Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

-

I read about trick which sounds cool. If you wire one headphone out of phase with the other you will not notice a difference while wearing them but the sound leaking out will be out of phase and will cancel itself out. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it should work. I use a click sometimes too but if I have time I try to make a simple percussion track instead.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that's an loud click track.

I was recording acoustic guitar today and wound up with a quiet mix in the headphones and learned to play a little softer with the right hand. It was a good session and I learned to play with feeling without bashing.

O.K. I'm confused here, the click from the headphones is making it into your track but the noise from the computer (hard drive, fan etc.) isn't??? Just how do you manage that one? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I have to turn my computer off when recording my accoustic guitar because the fan sounds like a freakin freight train!!

The only suggestion I would have to get rid of it is maybe trying a parametric eq and dialing out the click frequency.

One question, are you using open backed (for lack of the correct term) headphones? If you are you might want to consider getting a good pair that completely surrounds the ear and cuts out external noise. Using a good fully enclosed headphone should keep outside noises to a minimum, and keep any sounds you are monitoring from leaking into the mic.

Man...either your headphones suck or you are going deaf...hahaha!

Been using clicks since way back...NEVER had one leak out of the headphones. But then, I've been using my old "vice-grip" Koss Pro4AAs...they don't bleed at any level, but they weigh a TON and feel like a bear trap after about an hour on your head. I still have 3 pairs, which I will keep in service, but I plan be getting something a bit more newer & easier on my head for critical, long listening sessions.

If you are recording into a computer...maybe there is software out ther that will generate a visual click/blip...?

Then there is the Russian Dragon...feed a click to one channel and you will get a visual cue, plus be able to see if you're rushing or draging the beat...

Hmmm...you could probably make something using a LED that will light up off the click's signal...come on all you DIY kids...anybody have an idea?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Well, I must say I'm kinda suprised your having that much trouble with it Popmusic. Maybe for a visual you could set up a drum track in your DAW and simply put a stick hit on every quarter note, then use the meter for that channel as a visual click track. You could even set it up so that the first hit of the measure is louder than the rest, giving you a visual que to the first beat of every measure. Never tried it before but it's the best quick fix I can come up with, personally I don't think my timing would be as good with a visual click as opposed to an audio one but that's just me.

Good luck.

heres one thing that has worked for me... In cool edit there is a noise reduction option that allows you to get a 'noise profile' and use it to remove any noise in your waveform that fits the profile. Make sure that when you get the noise profile its a selection of the music with no guitar, just the click sound, then apply the noise reduction to the whole wave, using the click sound as your noise profile.... This was actually one of the cool edit start up tips.... I have also used it to eliminate the computer fan noise....make sure that the profile is a section without music, like the very beginning of the wave before you start playing guitar.

Get a digital metronome (around $10). Mine has a button that turns the sound off; so you watch the LCD display that shows the beat as a series of round black dots that light up. Works pretty good and is silent. Only works in 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4 time, though.
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

I use a simple percussion track which I make with my LM-4 softsynth in Cubase VST. Having more than just downbeats allows you to feel the rythym better I think. This way it doesn't have to be so loud. Downbeats are masked by what your playing too. Drummers always have this problem, they can only hear the click when they are playing out of time.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Archived