Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about Fender Texas Special PU's

jzbluze

Right now, in my strat, I have a dimarzio virtual vintage heavy blues pu in the neck, a virtual vintage solo in the bridge, and a stock fender pu in the middle. I'm thinking of putting a Fender Texas Special in the neck, and mocing the virtual vintage heavy blues over to the middle. My guitar is pretty thoroughly shielded, so hum is not as much of a concern as it used to be. Good idea?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like my pick ups to match up ohm-wise so when I play with two pick ups on at the same time they sound good togother. This is especially important for the middle postion on a Tele. If you play out-of-phase on the Strat, I would imagine it would still be true.

I have a 73 Strat that was much improved by a set of John Suhr wound V60's. Purple Haze in my eyes.

well bein a strat guy thru&thru for a lonnnngg time and after so much 'sperimentin i preach the gospel of stock pickups-to me and many others nothing comes close in the custom market that does the job so exsquisitely as original pu s. they just plain sound good to these ears. all this boutique stuff and "we'll make your guitar sound like this" whatever that is in your mind just give me the stuff off the rack and i'm good to go! your mileage may vary.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Ahhhh fender pick ups...from the factory..head toward the custom shop...if you are looking for outside sources ..stay with the proven pros...Seymore Duncan and Joe Bardens...some love Fralins...my dos centavos

I bought the hype of Texas Specials.....and after fooling myself for a few weeks that they sounded good I decided to fess up and say....I don't really like them. Just not really what I thought they would be....really shrill to me.......not the Texas tone I am used to hearing. Even my powerhouse strat sounds WAY better. I'm a P90 junkie, so it's difficult to find a tone I like 100% in a strat configuration.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

The Texas Specials never did it for me either but I do use the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage models that you're using. You just had them in the wrong place. Keep the Solo model in the bridge, keep the Heavy Blues in the middle, and put something like the Blues, or a '54 in the neck. Silent but deadly. I really like the Blues in the neck position. That set up is in all my Strats. It's not a true vintage sound but then again I'm not trying to sound like Buddy Holly either. It's it's own thing. Fat and throaty.

Welcome to pickup hell and good luck.

------------------

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/144/oscar_jordan.html

Bein' from Texas myself I ain't NEVER seen anybody playin' any of those pickups. YUK. If we don't like the sound of the guitar, we change the guitar.

Archived