Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sonny Landreth

strat0124

I was rumaging through my music collection, and stumbled on an album I haven't listened to in a while, Sonny Landreth. Talk about a kick ass guitar player, ripping slide work, tasteful play throughout. Just had to lift him up this morning, it's amazing how a re-listen can recharge you now and again.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sonny's a bad mofo. the eddie van halen of slide! wanted to go see him outdoors about 2 weeks ago, with marica ball but it rained. funny thing is marcia ball's supposed to play outside tonight for free but it's ummm raining....

-d. gauss

You ain't lying D'guass.......man we have some similar tastes....

I stole some of his licks, the open string hammer on and slide stuff he does up on the neck, but of course I don't do it like Sonny. He is definitely the most wicked slide player I have ever witnessed. I saw him with John Hiatt.....been a fan ever since. I didn't think many people knew who he was when I posted this......but the genre I am linked to, not many know them. Bayou Teche is one of my faves, as is Common Law Love. But if you get a chance to see him live, get up close, it's a sight to behold........

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

yeah john hiatt, sonny landreth, all cool. now tell the truth strat, were you excited several years ago about the little village record when it came out (nick lowe, john hiatt, ry cooder, jim keltner)??? i literally ran and bought that thing the day it came out......what a piece of (cussing seems to be out since the south park thread) poo-poo!!! so disappointed....

-d. gauss

yep....I'm guilty. Yeah I was very dissappointed. The only song I like on it is the song "Don't think about her, when you're trying to drive". It's obvious that Ry Cooder had the most control on that song. I play alot like Ry on slide, I was doing it by accident, cause I didn't know any other way how. In fact my brother heard something off "Chicken Skin Music" and thought it was me on the radio. I had to laugh.

It's a shame they didn't just jam, instead of doing the pro tools make it perfect album.....and it shows.

Archived