Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spinning My Wheels?

OpaBobby

First off, let me compliment you folks on a great forum. I've been watching and reading for a while now. And have enjoyed most of the conversation within the group.

As I walked out of my studio yesterday evening, I was asking myself how to get past my creative block. And, am wondering if any of you have suffered the same type of stalemate in the past. And, what you might have done to cure it. Or, if it is even important to do so.

A little background might help. Being a child of the "50's", I spent my teen years in Houston, where every other garage had a garage band. Mine being one of them. Back then you more or less drew straws to see who was going to play what. I drew the "bass" straw. Of course, like most of the other bands in the neighborhood, we weren't too good. But, we were loud!

After that, and life goes on, I played guitar, mostly acoustic, for years in the Navy. When, I got out of the Navy and got hungry, I dusted off the old bass and amp and found a local country band to play with. And, yes, I am a native Texan, that doesn't particularly care for country music. But, it at least provided a burrito, Dr. Pepper, and pack of cigarettes every night at 2am when the bar closed.

Anyway, after several years of that, I finally burned out. And, needed a change. Well, the change was radical. I became a computer programmer. Then along came midi. Wow, was this cool. I can make music and don't have to put up with musicians!!! I disappeared into the midi cave for several years. And, thought I was having a ball. Finally, I came to the realization (opinion) that an electronic replace for the guitar did not exist. So, (and I will get to the point. long winded or not), a couple of years ago, I went to Mars Music in Austin and bought myself a new guitar and amp.

Now to the point, since that time, I've invested in more and more equipment. And, religiously, every night I go into the studio. Turn everything on, and simply play my guitars. I've now invested in the what seems like the worlds most expensive jam. I haven't written anything or tracked anything in I don't know how long. I seem to be perfectly happy just jamming.

And finally the question, have any of you ever been where I am right now? Don't get me wrong. I am happy doing it. It just seems that after all the investment of equipment (ie: keyboards, mixers, monitor, amps, guitars, daw's) that I should be more productive. At least my wife, doesn't complain about it. She just figures the "Old" man is going through his second childhood.

Sorry for the long post. And, once again, I've really enjoyed reading your forum.

Enjoy Your Day,

AaV

----

Save something for the encore!

This message has been edited by AaV on 06-29-2001 at 11:04 AM

My family "coat of arms" buckles in the back. Is that normal?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey I hear ya....we have similar experiences. I grew up outside/inside Houston (West University, Stafford, and Sugarland), was heavy into the scene, got burned and supremely ripped off, joined the Navy during the OPEC lie, and didn't pick up a guitar for a couple of years. Then when I did I was self jamming...long story, but I was burned pretty badly in Houston so I just treaded water for a while....wrote a TON of songs however. I came back on the scene with a vengeance though.....and if you feel it in your blood, go for it. This will tell you how long ago I lived in Houston....I went to school at West University Elementary...back when it was a nice neighborhood!!!!!! And when there was no Astroworld or Astrodome.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I was in Pasadena. Back when it didn't.... Wait a minute, it always stunk!!! And I joined the Navy when my draft lottery number was 3!

AaV

Welcome aboard!

Hmmm, creative block...allow your mind to wander. I would say avoid listening to music. Let stuff pop into your head. Keep guitar and/or bass in hand. Jam with new musicians. Let the jams take their own way. Record 'em, so if any cool riffs happen, they're preserved...

Just some thoughts...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Other musicians are a problem for me. Living in the "boodocks", the availibility of other musicians is next to nill. There are some of the same old country players around from the past. But, it wasn't then, and still isn't my genre of choice. I think a goodly portion of my problem is; when I was doing only Midi, I was capturing the moment just from the nature of the beast. Now that I am mixing live with electronic. it is just too easy to turn it all on crank it up and play. Not taking the time to set up for recording. Guess I have to, now that I realize there is a problem, make myself finish what I started. So, I supose it's not soo much of a creative block. But more like letting the creativity be absorbed by the walls of the studio without saving it.

Probably the fact that there is no pressure on me to do more than I am doing is adding to the procrastination. Oh well, the music is stll fun in any format. Recorded or not.

Enjoy your weekend...

AaV

This message has been edited by AaV on 06-29-2001 at 01:17 PM

I invested in recording gear exactly a year ago, and I find it tough to finish a song or even get inspired sometimes. I put a time limit on myself so that I have to finish a song and get in on a disc every month. Even if I'm not completely happy with the final result, the time limit imposes the disipline I sometimes lack. I consider myself a pretty good guitarist and keyboard player, but I never real got into songwriting. It's a difficult process, and from my experience perspiration is probably more important than inspiration.

I never thought I would spend this much on gear. There has never been so much enticing gear on the market begging you to take it home. I keep telling myself that I have everything I need, and then I get the new catalog and something I've been lusting after has just come down to a very attractive price. The TC Electronic M2000 is now $699. How in the heck can pass that up ? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Hello Aav,

I think a good way to realize some of your creativity is to work on arrangements. I play guitar, bass, sax, mando, recorder and program keys and drums (sometimes using a live drummer) for recording. The best way I've found to actually get things done is always keep a little pocket recorder around. Then if I'm jamming on acoustic or electric guitar, I can put down chord progressions or licks on the spur of the moment and go back to them later to make songs out of them. I have a partner who doesn't play an instrument, but she can sing amazingly well and can write fantastic words and melodys. So if she likes a chord progression I'm working on, she'll take it and make it a new song. On about half of the tunes, I write the words and melody and she generally puts back up vocals on for me.

At any rate, I'll take an 'idea' tape and just play it till something hits me. Once it's sorted (verse, chorus, middle 8 etc.) I'll figure out the tempo I want and make a drum beat to match the feel and paste it for like 200 measures. Then I'll put rhythm guitar or piano down to get the skeleton of the song taken care of. Then it's bass, and writing a drum part to fit the bass line and then all the incidental bits plus lead go on. We almost always do vocals last.

I think what'll help you more than anything is figuring out a formula for putting a structure together. Then if it isn't working, just try loads of different arrangements till you land on one that works. We do all sorts of styles including pop, hard rock, psudo country and jazz, acoustic stuff (mostly acou guitars and mandos & redorders) even all synth stuff.

Finish an original song to your satisfaction and you'll be hooked!

Good luck

davecharles@musician.net

Archived