Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Johnson Amp

seclusion

I was looking at the Johnson Millenium amp quit a while ago for live purposes..

I use a digitec 2101 studio tube pre in the studio now and love it to pieces.. But have used it live a few times and felt a little apprehensive in doing so.. The old fender stage 185 solid state amp is still going but really adds a harshness I don't like to the sounds..

Anyone used these babies???

I think it's the mellenium edition or somtin..

Thanx..

Brian

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Millennium and I like it. I got it in 1998 and at the time it was quite advanced. I use a GR-33 midi out into Korg Karma and I am now looking at the new Roland amps w/ the GK-2a input that seems to be more able to address my work w/ the GR unit.

I have had no problems w/ the Millennium and it has just about any amp model you could want. You can dl OS updates from Johnson and there are websites and boards out there that are devoted to the unit that have many user patches, etc. Support is good, too. It is heavy as hell, though.

Jim Sievers

As a former Mars associate, I can tell you the Millenium is very nice.. if you have the bucks! Line6 has become a little powerhouse by building decent sounding, inexpensive modeling amps and processors. Johnson has been a primadonna regarding their amps. It shows in the sound and design, but the price is pretty steep. If you have the money, I'd go for the Millenium every time.

The amp controls are familiar, but precise (digital readouts). The effects and electronic tool section is well marked, with a large parameter control dial, and relatively large, multicolored LED buttons to access parameter sections, tuner, and other controls. Very well designed.

Ironically, the J-station was a big disappointment to me, unless you're looking for super high gain timbres. The Pod ain't perfect, but it seems to have much more variation in timbres. Please, if anyone has had success with the J-station with tele and sweet strat timbres, fill me in.

Good luck with the decision!

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The Johnson amps are awesome. I work with them on a daily basis and have never had issues with them. Great sound, but they are expensive (but well worth it IMHO). I couldn't help but chuckle at Lee's comment, my friend thought that's what Johnson Amplification was when I told him I was getting one.

Matt

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

ah seems everything always dissolves into penis jokes....

we'll i've never used a johnson amplifier (though i probably should), but i heard they make a great "johnson compressor" for those times when a part just doesn't fit right....

-d. gauss

Thanx guys.. The local music store doesn't have one in..

They can get it but I didn't want to do that if there were prople with some problems..

I really hated the pod personally.. Not enough tweakin..

I rented a smaller Johnson amp and it didn't have the balls or the sounds that I would use..

Ya I knew it was costly but I've never really invested in a decent guitar amp ever so no time like the present..

Thanx again..

Later Brian

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

Archived