Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A tip about fingernails

LiveMusic

Here's something I wish I would have known years ago. I have let my fingernails grow for over two months. Longest I've ever done it. I've groomed them all along but basically, have let them grow. And I can't believe how much easier it is to fingerpick. NEVER have I experienced this. In the past, I would always cut them before I got this far. Apparently, the trick is to have them get fairly long before they do much good. I have one bad one due to an injury but I hope I can get a nail stylist to put a fake one on it.

I haven't changed anything in my technique; it's just much easier now. The timing is better. The fingers don't "stick" to the strings.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Duke, glad that works...for you. I have brittle nails, and they'd break all to pieces if I did that. I've known folks who do that and it works fine. Not for me, though...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

This is a 200 year old argument among the classical guitar masters. Nails vs. no nails. Different sound, different technique. Both have their pro's and con's.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Hell Duke

I dunno how ya can do it. I've tried the long nails thing and a few of my mates have let theirs grow, and to be fair they do pick darn well..... For me though I'm afraid I can't do it, makes me play worse and I just hate the feel of long nails.... Yuuuuck

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

I don't like the feel of them either... being long... but I trust I will get used to it. But each day I play, I am amazed how much easier it is... that this is all it took... more length.

P.S. They are not even long enough to "pluck" the string with the nail. (I have a short quick and I have kept them VERY short all my life.) They are just now getting even with the tip of the fingers... and it's enough the the flesh has something to kinda press against. I think it's this "firmness" that's adding a millisecond of timing to each stroke.

It's a nail/flesh combo picking thing going on so far as they aren't quite long enough to pick clean with the nail.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I tried growing my right hand nails once.....bothered me way too much. Plus I like the dynamics I get using the fleshy part of my fingers, and use a bastardized strumming technique with my index finger when I do bluegrass licks or whatever. Ever see Ry Cooders fingernails? Looks odd, but obviously works for him.......the man is my hero, but I ain't growin my nails.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I've always had long nails on my right hand (about 3/16 inch). Totally dig what it does for my finger picking. I am blessed with healthy nails so that helps. Drink up that milk or take those calcium tablets boys!

--Lee

I'm 34, and my nails have been long on my right hand since I was 8, when I began learning to play guitar. I play a lot of fingerstyle, and I hate the drop in volume and tonal changes when a nail breaks close to the cuticle.

My thumb is currently 3/16ths of an inch

My index and middle are 1/8th of an inch

and my ring and pinky fingers are almost 3/8ths of an inch.

The natural curve of my fingers when I play yields a near flat plane to pick from.

UUUU Does this make sense?

It combines economy of motion with increased volume and dynamics, and I play more expressively, in other ways, with them.

It's more comfortable too, but don't be fooled, there are many times I wish I weren't addicted to this technique.

For example, when I play basketball, I almost inevitably break the ring nail. Clean, mind you. Almost needs no fixing, but I lose about half the length. Then there's times when they get bent backwards. Ouch!!! And when they chip my fingers catch on strings and clothes alike.

All in all, they're a pain in the ass, but I won't play without 'em! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Neil

This message has been edited by fantasticsound on 06-01-2001 at 01:54 AM

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

...and my ring and pinky fingers are almost 3/8ths of an inch...

...when I play basketball, I almost inevitably break the ring nail. Clean, mind you. Almost needs no fixing, but I lose about half the length...

Neil

And what do ya' know? Played b-ball at my inlaws house this weekend and popped the ring finger. Still playable, but difficult! Doh! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

There be two reasons why me nails be shorter than the fur on a fish.

1) I pull the strings to plunk a chord in a pattern and for me, the dynamics are easier to keep uniform.

2) I'm tryin' to keep my youthfull figure, and to have the ability to scoop at ten times the rate of a single corn chip scares me half to death!!!

Rick

I can't get any twang out of the steel string acoustic without nails. Sometimes they start to annoy me and if I'm not working on a song with acoustic I cut them. Takes about a week to get them back, I try not to cut them too short. I can't play acoustic without them though, not enough treble.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by skip:

I only use the back side (back of the hand) on acoustic-no thanks for the rest, unless I`m at a very unusual club...

Ok... Skip? I must have missed the joke.. or something else, here?

Could you re-phrase?

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived