Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

frets of fury

Skip_dup1

Originally posted by Tedster:

>>>Yes indeed

And besides, next time someone says you`ve got great chops-it`s a double compliment...

And, if you are a guitar playing karate expert with Elvis sideburns and own a restaurant that specializes in home cooked pork dinners, it's a quadruple compliment...

raotflmao

cool Ted, very cool

Simon

------------------

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now THAT`S a complement-

Say, didn`t Elvis study Kempo or something? so what we`re saying is, he had chops, chops, and chops...and if he was still around, he could have had chops, chops, chops, and chops.

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Personally, I have more interest in learning the forms of kung-fu than fighting; if there was a school that taught the forms without the risk of messing up my wrists or fingers, I would probably end up doing that - although it probably seems like a dichotomy.

No, I don't want to learn tai-chi at the moment. Don't say tai-bo, either...

If you can't find a Kung-fu sifu willing to teach you the forms, without the application, I think you're not finding a real sifu.

Not that application doesn't count. It does. But studying forms is one of the first steps in Kung-fu, and it's a LONG step if taught properly.

I'm not an expert, but from conversations with several martial artists, and a lot of research, I found that various styles of Kung-fu are some of the "softest" forms of martial arts. The "harder" forms, such as Tae Kwan Do and Karate, involve far more force against force, and therefore would be in more conflict with musical hand conditioning.

No doubt, that if you were to continue studying Kung-fu, eventually you would have to start toughening your hands. I suppose they begin with some of this as it is an ongoing process, but if your goals and motives are understood by your sifu... well he'd understand or refuse to teach you.

Check out Ju-jitsu and the sport of Judo. These too, are soft forms that redirect force, instead of opposing it.

Why don't you want to study Tai-Chi? From my limited knowledge, Tai-chi is EXACTLY what you want to study. Complex, flowing forms with no physical impact on your hands.

Someone with more experience please chime in!

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

And there are different forms of Tai Chi...the slow, methodical forms you see older Chinese people practicing in the park...and Tai Chi Chuan...which is http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif a bit more serious...hehehe...

Hey, Chipster...just give it a go. If it looks like something is conflicting with your musical regimen, you can change your course.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Why don't you want to study Tai-Chi? From my limited knowledge, Tai-chi is EXACTLY what you want to study. Complex, flowing forms with no physical impact on your hands.

Yeah, I know that about Tai chi but the kung fu forms are what I'm interested in, from essentially a kinesthetic/aesthetic point of view. I'm just not interested in sparring; I'm not interested in belts, either.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Then study Aikido...although Kung Fu forms are fantastic...

In some Aikido schools there are only two belts, white and black. But, a belt is a good way to measure progress.

I guess what I'm saying is, you'll never know unless you give it a try. Be up front with an instructor, tell them what you wish to learn. And, if a school is not what you're looking for, go elsewhere.

Ever heard of Capoeira? (I think I've spelled that correctly). That may be what you're looking for. It's a Brazilian Martial Art, which was originally practiced by slaves. To keep their masters off guard, they practiced it as a dance form, disguising its Martial aspects. A big element of that remains today, as the emphasis is on dance like moves, similar to many martial arts forms. But, it's quite acrobatic. Someone like me wouldn't be too good at it.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Then study Aikido...although Kung Fu forms are fantastic...

In some Aikido schools there are only two belts, white and black. But, a belt is a good way to measure progress.

I guess what I'm saying is, you'll never know unless you give it a try. Be up front with an instructor, tell them what you wish to learn. And, if a school is not what you're looking for, go elsewhere.

Ever heard of Capoeira? (I think I've spelled that correctly). That may be what you're looking for. It's a Brazilian Martial Art, which was originally practiced by slaves. To keep their masters off guard, they practiced it as a dance form, disguising its Martial aspects. A big element of that remains today, as the emphasis is on dance like moves, similar to many martial arts forms. But, it's quite acrobatic. Someone like me wouldn't be too good at it.

Ted, Chip

Our drummer is an Aikido 3rd Dan, I've been to watch him train a couple of times and it is a true art form. It seems to be one of those martial arts that is heavily technique based, you know that kinda minimum effort for maximum result thang... I was very impressed at their skill and presence of mind. They also do sword stuff which was scary but again incredibly skilled...... Did you know that Aikido is the martial art taught to the Japanese police which must make it one of the most potent?

