Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinberger guitars any good?

Lefty

Has anyone checked out the new remakes of the Steinberger guitars for sale on www.musicyo.com ? Looks too good to be true for $300. These are Korean made and all wood (not graphite necks/bodies as original Steinbergers were) but for this price if they are at least decent and have a good setup/neck/intonation I would consider one. Anyone have one - or heard anything? Details please!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering the same thing. BTW Do you play left handed?

------------------

[url=http://www.thedopes.net

Cause sometimes the rhetoric don't go with the contents

cause[/url] sometimes the rhetoric don't go with the contents.

Hey Trickfall,

Yup, I do play lefty, so I ALWAYS have to order a guitar rather than try to find a decent one anywhere (don't ya hate that?). They do offer these Steinbergers in left handed. So I learned to try to be cautious ordering one sight unseen. Hopefully somebody here will have tried one of these things.

Trickfall..

As I will start in Gibson customer service on Monday, I can only give you a partial answer now.

MusicYo! is a Gibson owned site, dedicated to selling a few low cost brands under the Gibson umbrella at wholesale prices. There aren't any middlemen. The savings is passed on to the consumer. That's part of why the instruments are very inexpensive.

I haven't played a new Steinberger guitar, so I cannot give you a first hand assessment of these instruments. At least you know you're dealing with a reputable dealer, which is half the battle doing e-commerce.

I'm a lefty as well, but I play righty. I've never understood the lefty/righty thing in regards to playing guitar and bass. Just fretting and strumming a guitar requires significant work from both hands, and the mechanics are so alien to any other task, that it seems pointless to learn these instruments lefty. That said, it's apparent you have played for some time, making it rather pointless for you to change now.. unless you'd like to walk into a store, pick up most any new instrument, and start playing it. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Good luck in your search, and feel free to email me with questions regarding MusicYo!, Steinberger, or other Gibson brands. As soon as I'm up and running, I'll be happy to answer them.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks for the info fantastics,

Good to know that about MusicYo. Yes, I totally agree on the Left/Right playing issue. I NEVER would have learned this way if I had known better, but starting when I was young, no one ever told me differently to pick up a guitar like a right handed player does, and it was much too ingrained by the time I learned the lesson. Believe me, it would have made my life much easier and I certainly would have done so would I had known the major inconveniences of being a lefty player. Steve Morse (one of my heroes) is actually left handed and plays right handed - I heard him say he thinks this is actually a more natural way to play. he attributes his left hand fingering dexterity to this. Hard to argue with that opinion - few can match his skill level for sure!

Good luck at Gibson man, sounds like a good job.

Originally posted by Lefty:

Thanks for the info fantastics...

...Good luck at Gibson man, sounds like a good job.

Glad I can assist you. Thanks for the encouragement.

I once tried to learn lefty, just to establish whether I could play better one way or the other. Never got past a few basics. I usually fingerpick and I keep my nails long. Didn't want to cut them to allow my right hand to fret notes! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Good luck

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey, Neil,

Congrats on the Gibson gig! That's pretty impressive....

As to the liberal/conservative thing... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif...it's probably a lot like swinging a baseball bat. Whatever feels natural to you is the way you should do it. If you're a southpaw and feel like playing right, fine, but if you feel like doing the Hendrix thing (or Cobain for the grungers out there), that's okay too.

I knew a right handed guy who played a fine lefty Tele...because a birth defect had stunted the fingers on his left hand. But he did great as a lefty.

By the way, Lefty, how's Saginaw these days? And give my regards to Pancho!

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The first time I ever picked up a guitar it was a crappy old righty acoustic and I picked it up left handed. It's just what feels right for me witch is well worth the limited choices I face. It also seems a lot easier now to get a decent left handed guitar than when I started out.

Originally posted by Tedster:

Hey, Neil,

Congrats on the Gibson gig! That's pretty impressive....

Thanks Ted...

I guess I'm a day job guy now. At least it's within the music industry! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif My goal is to start performing again, locally. It's been quite a while for me. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Addendum: I asked about Music Yo! at Gibson today, and discovered they are NOT owned by Gibson. They license several brand names from Gibson for exclusive sale, including Steinberger and Kramer.

Incidentally, there is preliminary talk of building synthetic Steinberger guitars and basses again, in the future. One can only hope... (The current crop of foreign made Steinbergers incorporate all wood construction.)

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks for the update on MusicYo.com once again fansastics.... but does anyone there at Gibson have any info on the current wood Steinbergers at all? Anyone play one, or hear comments good/bad? Are they made by a reputable plant?

Originally posted by Lefty:

Thanks for the update on MusicYo.com once again fansastics.... but does anyone there at Gibson have any info on the current wood Steinbergers at all? Anyone play one, or hear comments good/bad? Are they made by a reputable plant?

I'll have to check Tuesday regarding the plant. The one we have in the office plays well, feels like the synthetic necked ones (although I know they are different), and sound great.

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

funny that i ran across this topic tonight. i just came from a steinberg related site www.edromanguitars.com he's a pretty opinionated guy on the subject of these gtrs., and there's ALOT of info and pics there. i am also interested in these gtrs. i just wish there was one close by that i could ck out. (i'm in FL. ed roman is in CT) ALSO you can add me to ranks of lefties that play righty. my father brought a guitar home and after changing strings back and forth a couple times whenever i wanted to play (he's right handed) i said forget this, and learned right handed.
Those who can,do. Those who cannot, usually run the monitor mix.

Archived