Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP: John Hartford

fantasticsound

John's known for his songwriting and banjo, more than guitar, but his association with the great Glen Campbell and others certainly makes his untimely passing worth mentioning.

The local news showed the private service, his trademark hat on top of the casket. For those who don't know John's work, among other songs, he wrote Gentle On My Mind with which Glen had a hit.

I was doubly fortunate to see Glen play a TV taping at the, then recently reopened, Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. It was a free ticket to a show spotlighting pickers. In addition to Glen, Steve Wariner and Mark O'Connor were guests. With the surprise inclusion of John Hartford.

At that time, Glen hadn't played in Nashville in years. The reunion, in such a wonderful space, sharing the stage on Gentle On My Mind is a favorite memory for me.

Condolances to his family. He was one of those special musicians that achieve success while flying under most of the radar.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>For those who don't know John's work, among other songs, he wrote Gentle On My Mind<<<

That song was the first song in a book of songs with guitar chords

(very hard to find guitar books here in the boonies back in the 60's)

I got for my birthday. First song I learned from it and after I

worked with it awhile the first song I learned to play a moving

bass line while playing the rhythm. I was sure I was slicker than

shit. Grinned for months http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif Some accomplishments seem so simple

in hindsite. But they mean't the world when they happened and John

Hartford was responsible for that one.

------------------

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnermusic

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

I remember watching him on G.C.'s show. I can't recall that he ever spoke a word on the show. I often wondered if he was hearing impaired. He was cool. The big band just got another picker! If enough of us make it, they'll have to mic the angels!

R.

Archived