Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

* * * C O N T E S T * * * Enter To Win!

Lisa

You asked for it.... Now here's our first contest offering for participants on the Guitar Forum. The prize is a $50 Gift Certificate for Music123.com, which is an online music retailer. The winner can spend the prize money towards any purchase. Check out the site at www.music123.com and you can see all the cool stuff available.

Here's the challenge:

Now that the warm weather is coming upon us, we'd like to hear your tips on how to protect your guitar during the summer. The person who submits the best tip will win the gift certificate and their tip will get published (credited to the author, of course) in the Musicplayer.com newsletter as the "Tip Of The Week." In addition to sending us your best tip, please tell us what you would purchase with the $50 certificate, if you were to win. Please post your entries starting now - this thread will close at 5 PM EST on Friday, June 1, 2001. I will select the winner, who will be notified by email on Tuesday, June 5, 2001.

Good luck, everyone!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Lisa

Yipideeeeedoooodah!!

Is this open to non US peeps as well?

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Originally posted by nrg music:

Is this open to non US peeps as well?

It's open to everyone! Music123.com ships worldwide (check out the site), so just be aware that the shipping charges may be higher for sending items outside the US and the prize is $50 to spend however you would like. You can put the money towards any purchase. However, if the total price of your purchase exceeds $50, you would be responsible for the balance.

Guitplayer hasn't posted yet. He probably saw this and dropped over dead...

Quick, smelling salts! Who knows CPR??? (Just kidding, Guit...)...

Hmmm, tips for summer handling of guitars...I live in a double H area...Heat and Humidity...Kansas City. Maybe not as bad as N'Awlins, but bad enough. I have real problems here...not the least of which the bridge on my Guild started lifting up. (Repair time). And, doing outdoor gigs here can be miserable in the summer, your hand sticks to the neck and your strings feel terrible...sticky-wet...your hand doesn't slide right on the fretboard.

So, being as I haven't really been able to conquer these things, I'll disqualify myself from the contest, and figure if I pick up some tips that work, I'll be the real winner!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Guitplayer hasn't posted yet. He probably saw this and dropped over dead...

Quick, smelling salts! Who knows CPR??? (Just kidding, Guit...)...

Hmmm, tips for summer handling of guitars...I live in a double H area...Heat and Humidity...Kansas City. Maybe not as bad as N'Awlins, but bad enough. I have real problems here...not the least of which the bridge on my Guild started lifting up. (Repair time). And, doing outdoor gigs here can be miserable in the summer, your hand sticks to the neck and your strings feel terrible...sticky-wet...your hand doesn't slide right on the fretboard.

So, being as I haven't really been able to conquer these things, I'll disqualify myself from the contest, and figure if I pick up some tips that work, I'll be the real winner!

Ted

You are truly a gentleman and a scholar http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Simon

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

(guitplayer comes to his senses after passing out behind his desk.)

... Ohhh... What... Momma?... Is that you Momma?...

...WOW!

This IS a CONTEST THREAD!

http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/cwm/big/biggrin.gif

I'll be back soon with my "tip" prominently displayed for all to see!

BTW... I knew Lisa would work her magic and charm someone into putting up a choice prize!!!!

Way to go LISA!!!!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Geez, I must be a putz!!!

I don't really ever do much to my guitars except try to keep them clean, check the intonation about once a month, and tweek the truss rod when it needs it. I know that's not much of a tip, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

OK...

Tip # 1.

Don't drive anywhere with your guitar in the TRUNK of your car. Even though you may be BLASTING the a/c in the passenger area, your trunk is just a big oven. I wouldn't be shocked to find out the temp back there on a sunny day could be 120 degrees or more.

If you "whip it out" of the case when it's all "hot", you'll run the risk of finish checking, neck warping, or worse!

As far as what I'd get for the $50.00?

I'm one of those people who buys a dozen picks and three days later they've all been "lost in space" or something... so I'd probably by a gross or two of my favorite Fender Heavy picks... in white if they have them...

guitplayer

This message has been edited by guitplayer on 05-25-2001 at 06:45 PM

I'm still "guitplayer"!

