Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Acoustic Guitar?

Fred

I'm shopping for an acoustic guitar for studio work. Number one objective, of course is a guitar that records well. I'm pretty impressed with the Taylors and I'm leaning toward the 410 which I can get for around $1000. I also tried out a couple of Gallaghers (Doc Watson and Ragtime model) which I thought were a little superior to the Taylors but at a price tag of $2000+ I'm wondering if they are worth the difference. I may be wrong but I think the Gallagher might be a better investment. Any opinions on these guitars or others will be appreciated.

Fred

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently tried out several Martins, Taylor, Guild, and Takamine acoustics, all high end stuff...then I picked up a Gibson Hummingbird...the others didn't quite match the exquisite tone and resonance of the Hummingbird. Chords were clear and well defined, no mud anywhere, amazing tone, and single note runs rang out just as loud as the chords. There were two Hummingbirds in this guitar store and they both sounded fantastic!

Deciding on a high end acoustic can be a difficult decision...take your time...be sure! Good luck!

Fred,

There's a giant world of guitars that fall in the $1,000 to $2000 range.

But, are you thinking of buying your guitar as an investment?

Don't do it, buy a guitar that "talks" to you, fits your hands, makes your ears drool, and your eyes water...

For me that was my Taylor 710-BCE... (one minute after I played it, I bought it... love at first sight).

But it could have been a Collins, Froggy Bottom, Breedlove, Martin, Gibson, Larrivee, or dozens of others...

Check out this website... http://buffalobrosguitars.com/.

These guys carry LOADS of high end stuff, are friendly and knowledgeable and have an awesome "upgrade" policy that lets you use the value of one guitar against the price of a new one... (no I don't work for them, just a happy customer!)

But you're never gonna sell your "baby" now are you?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I don't know about the Gallaghers but I would try to get above the Taylor 410 if possible into a 510 or 12. I agree, a good Hummingbird is probably about as versatile and safe as you can get.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Well I agree with the above... If you're looking for an investment

buy stocks and bonds....if you want to play music then buy a guitar

that plays well and sounds good...you know when you find the right

one....mine was a taylor 510 which I play now more than my electrics.

the 510 has about the same features as the j160e with the exception

of the top...the other guitar player that i play with plays a 410 taylor..

gee maybe i should call taylor about an endorsement??..but we

both really like the taylors....and i also tried martin and seagull

and larivee..just depends on your fingers and ears....

laters

Just found a Gibson Dove and Nartin DCME in today's newspaper. I'm on my way to check them out. I know the Dove is similar to the Hummongbird but not familiar with the Martin. Any opinions on these guitars?

Fred

Can't help you there, Fred. But I can tell you this...

I have an Ibanez 'beater' that I used to jam on pretty regularly.

Recently, I wanted to record a new acoustic tune, so I borrowed my friend's Taylor 510. Ended up having the guitar for 2 weeks.

Now, I'm sorry to say, I haven't been able to play ANY other acoustic guitar. Of ANY kind. At ALL.

I'm irked on so many levels...

Steve

(pipch mem#3)

I'm partial to the Martins and Gibsons. An old J45 works well in alot of situations, as does a D28. They can get boomy though. My HD35 records well, for a guitar with such a strong bass response, of course it's an older one. Depends what you're using it for, backing rhythm tracks, fingerstyle, playing leads.....so anybody will be hard pressed to just recommend one guitar with that in mind.

I have an old Washburn (solid) that records well....it's bright and works for some things. As does a cedar toped Takamine I have.

If I had a grand to spend, I'd shop for an older D28....that's my druthers.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a 1970 D-28 for about a grand a month ago here in NYC. It needs a bit of work, but I love it. Plus, I have to carve out some of the bottom and upper mids when I record it, but it has the goods. So deals can be had.

I've heard very nice things about the recordabilty of the Larrivee's. A lot of technology in matching up the woods and bracing to get the best tones. I think they're in your range. They have a web site.

You might look at Lowden. These are Irish guitars and are wonderful to play and record. A used on in so-so shape will top out your $2,000.

Not a big fan of recording the Taylor's, wonderful stage guitars, however.

Check out Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island. The website is www.mandoweb.com. Very reputable, honest pricing (non-negotiable.)

good luck,

dave

This message has been edited by dj3 on 07-31-2001 at 03:17 PM

Fred,

You say you want a guitar to record. Record what? To buy an acoustic guitar we need to know what style. If strumming and bluegrass runs are your thing that by all means get a Martin dreadnought, preferably a D-28 or HD-28 (which is what I got).

You are a virtuoso playing up the neck, then avoid the dreadnoughts and look at other body shapes. GO OUT AND PLAY AS MANY GUITARS AS YOU CAN. You will then be able to figure out what you want.

Tip: go to George Gruhn (Nashville expert on vintage guitars) and see his description of the different body types for playing style. Or better yet, get in the pickup and drive to Nashville.

I think Martins are bright and responsive to strong playing. Gibsons have a dry tone (think John Lennon). Taylors are trebly and a little thin for me but Taylor owners are very loyal so please play some of them. There is a lot to learn so go out and play. One of my favorite boutique guitars is Collings.

I love nearly every wood instrument I get to play. They all have at the very least, a uniqueness about them. But for sheer stability, and sound/playability, a guild is hard to beat. My most played axe in the studio or living room is my Yairi 12. Positively orchestral....

But, the Gibbys' Taylors' Martins' etc are all great guitars. Play em all! You'll know which ones yours the second you feel it and hear it.

Good Luck! Rick

• 1 month later...

My Taylor 310BCE ($1,250 my cost new), the least costly in their line changed me forever. I am blown away by this guitar. And I went to the music store, who Taylor had told me had a large inventory of Taylors, to buy the 514CE... which is $2,000 street price. I played every model, including the HIGH end. Prices were not listed on the guitars. Picked this one up and like someone else said, within one minute, it was mine. I just love it. However, I have no idea how it would record. I don't know how you could solve your dillemma. If buying for live playing, all you need to do is go and play lots of guitars. For recording, hmmmm... how would you know?

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I own a taylor 612C and love it.

As an electric guitar player who sometimes uses acoustics per the needs of demos i record I found the action on all the taylors to be the best.

None of the other acoustics I tried had the same action - none came as close to the feel of a electric.

For me this was a big factor.

I also record the Taylor - usually two chanels simultaneoulsy one DI and one with an AT 4033 mike.

Its not as thunderous as a Martin but I have always been able to get it to work well either in mixes with other instruments or alone.

Playing with mike position, pick technique and EQ on mix down gives me all the flexibility I need.

Good Luck.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Archived