in thier spare time. Some shops have dedicated repairmen but even they are often extremely limited in thier understanding of the guitar. It's sad really because the public tends to take thier instruments to these 'Stores' first before actually trying to hunt down a decent (read Caring) repair person.

I spent a great deal of time as the lead technician for the country's biggest guitar pickup company, I would troubleshoot problems for 'techs' all over the country. All I can say is AMAZING and SCARY. Of course I could never say anything, but my god, the thought of an instrument in the hands of some of these folks was down right scary. Even 'Techs' for the 'Pros' (I won't mention any bands) would call from the road with ridiculous questions.

Of course there are the real 'gems' but they are rare. I have surmised that there are only a handful of genius techs (meaning an all-out encompassment of the instrument) out there and they are usually VERY busy and underpaid.

Cheers.

Originally posted by KHAN:

I'm lucky in that the guy that does all my fretwork is a freakin' artist. If he ever moves away, I would be crushed.

I know what you mean! I do most of my own work (and a lot for my friends too), but when I have a problem I can't handle there's only ONE guy I trust. If he wasn't around, I don't know what I'd do!

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Archived