>>>If you "whip it out" of the case when it's all "hot", you'll run the risk of finish checking, neck warping, or worse!

guitplayer

----------------------------

There's nothing worse than a warped neck!!!...If you know what I mean. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Obvious tip #1

It's summer, you sweat. Wipe off your strings after you play the guitar. They'll keep much longer that way.

Obvious tip #2

If you have a problem holding on to the pick because of your sweat, buy some gorilla snot. It makes your fingers tacky so you can get a grip.

maybe i'll be able to come up with some less obvious ones.....

~clockwirk~

Here's a request for a tip...

Sure you sweat, and I do in fact wipe down the strings etc...but, is there anything (I hate to say powder, but something of that nature) that you can put on your neck and strings to keep them less humid? Something like finger-ease, but dry?

I guess the best thing would be to rig up a little fan where it's blowing on your hands. Probably sell 'em for 10 bucks at Wal Mart...

Originally posted by Lisa:

Now that the warm weather is coming upon us, we'd like to hear your tips on how to protect your guitar during the summer.

Always be aware of the humidity.

#1 Dangerous Scenario: a guitar, a sudden downpour - followed by extremely hot sunlight.

This is the best opportunity for sudden wood pore-opening situation to arise where excessive humidity is going to occur, and will be most detrimental I think.

So - in situations where a guitar may be on a stand on a covered stage, put it in the case, even though it doesn't have a chance of getting wet. Make sure guitars are in the case during extreme humidity.

If "extreme humidity" does occur - or "REALLY extreme humidity" occurs, as in rain on the guitar - it's best to be conscious I think of where the guitar is going immediately afterwords. If the guitar has been outside and is warm to the touch, it might not be a good idea to bring it into an air conditioned room where the air is potentially dry, where there will be a sudden temperature shift.

A *dry* guitar, sitting in direct sunlight (which one would probably want to avoid), going into an air conditioned building might not be a completely dry guitar afterwards.....

Conversely, a guitar that has been sitting in a fairly moist, air conditioned room probably shouldn't be brought out onto a stage where it's in direct sunlight and the air is relatively dry. This can't be helped in a lot of situations (been sitting around in the hospitality room at an outdoor gig, perhaps), but one can maybe try putting it in a case to slow down the change while it goes to the stage. Or the case can be kept outside and then brought in for a "appropriate amount of time" prior to show time, so the case can warm the guitar up slowly before being stuck in front of the sun.

Outside of that - direct sunlight/UV radiation discolors finishes in various ways, usually darkening them. Leaving an Arctic White strat on a stand for a few hours in the sun a couple times is a way to make it look vintage cream color. Translucent finishes do not react well to UV; a guitar with a pickguard over a translucent finish is particularly susceptible, because if you ever have to do anything involving removing/moving the pickguard you'll end up revealing a seam of discoloration around the edges.

Also, it ages different materials at differant rates, yielding a guitar that is part "Vintage" looking and part "pawn shop new" looking....

Black cases can really absorb heat; a guitar that has been sitting in a case in direct sunlight probably has risen in temperature greatly, and of course the old admonishment to leave it in the case when changing ambient air temperature is important. I think some cracks in finishes happen this way, people repeatedly bringing really hot guitars out into air cold refridgerated air.

Or maybe not, I'm a Serious Loon... Guitars are not as temperature fragile as they may seem I think, barring extreme humidity situations.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE THIS PART OF THE ENTRY:

In addition to sending us your best tip, please tell us what you would purchase with the $50 certificate, if you were to win.

Thanks!

DETUNE.

Loosen the dang strings when the guitar is on the back seat on that long road trip to PeeWee Katzenjammer's Bar and Grill, Albequerque New Mexico- whatever warping, shrinking, expanding, psichronic oscillation or involuntary Guarnarius-wave transduction is going on, why add insult to injury with the stresses of concert pitch?

