Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fret Size, What do you like?

Ace_dup4

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I like medium frets. I like to slur and gliss and the jumbos make me feel like I'm driving my car on a railroad track. They make my fingers sore. Great for bending strings but I need a compromise.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I'd kinda go with Khan. I'm a string stretcher...and I like to feel a nice anchor under my fingers...

The worst guitar (for me) I ever played was a Les Paul Custom fretless wonder. I couldn't bend a half step on that thing without my finger sliding off the string.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I like 6105's on the guitars I build. They are tall (which I like because I do a lot of bending) but not very wide which reduces that "railroad track" feel that Mac was talking about. Of course, the downside of narrow frets is that they wear faster.

A lot of my older guitars (especially the Fenders) have small frets. They feel faster, but don't bend as smoothly. My '63 Hofner Verithin has TINY frets... drives me crazy! When it comes time for a refret I will probably replace them with taller wire.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Originally posted by Tedster:

The worst guitar (for me) I ever played was a Les Paul Custom fretless wonder.

Yeah... Gibson uses 6130's on a lot of LP necks. They are really wide, but short. That profile makes them less susceptible to wear. Not a good choice for avid benders though.

Scott

The original Les Paul Fretless Wonder had the tiniest freys I've ever seen. I had an original 1954, the one with the P-90 at the bridge and the Byrdland pickup at the neck. I think they were narrow wire frets which were then filed down until it looked like someone glued strips of aluminum foil on the ebony fretboard. I may get death threats when I say that I had the guitar refretted. It was the only way to make the guitar playable. I played that guitar from 1966 to 1970 through a 1964 Fender Twin Reverb with Altec Lansing speakers and it was a great axe for blues which was what I played mostly at that time. I sold it and went back to playing Fenders around that time. Scott- are you referrring to Dunlop fret wire sizes by the way? I have a custom made Strat style guitar which has a wonderful feel and I would like to know what fret wire was used.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com:

Scott- are you referrring to Dunlop fret wire sizes by the way? I have a custom made Strat style guitar which has a wonderful feel and I would like to know what fret wire was used.

Yep, Dunlop wire. If it's an old-style Fender neck (with really small frets) it's probably 6230 wire. If not, you may be able to measure the fret with verniers and find the size on the chart. (www.jimdunlop.com/fret/fretchart.html) Of course, that won't be really easy given all the tolerances, not to mention that you'll need to know the nickel content and hardness. You are probably better off calling whoever made the neck and asking what wire they typically use, then seeing if it matches what you have.

Scott

Large, 6100.

People never talk about frets relative to tone, but I think they're as important as *anything* else. A big, heavy fret yields a nicer attack and bloom to a note IMO.

It's really weird. People talk about and market all sorts of saddles and bridges, based on tone... No one talks about where the other end of the string goes, which is the fret. People are strange.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by stanner:

people who make guitars know something

Hey... I make guitars, and I don't know ANYTHING! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 07-23-2001 at 12:26 AM

Scott

Originally posted by Ace:

Chip,

I listened to A Particular Bandwidth of Emotion and Majestic 12,

Very nice guitar work!

Hey, thanks, that keeps me going....

(Sigh... I've GOT to hurry up and get my electric projects done; I fear I'm becoming known as the "acoustic guitar player"... ahg..)

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived