Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm going to try the acoustic duo routine......

aframe9999

I've been in bands for a long time and always have loved it. For a change (and maybe it's just a fluke...) the singer and I are going to try an acoustic duo gig this weekend at a backyard barbecue. It'll be her singing most of the lead and me playing acoustic and singing all the harmonies and a few leads. (we're even getting paid!!!)

So, 2 singers (1 male and 1 female), 1 guitar and a tambourine or shaker etc. for two hours.

Got any tips? I realize the vibe will be totally different than in a band situation. Much more intimate.

If it goes well, we might start doing it more often as a 'side project'

What should you try to do?

What should you avoid doing?

Thanks!!

Andy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What should you try to do? Have fun...it's a BBQ.

What should you try to avoid? Besides smearing BBq sauce on your guitar, I'd say avoid doing songs that don't translate to the one guitar and singer format.

Above all........HAVE FUN.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!

You may or may not make much money...but, it's really cool for several reasons...

1)...I think it makes you a better musician, 'cause you've got to fill in all the holes.

2)...It'll make you a better singer...and your harmonies will soar, because you won't have to keep telling the drummer to quit dicking around while you're trying to work on a harmony part. Oh, yeah, you can HEAR those really well.

3) You can practice on your front porch sans amplification.

4)...It's a challenge to strip down a lot of complex tunes to the bare bones.

5) (And this is probably the coolest)...You can play whatever the heck you WANT to play. Throw in a few familiar tunes...but all those "bar" songs we all hate...leave 'em at home!!!

To that end...toss in a few originals if you want, but don't play all unfamiliar stuff, as no matter how good you are, you'll lose your audience. One thing I'd suggest is throw in a few good "singalong" songs, tunes a lot of people know the words to. We usually have luck with tunes like "Black Water" (we use three voices, but I've done it solo before)...anything by the Beatles...stuff that you normally wouldn't play in a dance oriented electric band. Example...if you're doing Stones, instead of doing "Brown Sugar", do "Ruby Tuesday" (and watch all the old farts start singing along). But...you can rock it up with an acoustic as well...just listen to Pete Townshend. That acoustic version of that Peter Gabriel song is real popular right now.

People will ask for Dylan and the Dead, just to let you know.

Most important thing...have fun. Go play some coffee houses to get away from the drunks. You won't make much money...maybe some just from the tip jar, but the change in audience mentality is well worth it.

Keep us posted...let us know how you're doing...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Andy

Chill out, have fun and enjoy, I go out from time to time doing accoustic gigs and I love em. As Ted says harmonies become a real joy (even if I'm singing them) and you can play whatever you want. For me it is the only time I ever get to play covers and more particularly covers I really like. We strip them down and try to do whole new interpretations of them, it is great not worrying about the rest of the band for a change and I have found that we have had as a result some very special evenings doing them.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Andy, you gonna love it. I know I do. There is something more mystical in way the songs sound stripped off of all arrangements, right guys?!

I play alot on parties and I know what it's like... I love it! And the crap guitar sounds beautiful after few beers http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif. Just don't take any Martin beauties to BBQ!!! That's big no!

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

I played years and years in bands, only with in the last 8 years have I found my solo voice as a performer and songwriter.

The one tendency to avoid as a duo is overplaying. Your so use to the cacophony of a full band that when you strip it down it feels awkward. You tend to start to fill all the space up with your acoustic rhythms. You think it sounds to bare. Be cool and lay back with it, it;'s the implied beat you create with your guitar that keeps peoples attention. I found the more quiet and in control you play the more the listener hones in on you. Space is your friend.

Bottom line is have fun and don't grind like it's a record audition. Most people would love to have the nerve to get up in front of people and do what you do. They don't hear the little things that you hear. They're enjoying, not analyzing.

Have fun, play in tune and for god sakes keep the chick singer happy!

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Andy.

Good advice from everyone.

I'd only add that you could vary your performances by adding other musicians occasionally.

I have musician friends and I enjoy working up a song or two so that when we play an infomal or even a paid performance we can invite them up to play. We get a good response from the crowd and I like to have a solo on some of the songs.

