Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tell the truth ... about your guitars

michael saulnier

Wow! Lots of guys and gals with lots of guitars!

I suffer through life with an old plain jane SG. A Yairi 6 cutaway, and my 12 string Yairi. Oh yeah, an ibanez is frequently leaning against a chair in the practice room too. I replace strings for important gigs or serious studio work. Other than that I'm basically a pig. I love to play em.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have to admit to using only three of my four guitars

1--epi sg junior, added a seymour duncan humbucker in bridge position, great sound, looks awful, always has new strings since it is used about every sunday in church

2--fender duo-sonic, mexican, another inexpensive guitar, plays good due to shorter wider neck, sounds okay, but only with effects--plan on replacing pick-ups one day--frequent use, newish strings--new strings don't really make it sound any better

3--ol' faithful--old fender acoustic with pick-up added for use in church many years ago--we to nam with me, survived too--good sound since the wood has really mellowed over the years, but doesn't see many fingers lately due to other recent additions--currently, the strings are old

4--my pride and joy (are you listening, fantastic sound?)epi ea-250, 1972 model with vibrato tailpiece--immaculate condition, fantastic sound, always new strings due to frequent use--sounds good with or without amp

i keep all my guitars in hardshell cases unless they are being played, except the old fender acoustic (gig bag) although i have to admit the duo-sonic's home is on the cheap side--the very cheap side

guitarstu

Hey - I know what happened to Guitar George. He tried to learn some new riffs so he became Curious George, then tried swinging on a vine to get a bass note, and hit a tree, so he is now George of the Jungle!
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Hey guys. I am still around here lurking. I am the laziest person when it comes to restringing my guitars. I have 12 (including 2 basses)but for the most part on rock/funk gigs (or when I am too lazy to drag extra stuff)play

one of two old strats. One is a 1958 fiesta red refin all stock and a 1960 slab board in seafoam green, also a refin. Since I play them a lot I change strings every week. I play lightly and rarely break strings, they usually go dead before I break them. I also play a lot of standards/jazz/ real book shit, for that I use a 1991 L5 with D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds and those seem to last a while,until they start to pit they sound okay. Flats always seem dead anyway. Also, with Gibson guitars, it seems like I am more conscientious about polishing them when finished playing for the day. Not with fenders. I guess I want to "relic" them. Also, I always dry off my strings when I'm finished playing for the day. Other guitars I have, I always at least try to keep fresh strings and tune them to pitch and always keep them in the case if they are not being used. It seems safer that way. I live in San Francisco and in 89 when we had the quake here I had a 1970's 345 on a stand, it fell during the quake and the neck snapped. So always in cases if not being used. Here humidity is not an issue so I do not have humidifiers in my acoustics or cases.

Take Care Guys

George

my two cents-frankly,imh experience-it takes three weeks,before my strings feel "right". My domain is almost exclusively studio,and i use a '72 tele(rosewood fngrbrd),and a 1960 gold top lespaul,primarily.I think the string "killer" is the lights(and sweat)!,of live performances.Once the 11's or 12's sink into tune,i'd hate to change 'em! unless i break a string(or two),my guitars are almost impossible to hack out of tune. I believe the gtr and strings(barring a real physical ailment),develop a relationship-involving the player,and intonation,that dosen't like to be disturbed.Now i use my guitars,with a myriad of players,during recordings.My point is,if the instruments are stable,and maintained well-they can perform,scandalous deeds superG

Guitars out on stands and hanging on the wall. I retune and string them in rotation. It's like a ritual always keeps me playing and ready to record. They seem to tune and intonate and sound brighter when the strings are new. I usually change the strings one at a time and bring them up to pitch before going to the next string. Little E then big E; 2nd string, 5th string, 3rd string, then 4th string. Bend and strecth on all strings. Never use the whammy bar until the tuning is stable. Pencil led in string windings over saddle and nut. In the nut. No string trees or as close to the same height as the nut as is useable. Guitars Candy Apple Red '62 Strat original, Godin LGX-SA ( I do a lot of stuff in my Project Studio with Digital Guitar doing bass etc.) Ovation Celebrity, Yamaki Acoutstic. Washburn Bass.

Archived