Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

-

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been my experience that stock Ibanez pickups don't sound too good. If your pickup was broken there would probably be a dramatic decrease in output volume.

I would suggest looking into replacement pickups.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

It's really hard to give you an accurate diagnosis without actually seeing the guitar. Was this a brand new guitar or something you purchased used? Did you buy it from a dealer or from a private seller? If it's new or used and came from a dealer, then I'd suggest bringing it in to have it checked out. If not, then take it to a reliable tech to have it checked out. Sometimes a problem like this can even be related to how close the pickups are set to the strings. They may be too close. Or, maybe it's the guitar's setup and the high strings are too close to the fingerboard. Take it in to a tech and have it checked out. It can probably be evaluated while you are there, at least to determine the cause. Depending on what's wrong - assuming there's something wrong - the tech should be able to tell you exactly what this problem is and how long it will take to repair. If it's a new instrument you just purchased, this should be covered be the dealer or under warranty from the manufacturer.

Another possibility that is easy to check is that the pickups may be too high. Strat types of guitars suffer from excess magnetic pull on the strings if the pickups are set too close. Try lowering the middle pick and see if the problem goes away... It's unlikely that you'd only hear the problem w/ the treble pickup, but it's easy enough to find out. You could also have funky strings.
gizmo

<

i don't know, are you getting any dates? if, not remember, "hey, baby what's your sign?" is pretty played out.... try "i made a fortune on the dot.com stock crash and i don't know how to spend it."

-d. gauss

Originally posted by popmusic:

normal or if it's the case with stock Ibanez pickups. However, it sounds fine to me when both pickups are combined.

Sounds as it should. There is a slight distortion at the frequency you mention; the bridge pickup will always be brighter, and the way those pickups are designed they probably have a peak there that is pretty drastic and narrow. It's exaggerating the attack portion of the sound, which is yielding the distortion without being too noticiable on the main "body" of the sound.

When you're combining pickups you're probably *then* getting a comb filtering effect going which reduces, or shifts the resonant frequency of the pickup.

If you lower the bridge pickup more the distortion will go, at the expense of lower overall volume.

However, for a "guitar sound" slight distortion on a clean sound is par for the course. Few people have a *truly* perfectly clean sound - it's boring and clinical. The low-fi character of a guitar amp into a 12" speaker reduces the effect as well.

Regardless -you theoretically could get a compressor set to a fast attack time and fast release that would stop that effect, but then you're distorting the signal in another way. I don't know what you recorded that through; even if you set the gain by the meters on a preamp so that it *looks* like it's not peaking the meter, really quickly instantaneous high frequency peaks can distort. I'd say re-record it with the preamp pulled down a notch and see if the distortion at 5k goes away. If not you could roll the tone knob down, or lower the pickup as I said previously.

It's supposed to be brighter, anyhow. Through a Fender amp turned up that peak turns from "weird distortion" into "bite". That sound isn't something I wouldn't expect, although I'm guessing you'd need a preamp with a lot more headroom than I'm hearing to yield a perfectly clean sound - which wouldn't be fun to listen to I would guess.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived