Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best mics for live acoustic

I know this is a complicated and probably over-asked question, but, I'm trying to get some opinions anyway before I spend more $$. I have two interests: good sound, and 'feedback resistance', if that even exists in a mic's characteristics. My friend and I play gigs that are usually parties, and as background music, we're often tucked away in a corner where feedback begins to be a problem 1/2 way through a set. We play with the following:

Martin D-41, D-28, Santa Cruz Dreadnought mahogony, Larrivee LS-9. I'm trying an SM-81 and AT-4041. The AT seems much more prone to feedback. Would a dynamic be better in these situations? We like the condensors when they work, but are willing to switch. I can go up to ~$300/mic. at this point. An AKG C411 is convenient and obviously no feedback, but a bit mid-rangy. These are small gigs BTW, <100 people. I sometimes use an inexpensive powered mixer (200W) or my small 4-track with ART preamp into a powered amp/speaker (60W). I can't always keep the small monitors we use directly behind the mic's, another likely source of feedback. At any rate, if anyone can suggest a mic appropriate for this situation, would love to learn about it. (neither one of us really wants to install pickups....yet)

thanks,

John

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John. I couldn't help but wonder, why don't you want to install a pickup? If it's the "under the saddle" piezo you're avoiding, would you consider a fishman rare earth "blend" soundhole pickup? I use on for my Martin OM28, and with a 40/60 blend of mic & pickup, you'd be surprised how true the sound is. If you insist on using mics (nothing wrong with that) you will probably never get rid of feedback without the monitors behind the mics - no matter what mic you use. Good luck, I'll check back & see what others say... I too am curious what mics are recommended for this applcation.

Maury

The standard for live on most of the riders I deal with is the AKG 451. While a good mic for the studio, I have never liked having to deal with these in a situation where feedback is a problem. I generally use the Crown CM700 with great results for live. It is also useful for many other applications like drum overheads and is good in the studio. For $200 it fits the bill for my sound company that does mostly the guy or gal with guitar stuff.

Don Goguen

Folk Cafe Productions

If it's a totally acoustic act, the SM81 is a damn fine mic. If you're in a full band, man I'd go with a Fishman Matrix or something like that.....otherwise it'll get ugly.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

hi, and thanks for the info. yes, I've been avoiding the 'piezo' sound, and did not want to drill any holes in guitar. But of course technology moves on, and with your description now I think I'll have to go find one I can "audition"....

John

Originally posted by mauryrutch@yahoo.com:

Hi John. I couldn't help but wonder, why don't you want to install a pickup? If it's the "under the saddle" piezo you're avoiding, would you consider a fishman rare earth "blend" soundhole pickup? I use on for my Martin OM28, and with a 40/60 blend of mic & pickup, you'd be surprised how true the sound is. If you insist on using mics (nothing wrong with that) you will probably never get rid of feedback without the monitors behind the mics - no matter what mic you use. Good luck, I'll check back & see what others say... I too am curious what mics are recommended for this applcation.

Maury

I've had good results with the Fishman "Rare Earth"

soundhole pickup, and have heard good things about the

"Sunrise" as well(Richard Thompson). Take a look at

your mike and main/mon speaker placements, too, as

this is most critical. I've had good success with

small Yamaha powered monitors mounted on mike stands

for smaller gigs... they're very directional and can be

"aimed" off-axis from your mikes. Try to avoid playing

in a corner. You're using very nice intruments. Guitars

with nice on-board electronics are available at very

reasonable prices now, maybe check some out for

usein this application. LOL and regards, Bob Wood.

I to had the same problem with a dobro, and ended up selling it as I could not solve the problem in a satisfactory manner. I now wish I didn't but anyway...

Have you tried a feedback buster thingy? I haven't, but the ads say they might be able to help you. The main problem with feedback and acoustics is the speaker signal resonating in the guitar body. You will find when you get feedback that it usually stops if you pull away from the mic. Correct? If so, one thing I found was to put a small foam baffle, about (I'm in Australia so I'll talk metric) 1 metre wide by about 1/2 metre high between your monitor and your guitar. It don't look real cool, but are they listening or watching?

Once you plug an acoustic in, it ceases to be a truly acoustic instrument does it not?

Haven't tried the feedback buster technology...I hate to add more stuff to what I have to haul around. Yes, the guitar is a main culprit..indeed to stop the feedback we just back off a bit. The foam idea could work, or anything else to help diffuse the signal in those places where monitors can't be placed where I want. Small monitors, as mentioned in another response, would also likely work well in our situations...

John

Originally posted by evil_kinevil:

I to had the same problem with a dobro, and ended up selling it as I could not solve the problem in a satisfactory manner. I now wish I didn't but anyway...

Have you tried a feedback buster thingy? I haven't, but the ads say they might be able to help you. The main problem with feedback and acoustics is the speaker signal resonating in the guitar body. You will find when you get feedback that it usually stops if you pull away from the mic. Correct? If so, one thing I found was to put a small foam baffle, about (I'm in Australia so I'll talk metric) 1 metre wide by about 1/2 metre high between your monitor and your guitar. It don't look real cool, but are they listening or watching?

Once you plug an acoustic in, it ceases to be a truly acoustic instrument does it not?

Archived