Simon

------------------

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Yeah, I know that about Tai chi but the kung fu forms are what I'm interested in, from essentially a kinesthetic/aesthetic point of view. I'm just not interested in sparring; I'm not interested in belts, either

This would make you an ideal kung-fu student. Most times martial arts instructors have to battle their students willingness to achieve "notches" on their belt in combat.

Have you ever heard the comedy group, The Frantics, do the improv. Tae-Kwon-Leap?

(In completely calm, buddhist monk voice) Boot to the head!

Ffffphhht~!

(Annoying student, in a shakey voice, on the floor) That was a lucky shot!

(Monk)Boot to the head!

Ffffphhht~!

(Student) Auuughhh! Let me try again!

Boot to the head!

Ffffphhht~!

(Student, now totally disoriented) I.. think.. I'll rest.. here a moment.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey Chip! Make sure to take the Dobro to the Dojo! ack, ack, ack, ack.... Oh Olive! sometimes I keel meeself! ack,ack,ack,ack!

Honestly, unless your into examining the grind, anything that helps to free the mind of excess emotion is pretty healthy.

rick

Well, I'm not interested in measuring progress - I'm interested in purely selfish intellectual reasons.

Ever heard of Capoeira? (I think I've spelled that correctly). That may be what you're looking for.

Yeah! I haven't seen/heard of a place that teaches it, though. I really don't have the time for it, it's something I would probably pursue if I had my life together enough to allocate "free time" to such a thing. I can't seem to find time to ride my mountain bike anymore.... I will remain a dillettante I'm afraid.

------------------

Thanks, guys-lotsa cool thoughts flyin around here-

(Somebody`s gotta tell me how to grab quotes and put em in the reply box)

Simon-Aikido is popular among security/law enforcement types for two main reasons-one, it teaches disarms, as in taking things like sticks, knives, etc. away from people. Two-from the Dirty Little Secret dept., is that knocking the heck out of someone leaves marks, and that is a good way to get police brutality problems going. However, if you just apply submission/pain techniques-no evidence...but as for the `most potent style`, that is an endless debate with no real answer. There`s only what suits an individual.

Which brings me to Chip`s point about the ranking thing. Dude, don`t even worry about that unless you are interested in becoming an instructor or something. I`ve been doing Aikido since 1992, and I`m still at the lowest rank! That`s mostly because of the timing of tests and moving around, but

I just do it anyway.

Broadly speaking, in Kung Fu ya got the internal styles, which focus on breathing techniques and building chi energy. Hsing Yi is a popular example. In application, these styles may be equivalent to Star Trek`s `evasive maneuvers `-fast footwork, unusual angles, etc. Attacks focus on the soft points of the body. You still want to get some finger strength for those, but in general it`s easier on the body. Then ya got the external styles, which like to toughen various parts of the body-praying mantis guys like the forearms, tiger and eagle claw guys like the fingers.

In application, getting a block from one of these guys is the same as getting hit-attacks are more direct.

Kung Fu is further divided into the Northern schools, which are the more `hard` applications-not so much to look at, but maybe somewhat more practical-and the Southern schools, which are more dancelike, acrobatic.

I studied a Northern system, and my teacher even plays a little guitar-but he also does jumping pushups on his knuckles. Anyway, hopefully that will help guide you to the right style for you. But, all schools will take it easy on you in the beginning. No one expects you to be punching nails into boards right away. I`ve had to explain my situation to several teachers, and they`ve been very cooperative. One fellow said he was looking forward to hearing some of my music. Also, there are exercises you can do as warmups and cooldowns for your hands, such as Do-In. A big wad of gum eraser is essential gear, too.

Originally posted by skip:

No one expects you to be punching nails into boards right away.

The thing is, I don't want to punch *anything at all*.... I can not risk sparring *at all*; and like I said, I'm not interested in belts whatsoever, so doing a program intended on ascending a ladder of skill towards that goal isn't a desire. Just the kata/form side of things, minus any risk of wrist/finger damage.

------------------

Hey Chip

Tell the teacher exactly what you told me-if he says `yeah okay` but then doesn`t follow through on it (a possibility), then go elsewhere. There are many excellent forms champions out there-I met a young lady from

Russia in March-(man, was she cute), who was a major competitor in her home country. Just a note though, in Kung Fu even forms can involve conditioning-if you`ve even seen guys slap their foot, or elbow, it`s conditioning. Just take it easy and you can become really good and still save your hands.

Archived