(Well one of the e-guitars I designed and built has been around the US on a number of summer tours now and is doing just jim-dandy, so I'm allowed to say, Chip! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif)

-CB

In the unlikely case that I win, a 50$ gift certificate is as obvious as DETUNE- a Danelectro pedal, probably the Tuna Melt

This message has been edited by Bobro on 05-25-2001 at 01:50 PM

I keep them in the cases until it's time to use the guitars.....the

case helps keep out some of the humidity and also helps keep

them temp controlled..never...leave them out in the sun..always try

to have some kind of cover for them when they are sitting idle....

I check intonation and neck and general body condition every time

I change strings which is about every 2 weeks...don't worry about

the trunk of my car because I haul everything in a suburban..with

dual ac....also I keep a room in my house with a baraometer so

i can keep some kind of humidity control for my equipment....

the main thing is to keep them temperature and humidity controlled.

as far as the 50 bucks...don't know ....maybe buy more strings....

laters

Originally posted by Bobro:

In the unlikely case that I win, a 50$ gift certificate is as obvious as DETUNE- a Danelectro pedal, probably the Tuna Melt

or the De-tuna melt. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

~clockwirk~

DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE THIS PART OF THE ENTRY:

Thanks!

Hmm... I've been thinking I want an Ebow, which is something I won't just buy because I don't *have* to have it, although I'd use it quite a bit... But they're more than $50 these days, aren't they? I'd pay the diff I suppose if I had the opportunity.

A TU12 tuner is as well, right? The only tuner that I didn't mind running my signal through, but the last one I had managed to be "lost" at a gig long ago. I haven't tried the Dano tuner pedal; it doesn't have a backlight, does it? Can't believe they didn't do that... Hmm.. I need a sustain pedal for the Nord Lead the Ever Fantastic Dan gave me, the $26 Yamaha piano style and the differance in a GP subscription would be useful....

(trying to think of some other summer-related aspect of guitar care I've not thought of, probably something obvious like "don't let your guitar get hot". Although I do think humidity awareness is the most important thing.

Air conditioning is the big threat, because people don't realize how potent it can be. People will put a guitar in a front seat of a car with the air blowing on it, or in front of an air vent in a house, take it outside - you can feel the moisture on the neck.

Hmmm....

I would guess some of the newer alchohol "satin" acoustic guitar finishes might be more vulnerable to relative humidity situations than thicker finishes. Solid tops are also probably more susceptible, but I would hope anyone with a "nicer" acoustic wouldn't leave it on a stand over an A/C vent and then take it outside on a hot day... Basements are always scary, concrete floors, rooms that are an afterthought and tend to cool off faster than the rest of a house. Uhmm.. Let's see, I already mentioned UV and finishes, right? Uhm... hmmm... how about Mass Coronal Ejections between 11 am and 2 pm? No? Uhm.... Summer... hmm... sunscreen contains palm oils that could potentially cause grain expansion in unfinished necks and rosewood fingerboards, I suppose that's a possibility in the summer... uhm.... the beach can be a relative humidity catastrophe, and you're probably just as likely to have a drunk golfer ask you to play a Jimmy Buffet song on the beach as a Donna D'errico lookalike approach you to play Nuages (hey, imagination is a good thing for a musician.. right?)... uhmm.. summer guitar care, uhm... hmm...

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Jimmy Buffett sez...

"Drink enough Margaritas and whatever shape your guitar is in...you won't care."

Until you sober up...that is.

To that end (keep in mind that this is not a contest qualifying tip...I've already de-qualified myself)...it's nice to have a relatively cheap acoustic on hand for beach use...one where you won't shit a brick if you get sand in the machine heads (this happens no matter how carefully you guard it...just like the proverbial peanut butter sandwich with the "crunch"). Go to Mars and pick up a nice ol' inexpensive Epiphone with a cardboard case. Take it anywhere. Keep your Taylor at home.

But it's too much fun to have a guitar at the beach!

The best advise I have would help for the upcoming summer months, but probably more so for the years ahead. I would suggest that every player on this forum gains a deeper working knowledge of setting up and maintaining their guitar. Many of us can tweak our truss rod to cure a buzz, but do we really know what proper neck relief should be? Most of us could eyeball our intonation, but couldn't we have it spot-on every day? Basic soldering skills are far more valuable than the tech who will gladly fix your strat at 8 p.m. on a Sunday night.

