Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Frisell

AlChuck

Just saw Bill Frisell's new quartet at Yoshi's in Oakland, CA, on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. They have these great Sunday afternoon matinees at 2:00 -- $5 per child, $10 per adult accompanying a child, or $18 for a solo adult.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a great show! Good that they cut rates like that so kids can get some culture! Did Bill just play the Oakland area, or are there other locations on the menu?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Who played in the quartet? I mixed for Bill at the Sutler in Nashville back in.. April I think. He had Victor Krause (Allison Krause's brother) on upright bass and Kenny ??? out of New York on drums. This band was incredible! I'd love to know who was in the line up for your concert.

Incidentally, Bill let's people bootleg some or all shows. I have a copy of the show I mixed, but the first set is virtually sans bass. Victor's Demeter active DI crapped out between soundcheck and show. Ouch!

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Tedster, not sure if he played elsewhere in the area, I live in a bubble these days, it seems. They were at Yoshi's from Tuesday through Sunday night.

fantasticsound, it was David Piltch on bass, and Kenny Wollesen on drums... and of course Greg Leisz on pedal steel/dobro/lap steel etc.

Yoshi's is having a flurry of stuff I'm interested in these days -- two (or three?) weeks ago I saw John Scofield, Bill Frisell yesterday, and the Gateway Trio (John Abercrombie-Dave Holland-Jack DeJohnette) on Thursday night... it's also the place I've seen Pat Martino and Wayne Krantz in recent years... great place!

That's quite a lineup! I haven't seen Bill Frisell in quite a few years but he is one of my favorites. I have been listening to one of his recordings lately. Called "Where In the World". I did see John Scofield coupla months ago here in Osaka though. I really like his playing. That was probably my buddy Ben Perowsky on drums with him by the way. Pat Martino too wow! He's one of the living legends to me. I did get to meet him once, what a nice and humble gent and a monster player. He's been through some heavy sh*t to say the least.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

The drummer with Scofield was Bill Stewart, actually.

Yeah, Pat Martino is one of the best... his playing just breathes so naturally, I just love the way it flows... it is such a miracle to have him still around and still creating after what he went through in the late 70's (for those who aren't aware of this, Pat Martino had a brain aneurysm (sp?) in the late 70's and after surgery he had to completely re-learn how to play guitar (among other things).

Imagine trying to learn to play like Pat Martino twice! He said in an interview that he learned from his own records the second time. Apparently as his brain healed he bagan to regain his memory but although he could hear music in his mind he didn't know how to play it. What an amazing recovery. I actually like his playing more now. I hope he comes to Japan soon so I can see him play again.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by AlChuck:

fantasticsound, it was David Piltch on bass, and Kenny Wollesen on drums... and of course Greg Leisz on pedal steel/dobro/lap steel etc.

It was Kenny Wollesen on drums for me, too. He didn't have a steel on the gig, here. Wish I could see that. I used to hate steel. Sappy old country stuff. Now I love the instrument, even the sappy old country stuff! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Is it just me, or does Kenny look like anything but a world class musician? He's a phenomenal player, though. He moves his arms as if he were conducting, instead of playing drums. Every note was j-u-s-t r-i-g-h-t. Wow!

Yoshi's is having a flurry of stuff I'm interested in these days -- two (or three?) weeks ago I saw John Scofield, Bill Frisell yesterday, and the Gateway Trio (John Abercrombie-Dave Holland-Jack DeJohnette) on Thursday night... it's also the place I've seen Pat Martino and Wayne Krantz in recent years... great place!

I really hate you right now, AlChuck! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif My only reprieve is having worked with Bill, and with Abercrombie/Bob Mintzer/John Patatucci/and Peter Erskine on a gig/clinic at Mars two years ago. I still envy you right now! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

This message has been edited by fantasticsound on 06-20-2001 at 11:31 PM

This message has been edited by fantasticsound on 06-20-2001 at 11:31 PM

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived