Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Siblings in a band.........

strat0124

I had nothing but positive experiences when I was in a band with my brother, but have been in several bands with sibs who just don't get along, or tolerate each other long enough to play. Our band is made up of four guys, two of which are brothers. They constantly fight about our schedule, venues, setlist, musical direction, etc. The drummer and I try to stay out of it for the most part, but it gets increasingly difficult to allow trouble in paradise, so to speak. Now the funny thing is, after the squabbles have died out, and the uncomfortable period of kiss and make up, we almost always have huge spurts of musical connectivity, sparks are flying and the music has serious balls and energy from hell. Though I don't particularly like the emotional rollercoaster, the end product is awesome. Before I joined this band, it was relayed to me that these two have been to fistacuffs rolling around in the backyard to settle a dispute. I wish it were easier, but I'm from the old school.....dance with the one that brought ya. And we're dancin our asses off.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ask Chris and Rich Robinson from the Black Crowes. I know that Jimmie Vaughan used to threaten to beat up Stevie Ray if he didn't lay off playing his guitar. Johnny and Edgar Winter were probably always too frail and blind to fight much....

i have been producing a band called Understate recently which has a couple of brothers in it .... to be honest it's a bloody nightmare, they bitch at each other thru every session, to the point where if I can I try and only have one of them in the studio at a time!!!

Nuff Said

Simon

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

I played in bands with my "little brother" for many years. He's a drummer. We have always been very close and get along pretty well, usually. There have been some tense moments of course but all in all it has been a great time. We toured Japan and Europe in 1990 in Ryuichi Sakamoto's Neo Geo Ensemble and this was certainly the high point of our experiences together. I live in Japan now and he in New York so we don't play together any more. I miss it. He's the best drummer I ever worked with!

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Archived