Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trussrod adjustment?

Allan Speers

I have always had Gibson guitars and Fenders with the "bullet" adjuster in the headstock. I'm very picky about my trussrod adjustments, and find that I have to tweak each guitar several times a year, depending on the season.

I just purchased a James Trussart Steelcaster (very cool guitar, BTW) and it has the Fender-styled "hidden" adjustment. I have never had to deal with this before.

Question #1: What is the normal method for adjustment? Remove the pickguard/ pickups, or remove the neck? I assume the former as you can at least tune to pitch and see the result on the neck.

Question #2: I HAVE to remove the neck on the Trussart, because when you remove the pickguard, there is a piece of body-steel going right across the screw. Arrrggghhh. So, any idea how many times you can remove a neck before the screws no longer hold tight?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have to remove the neck, the easiest way to do it is to loosen the strings a bit and then put a capo over the strings at around the 12th fret. This will keep the strings on the neck, so you don't have to take them off completely. You might even want to use two capos (if you have them) and put another one around the 5th fret. Also, if the guitar has one, tape the neck plate down before loosening the neck bolts. That way, the plate will also be in the right position when you go to put the neck back on. As for how many times you can remove the bolts, it really depends on the guitar. Just be careful not to overtighten them. Some guitars have longer neck bolt screws and if you really tighten them down too much, the points of the screws can start coming the fingerboard. I doubt this will happen on your Trussart, but I've seen it happen on some Fender guitars, so I thought I'd mention it as something to be aware of.

Archived