Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Acoustic Gig went GREAT!!!!!!

aframe9999

After years playing in bands, my wife and I did our first acoustic gig this weekend. Just her voice and my guitar.

Totally great experience!! The intimacy of the environment and the 'earthy'(?) feel of the songs was a real pleasant switch from the cacophony of a live band. The 'cool' songs were a nice switch too. Very fun. In fact, this was one of the most fun performing experiences ever!

Thinking about adding our drummer as a percussionist. congas, shakers etc.

So the question----

How do we get more of these gigs??

where can we target? I think at weddings and corporate gigs, people are wanting more 'danceable' tunes, and clubs want more volume and energy.

There has got to be a market for this kind of thing!!!!

Everybody should try this at least once.

Thanks for all earlier advice BTW!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If money isn't important, coffeehouses. If money is important, microbreweries. Small clubs, preferably those that sell food as well, that cater to a more, well, for lack of a better word, Bohemian clientele, and don't have room for a band.

I'd stay clear of sports bars, though, as the folks will be saying "Hey, turn that off, I'm trying to watch the game". There's a mindset that you don't want to deal with there...unless they have a patio. You could offer to play out on the patio for the summer. That kind of thing is reeeeaaally fun.

Choose a place where you can interact readily with the crowd, a friendly place. If a club owner is hesitant, "I don't know, I haven't done that before"...you can make 'em an offer like two nights for free just to see how it goes (if you don't mind doing that)...but don't let that get out of hand. It could pay off in the long run.

And, you said, just your wife's voice? You oughta toss in some harmonies...

A conga player is nice, but, maybe you could get your wife to add some percussion. Keep it simple for starters...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

If applause isn't important, HAPPY HOURS!!! Man I know some cats in CT that RAKE it in--like $300 EACH for a duo. Starting out, you can probably expect $50. Plus you play from like only 5:00 - 7:00 or 5:00 - 8:00 PM. Piece of cake...

Getting a percussionist will cut into your total earning obviously but I've found it can really help "rock" a band especially if he/she knows what they're doing.

I'd really recommend your lady learn how to play some acoustic too to help fill some of the sound and let you take a solo or 2...

hey man congrats on finding your "unplugged" self! i am very fortunate to play guitar/sing for a living. i play in 2 4-piece cover bands on weekends, but i play acoustic solo/duo/trio shows tuesday thru friday. that's the kicker - it's much easier for me to find solo/duo work (at least in my area - the poconos, pa) cause it's cheaper to pay 2 people, we can fit in a corner, not too loud, and as mentioned before - lots of cool "outside on the deck" gigs! i do notice that if a crowd wants to dance, we're the wrong ticket for that - but there's always that crowd that wants to sit back with a cold drink and sing along to that acoustic stuff ya just don't hear anymore... we do stuff from csny, james taylor, simon & garfunkel and it goes over great!!! get yer "art garfunkel" thing goin and you and your wife will have a ball. best of luck & let us know how you make out. oh and congas are the icing on the cake. a friend shows up at some of my thursday gigs and man, what a nice addition!

maury

Not to mention other instruments that work really well. A buddy of mine plays a pretty good jazz flute...man, does that ever set off an acoustic gig, even if only for a couple of tunes...

Originally posted by kudyba:

If applause isn't important, HAPPY HOURS!!! Man I know some cats in CT that RAKE it in--like $300 EACH for a duo.

Hey wait, woah... Could you explain the parameters of that? Are we talking two guitars/vocals, one vocal one guitar, what type of music, what type of gig, hours..?

The average duo gig in my town (second largest in Georgia) pays from $50 to about $150. I don't know of anyone doing wedding receptions, but that would be higher of course... are you talking bar gigs?

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Depends on your focus.

If you want to find a cause, or an agenda, if you will, the list of gigs opens up quick. My homegrown started out as a sort of spiritual quest. I played for lots of College and University English/Humanities/Religion Gigs. Later, a little more focused , and I found myself playing "like-minded" audiences only. Not much of an outreach... if ya think about it. So, switched to a "Jesus has left the building" thing, and once again, had a wider listening public.

Then back to the church, now back on a quest.(simply because so many people are in that boat)

On a secular basis, week nights at nice restaurants. Art Galleries, Book Stores, Summer Festivals.......

Congrats! on discovering a very personal and poignant musical venue!

I wish you great luck!

Rick

Congratulations on a pleasurable and profitable gig!

Was it you I posted to about doing conventions and weddings? It was someone in Indy...

I'll sum up...

Go to the convention halls and reception halls in town and find out who books the entertainment for these places. Someone working there should be able to clue you in to either a house booker, or a service that books a lot of entertainment in town.

Depending on what you intend to play, you can get gigs through them, or find clients yourself. Place an ad on the bulletin board at local bridal shops. You never know who will call.

Once you are established with a few gigs, they'll start recommending you, as will the guests. You may end up getting most new gigs from guests at the old gigs.

Also, check out which restaurants have live acoustic musicians. It pays well, and the ones that do it usually have upscale clientele. Better tips and more chance of booking a private engagement.

Good luck!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Congrats on your success!...

One reason people love acoustic singles/duos is because most live bands are too loud for most people.

If I had a quarter for every time non-musicians have told me that they hate bars because the music is too loud, I would have several hundred dollars by now.

But of course, try telling that to a drummer/soundman/Marshall owner...

Khan...

YES...that works well acoustically, 'cept I don't know if the flute player can stand on one leg and roll his eyes wildly while playing the flute.. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif One just has to get over that "It can't slam unless it's electric"...which is total bullshit. The unplugged thing is still cool.

fet said...

>>>If I had a quarter for every time non-musicians have told me that they hate bars because the music is too loud, I would have several hundred dollars by now.

Yeah, but what REEEEALLLY sucks is that a lot of times, the music is WAY too loud, and there aren't any musicians up there.

What really pisses me off at a lot of clubs is, okay, the band is loud. So you wait to yap until the band takes a break. And then some dumbass DJ gets up there, AND THE MUSIC IS LOUDER THAN THE BAND!!!

Well said! Mr. Ted!

Around here, most clubs are hall shaped and small. It's tough not to offend someone. But the DJ......

On a slight side bar, I just wafted thru another forum looking fer dat ideas... Does any one else notice the unique tone here?

rick

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Hey wait, woah... Could you explain the parameters of that? Are we talking two guitars/vocals, one vocal one guitar, what type of music, what type of gig, hours..?

The average duo gig in my town (second largest in Georgia) pays from $50 to about $150. I don't know of anyone doing wedding receptions, but that would be higher of course... are you talking bar gigs?

Yes bar gigs. Happy hours as well as occasional "regualar" gigs, where they play from 9:30 PM - 1:30 AM. Dave & Charlie are a duo in CT that have commanded this amount. They even do weddings as a duo. But these guys also have a tape backing track of drums and bass. At weddings they have been paid around $1,000 (total, from what I hear).

Hey fantastic-- yep, that was me in Indy. In fact since our 'conversation' we've booked two weddings and private party. No more clubs. So that train is slowly picking up a little speed.

As far as the Duo thing goes, It should be good.

In defense of kudyba, there is a duo here in Indy that gets MAJOR cash for gigs. Its a guy on the guitar, and the girl and him both sing. Great voices. she plays percussion and they also have about 2/3 of their songs very lightly sequenced. just a simple bass line and kick and hi-hat or something. Lots of party tunes, very upbeat.

They play bar gigs, weddings, festivals, corporate stuff. 2-4 per week. In fact they played at my company's annual party, and I know for a fact they got $2000!!! can you believe it? No sound guy, no gear rental, no agent. unreal. I saw the guy at a bookstore the other day and he was getting into a brand new purple corvette. So I would guess they are doing OK....

I'm not really into 'copying' their routine. And I'm also not making a living playing music. (too bad) But If my wife and I can clear $100-$200 together for something we love to do, that would be AWESOME....

------------------

Andrew

My Band:

http://www.encoreentertainment.net/rockcandy.htm

Originally posted by aframe9999:

Hey fantastic-- yep, that was me in Indy. In fact since our 'conversation' we've booked two weddings and private party. No more clubs. So that train is slowly picking up a little speed.

Very cool aframe.

As far as the Duo thing goes, It should be good.

In defense of kudyba, there is a duo here in Indy that gets MAJOR cash for gigs...

...I'm not really into 'copying' their routine. And I'm also not making a living playing music. (too bad) But If my wife and I can clear $100-$200 together for something we love to do, that would be AWESOME....

WHY NOT!?!?! If you and your wife can play the gigs they have, why not go for it.

You think they were the first duo in Indy to make real money giving people what they want, while at the same time having a blast doing it? Not that I think less of you if you're not INTERESTED in working full time on gigs. It's a tough life to keep running. There are dry spells and times you have to watch gigs get away because you're already booked. But it can work.

Have you spoken with the duo? If they like what you're doing, you may be able to get referrals on jobs that would conflict with their schedule. Use their noteriety to get better $$$ gigs. They'll know you'll return the favor if you can.

Great to hear it went well, and here's to more gigs!

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I guess the full-time gig idea isn't a realistic goal. Am I a little hesitant about walking away from the 'corporate world' to pursue a dream?

Sure I am!!!!

It's not that I'm in love with my job....it's just an ordinary, not-making-a-difference-in-society, saving-the-world type of job. But I know realistically that I couldn't replace the 75K or so income. At least for several years. And that transition is just too scary for me. If it was just me, or maybe just me and my wife, that might be something to consider. But I've got my daughter to think about.

I'd love to make a living playing music. But I'd also like to be a commercial pilot. or a fireman. That would be cool too. It's just not feasable to make those transitions finacially at this point in my life. (at least on purpose....if I lost my job and was forced to make some decisions, that might be different)

I'm afraid those dreams are long since gone.

However..........

I love the music. And I love the extra money that comes from it. It beats bagging groceries or delivering pizzas for extra cash. If nothing else, it is a self-funding habit....

This message has been edited by aframe9999 on 06-21-2001 at 10:21 AM

Hey, Andy...

I saw your website. No one in that picture looks "over the hill" by any means http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif. If you want to be a pilot...go for it. You only go around once in life...grab all the gusto..y'know??? I know a lot of couples who've "funded each other" through a desired career change. Y'never know...

Archived