Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I just got back from an Aerosmith concert...

Tedster

Sorry, this is a cross-post...but not everyone here frequents all the forums, so I thought I'd get some feedback from you all...

I just got back from Sandstone Amphitheatre here in the KC area. I should have stayed home and spent my ticket money to hire people to walk in front of me, and gotten out my CD player and played a couple Aerosmith CDs.

We bought our tickets when they went on sale. We bought lawn seats, we've always had good luck at Sandstone, even with larger concerts. But this SUCKED BIG KIELBASA.

Sandstone over-sold the tickets...partly due to what should have been a neat idea. Aerosmith had two stages...the main one, and one where the FOH normally would have been. According to a Sandstone employee, the venue didn't find out about the extra space being taken up by the extra stage until a week before the show. Add that to over-selling tickets (probably by a couple thousand)...and it was a disaster. The sloping hill where the lawn seats are flattens out at the top...meaning that for the whole show...I couldn't see anything. If I stood up and walked thirty feet forward (nearly impossible due to the HUGE crowd)...I could see the top of the main stage light trusses. No more. Couldn't see the big-screen monitors. The sound was muffled by thousands of bodies in front of us. I might have well stayed at home.

The extra stage idea could have been cool. At one point I did walk down far enough to see that the band had left the main stage and were playing on the "FOH" stage. But...I'd have to say the venue and the promoters dropped the ball big time on this one. Big time obstructed view...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that the show was so lame. I'm sure tix weren't cheap either! Sounds like you would have had just as much fun if I kicked you in the nuts and stole your wallet.

The 2 stages coud have been a good idea... and probably was cool for the people near the 2nd stage... but apparently it was poorly planned.

I gotta say, I wouldn't have spent any $$$ to see Aero-sync in the first place. I saw them a few times in the 80's and they were good. Last time I saw them was 91 or 92, and they were already starting to go downhill fast. These days, I think they are just an embarrasment. They don't write their own songs, they're selling their name to every product under the sun, and they direct their marketing toward the TRL crowd. Hmmm... sounds like the latest boy-band to me! Time to pack it up guys!

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Originally posted by Scott from MA:

Sorry to hear that the show was so lame. I'm sure tix weren't cheap either! Sounds like you would have had just as much fun if I kicked you in the nuts and stole your wallet.

Actually, that may have been more fun. I had less money in my wallet than the tickets cost, and I feel like I've been kicked in the nuts anyway.

Well, about the other stuff...I can't complain. I admire their longevity. Joe Perry (what I could hear) sounds a lot better live than on his records...and Tyler can still scream his scrotum off.

Posted by Scott from MA

>>>Sounds like you would have had just as much fun if I kicked you in the nuts and stole your wallet.

-------------------------------------

Sounds like promo for the "A Night in the Ruts" album.

"More fun than getting kicked Right in the Nuts, "A Night in the Ruts"!!!!

------------------

-----------

KHAN (Always hopeful, yet discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by Tedster:

I admire their longevity.

Oh, so do I... don't get me wrong. Even though I was never a huge fan, I always respected them. I'm just a little bitter toward them now. It's difficult to watch a band you looked up to doing things that make you cringe.

I felt the same way when Page and Plant toured a few years ago. They were my heros growing up, but when they got back together they just seemed ridiculous. It's like looking at Adam West now and remembering how cool you used to think Batman was.

Scott

My wife and two kids went to see Aerosmith at Hershey Park stadium. They said the show was great.

My son (10 yrs old) couldn't see and the security guards and stadium employees felt bad for him. He was sitting on a security guard's shoulders when the band took the mini-stage (for four songs). He high-fived each band members as they went by. They also took him right up to the main stage later and Steve Tyler slapped hands with him. Pretty exciting night for a little kid.

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Originally posted by gatorwing@aol.com:

He high-fived each band members as they went by. They also took him right up to the main stage later and Steve Tyler slapped hands with him. Pretty exciting night for a little kid.

I'll give credit where it's due... that's a COOL rock-n-roll thing to do! A lot of "superstars" would be too busy stroking their own ego to make a kid's day like that.

Scott

Tedster - sorry to hear about your bad seats and crappy sound at the show you saw. I know I'd have been really disappointed myself and will tell you that I've walked out of shows before when I've been in similar situations. I think you should take a few minutes and write a letter to the head of the venue, enclose copies of your ticket stubs and request a response. You never know, you may get comped with better seats for another show to make up for your bad experience at the Aerosmith show.

I had the opportunity to see Aerosmith three times on the current tour - two shows at Jones Beach in NY and one show at PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ. At PNC, the band had the two stage show and I must say that it was a great idea and it went over extremely well. It definitely did bring the band closer to the audience and it was a pretty cool idea. Unfortunately, the venues weren't always equipped for that type of set up and so it wasn't possible to do it at Jones Beach because of the way that venue is set up and there wasn't anywhere to place a second stage. As we all know, security and acoustics definitely can vary signficantly from venue to venue and some are better than others in both areas, as far as both sound and security go. Joe Perry told me about the first night in the tour, in Hartford, when the band walked out through the crowd to the second stage with practically no security and just how scary that was for them. They barely made it to the second stage with their clothes and instruments. Needless to say, that wasn't going to happen again! In NJ, they were completely surrounded by security guards with their arms locked together so the band wouldn't be mobbed, as they had in CT. I thought the shows I saw went over extremely well and the band really went all out to put on an excellent show. The set list was great and they played a lot of the older material they hadn't done in a while, but varied the sets from night to night, so it kept things fresh and exciting for the audience. Having seen Aerosmith many times in recent years, I can honestly say that they were in top form on this tour and sounding better than ever. If any of you do plan to catch Aerosmith on this tour, I'd suggest contacting the venue and checking out the stage situation to find out if they will be able to have both stages set up, then select your seats accordingly. As far as the sound goes, you probably know which venues in your area have the better acoustics.

>>The set list was great and they played a lot of the older material they hadn't done in a while, but varied the sets from night to night, so it kept things fresh and exciting for the audience.

I heard a muffled "Seasons of Wither" from Get Your Wings...one of my favorite tunes...not a rocker, but a classic nonetheless. It would have been great to see the show.

What are they, stupid? Going out in that throng with no security! Geez...

Yeah, I have a number to call, given to me by someone I promised not to name, a number I'm not supposed to have (to the venue)...to complain to.

Archived