All of the above tips are quite valuable, but I feel that the symptoms are inevitable regardless of your climate and/or season. Obviously we do all we can to maintain the integrity of our instruments, but we will never "cure" climate changes, el nino, etc. Learn to make your guitar behave and preventative maintainence will save your butt more times than you'll care to think about.

I'd spend the credit on new strings. I've probably been playing now longer than I haven't, and fresh strings are still one of the best sources of inspiration I am aware of.

Great tips all, and as usual Tedster takes the reality cake!

The tip concerning learning the correct repair procedures and preventative maintenance was good too.

But Ted hit the nail on the head. Summertime is a disaster waiting to happen.Buy a cheap axe to abuse. However, what most of us really need to learn, or de-learn as the case may be, is the art of concern for a thing. You would'nt put your 5 year old (or wife for that matter)in the trunk of your car... ever. You wouldn't put a child on an a/c duct, or a hot air vent. You would not leave them alone on a stage or in the rain. Think of your axe as your flesh and blood.

The outside of most guitars are finished, the inside is not. When a wooden object is subjected to various environmental stimuli, it reacts. It becomes one with the humidity. Feel the larger molecules of air stretch your pores..... In effect your guitar is like any body you know. It reacts very poorly to rapid change. It is constructed well enough to deal with change, but no wooden instument can handle sudden and abrupt changes.

Ok, here I am on the stand, in the cool shade. Oh golly that humidity is nice! I was a little thirsty!I'm gonna set here and swill a 12 pack of these little, cool, moisture ladden molecules.Hey dude, what's with the sun? Ouch! Oh! that hot sun is causing the moisture to expand! CRAMP!!! Man! I wish I woulda stopped at 3! OH! Man this is worse than green chili!!!

Guitars can't flatulate. Guitarists.... well some of us are so good that the guitar is really our second instrument......

So, in short, either do the simple thang like Tedster suggested, or come to the understanding that your wooden guitar is a living , breathing, sensitive,hypo-allergetic, albino step-child, that your wife will have you put in the trunk over.......

Ted knows, I married a gurl from Dah-Twa's lower east side, who's name did not end in ski!!!

I play 12's. I too love the orchestral nuances of a new set of strings.

Rick

I would have to say for the Strat/Tele type guitars, sand off all or most of the lacquer on the back of the neck. It lets it breath a bit and wont get sticky with sweat, beer, etc. And most of all, keep it in the shade!

How many sets of D'Addario 11's will $50 buy, anyway?

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Rick wrote...

>>>Guitars can't flatulate.

Gee Rick...I've had a couple that sounded like they did. Or maybe that was "amp flatulence" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Tips I have learned over time:

1 Gig bags are okay if it's raining, but not much better than a trash bag for protection. Your guitar will always be out of tune when you take it out and since they give the illusion of protection, things will inevitably get set on your ax. Spend the extra for a hard case.

2 Never let you guitar sleep any place that you yourself wouldn't. In the summer your trunk, car or box truck become ovens. Wood doesn't care for temperature extremes, especially extreme changes in temp so if your gear becomes hot, leave it in it's case for at least 45 minutes before exposing it to your new air conditioned surroundings.

3 Air travel is great, but if you check your guitar remember that the baggage compartment isn't pressurized or heated. I learned this first hand by flying straight up in a helicopter with doors open, it got really cold, really fast! If you fly, now is the time to pull out your gig bag and take your guitar and place it in the overhead compartment (wait till others have placed their bags in and put your ax on top). If you check your electric, even in it's Anvil flight case, your guitar will still suffer from rapid temperature extremes which are much worse in the middle of summer. Electric guitars will experience microphonic pickups and finish checks, acoustic guitars can crack and have braces pop loose -even if you loosen the strings. Tube amps can pop tubes the next time you play so carry your tubes in your carry on.

4 Summer = outdoor gigs. Nothing is harder on gear than outdoor gigs. Direct sunlight, humidity (or lack of) extremes, wind, rain, even dew become factors. If you know you have to play outdoors this summer here's some things you might need:

A Towels in a waterproof bag. If the worst crops up and your gear gets wet, you can at least towel it off before storing it.

B Fans. Most amps and power amps run a bit hot anyway, but put em out in the sun and you're asking for trouble. Fans help, just point them right on your amp rack or amp at a close distance.

C Tarpaulins. These can come in handy in case of rain or damp conditions, even unruly crowds.

D Water. Hey the heat can really dehydrate you and that cold beer only adds to the problem. Feeling weak, lightheaded or sick? Drink some water so you're in good shape to play and guard your gear.

E Extras. Every outdoor gig has weirdities. Bring along bunches of extra extension cords, AC splitters and of course all your regular extras; picks, strings, tubes, drop cords etc.

F Don't use your 1960 Les Paul at an outdoor gig. In other words, lots of people have a favorite instrument that is probably worth a lot of cash or an irreplaceable one off type of ax. For some reason, every time I play an outdoor gig, something gets trashed. Bring your second guitar for these events and thank your lucky stars if something happens. Instruments are much more delicate than amps, etc.

G If you've got a voltage regulating power supply, now is when it will pay for itself. Many outdoor summer gigs use generators for power and they are notorious for brown outs and spikes. Keyboard players, you did bring all your custom sounds on floppys for when a spike erases your keyboard's brain didn't you?

What would I get from music123.com? Don't know, I'd have to peruse their site. Someone mentioned putting it toward an ebow which sounds cool to me too. I need some parts for my sax if they stock em. Prolly just consider it $50.00 off of something cool.

davecharles@musician.net

guitplayer Tip # 2

With the declining shield of ozone in our atmosphere, suntan lotion is a must for outdoor summer days.

One problem, our guitars, especially acoustics with satin finishes, (like my Taylor 414ce http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif) are unhappy if they get some on them. It's not enough to wipe your hands, if you're wearing shorts, and you have some lotion still wet on your leg... well, the stain will be with you for a while to remember your mistake.

So, what I do is bring a small hand towel in my guitar case and before I set the body of my guitar on my leg, I put the towel down first. It's easy to do, keeps the sweat off the finish as well, and I haven't had any bad results yet...

So remember no suntan lotion on your guitar = a happy guitar finish!

guitplayer

If I win I promise to buy a cool new toy like a shiny new harmonica!

------------------

http://www.mp3.com/acousticvoodoo

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Originally posted by rosespappy:

You would'nt put your 5 year old (or wife for that matter)in the trunk of your car... ever.

Rick

Hmmmmnnnn!!

I dunno Rick, there have definately been times when I for one would have happily put both my wife and my kids in the trunk http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .... bless 'em.

Simon

Sorry Simon!

Hehehehe

That should have read, since I married a girl of Sicilian decent, I have often considered putting her in the trunk of my car... However, since I'm pretty sure uncle Vito would break my thumbs and render me bar-cord-less forever, and I wish to play in the praise and worship band,(when I reace the promised land) I have declined the thought. Uncle Vito also loves my Yairi, and for this reason I have an aversion to putting it in my trunk too!!! Hehehehe

There's a song in this thread somewhere! Rick

Originally posted by rosespappy:

Sorry Simon!

Hehehehe

That should have read, since I married a girl of Sicilian decent, I have often considered putting her in the trunk of my car... However, since I'm pretty sure uncle Vito would break my thumbs and render me bar-cord-less forever, and I wish to play in the praise and worship band,(when I reace the promised land) I have declined the thought. Uncle Vito also loves my Yairi, and for this reason I have an aversion to putting it in my trunk too!!! Hehehehe

There's a song in this thread somewhere! Rick

LOL Rick

Yars you did leave out a pretty crucial bit didn't you!! My hairdresser ( and yes and before Khan or someone says it I do still have some of my own hair) is of Sicilian parentage and having met her family there is no way on this planet that you'd ever mess with her ( looks over shoulder to see if spousage is lurking) even though she is absolutely ruddy georgeous..... ahem ahem! As for being bar chordless you old fraud not a prayer! Us chaps have got to know when to be firm ya know.... hence I lock my wife and kids in the trunk at any given opportunity.... C'mon Rick you just gotta be brave!! yeah like sure thing Simon....

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Archived