Sometimes instead of another guitar player, We'll invite a percussionist. We also like to have a number of percussion instruments available for crowd participation... but only where we can "take it back" if needed!

Anyway... good luck with your duo. Why not make a recording and submit it for our compilation cd?

guitplayer

------------------

http://www.mp3.com/acousticvoodoo

Guitar Forum CD Info

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000537.html

This message has been edited by guitplayer on 06-12-2001 at 09:04 PM

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Hey there! Don't forget, if you play "in between" stuff in the full band context, you don't necessarilly have to change your parts to cover rhythm. Sometimes it sounds better to counterpoint the vocals, just as you might do with the band. They get the rhythm pretty easily, even with a sparse arrangement.

Other times a straight rhythm goes a long way to keep the peeps interested.

IMHO

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Your gonna love it! Nothing in the world as cool as finding and feeling your way around two harmonic vocal lines. Most definitly try to use the guitar as your accent. Let it inform!

Way cool... Good luck, and have a blast!

rick

I hear ya guitplayer......a decent acoustic guitar sound, two or three part harmony and a percussionist makes for a really fun time, and a full sound. SOunds like fun.....I do a solo performance the 29th at a wedding...and I may ask a percussionist to sit in as well. Have fun.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Some ideas that help me accompany the singer in my guitar/voice duo;

1) Play bass lines interspersed among / alternating with your chords; this will fill out your sound 100 percent.

2) Learn your accompaniments in all positions on the fingerboard; this improves your sonic variety. The more options the better.

3) A little chorus on the guitar signal is nice sometimes as a changeup.

4) Develop a strong enough groove early in each tune, and the audience will help you carry it; then you can diverge from it without ruining the song. Try to imagine a drum part, and play along with it.

5) Try for a clean, full-range guitar tone - a parametric EQ or equivalent is helpful - gotta knock out those ugly mids.

6) Stay away from too much digital reverb; overuse of this effect screams "amateur", IMHO.

Great Advice Gang!!!

Keep it coming!

I'm very excited. We ran through some stuff last night that I had never dreamed could be done acousticly. But it works. Mile mentioned how mystical a song can sound when it's stripped down. SO TRUE!! one example is 'Ordinary Love' by Sade. That song is all synth and sequenceing. I just play a funky rhythm and let Julie do the rest. (She's very good, by the way). It translates great!

I'll let you know how things go.

Ooohh...Sade....I just think about her singing and I...uh...nevermind.

Y'know...just for a difference...on Latin flavored stuff like that you might try to have a nylon string...just for a different flavor.

Originally posted by aframe9999:

What should you try to do?

What should you avoid doing?

Make sure you switch up rhythms fairly often so the strumming doesn't become monotonous.

Know that the rhythm is ultimately important; stay in the groove no matter what.

Learn to do chord melody soloing ala Hendrix/Mayfield.

Watch out for pushing your dynamics up against a wall; be careful not to strum as hard as you can right out the gate, leave room for dynamics.

A touch of chorus goes a long way to keep one acoustic guitar from sounding "plain". People expect something to sound "produced", unfortunately.

Always remember, the person walking up to you while you're playing is about to ask you if you "know any Buffet?" or Brown Eyed Girl....

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

re Chip's last post:

Jimmy Buffet = musical ipecac, IMNSHO. Buffet and his fans make me very, very unhappy, and I would appreciate it if no one uses the B-word on this forum again, unless it is to express disparagement, distaste, contempt or dismay, as:

"Buffet you"

"Eat Buffet"

"Blow it out your Jimmy Buffet"

etc.

A lot of Buffett (one or two T's) stuff is nauseating...but I remember driving down A1A in the mid seventies and stopping in a little shop. They were playing "A Pirate Looks At 40" off the album of the same name. I was kinda intrigued. He's done some interesting stuff...oh, not interesting from a "purely guitar" standpoint...but like anything else...there's a time and a place. Margaritaville sucks, though...unless you're in Key West and have just finished about your fifth or sixth Margarita. At that point damn near everything sounds good.

Archived