Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Examples of tone that you love

strat0124

A couple of my all time fave guitar tones:

1. Jimmy Page on "Since I been Loving you"

2. Keith Richards on the "Sticky Fingers" album

3. Hendrix on "Redhouse"

4. Reverend Horton Heat on "Wigglestick"

5. Bonnie Raitt on "Lovers Will"

6. Wes Montgomery on anything

7. BB King on anything

8. Doyle Bramhall...just about anything

9. George Harrison on the "All things must pass" album

10.Eric Clapton on "Little Wing" and "while my guitar gently weeps"

These are just a few......I could go on and on here. What's some of yours?

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fill-in licks in Prince's "Cream".

EVH in Eruption

The rythm guitar in Tracy Chapman "Give me a reason" along with the fill-ins

Pat Metheny in the Pat Metheny Group album

Jeff Buckley in "Hallelujiah"

Keith Richard's abrasive tone in the lead break of "Sympathy for the devil"

Michael Hedges "Bundaries"

Tuck Andress in general

SRV in "Little Wing"

there's so much...

Emile

Steve Morse - Huron River Blues from The Introduction

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Not Slight Return) Electric Lady Land

Luther Allison - Everything on that CD! From Live in Chicago

Little Jimmy King - Revelation #9 From Something Inside Of Me

Robben Ford - You Cut Me To The Bone

------------------

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/144/oscar_jordan.html

Here's a couple for ya

Gary Moore... Still in Love with you

Gary Moore ... Parisienne Walkways

Michael Schenker/UFO... Lights Out

Pete Townsend... Anything

The Guitarist outta Winger... Headed for a heartbreak

Jimmy Page..... Anything

Steve Morse.... Anything

Larry Carlton..... I'm Home

Peter Green.... Anything

Simon

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Eric Johnson---anything

SRV---Riviera Paradise

Gilmour---anything

Lifeson---Limelight(solo),Jacob's Ladder(solo)

Steve Hackett---Firth of Fifth(solo)

Most any Steely Dan(various guitarists)

Neil Young............N O T ! ! !hahahaha

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Actually Neil's intro to Woodstock, intro to Southern Man, are pretty damn good. Haven't heard anyone play those songs and actually nail it. I don't care for his freaky whammy bar solos, but he is an excellent guitar player in that genre. Pearl Jam didn't call him the father of grunge for nothin.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Ry Cooder on John Hiatt's Bring the Family, esp. on "Memphis in the Meantime"

Eric Clapton -- many examples, but esp. from Blind Faith -- "Had to Cry Today," "Do What You Like" and from George Harrison's All Things Must Pass -- "I'll Have You Anytime" and from The London Howling Wolf Sessions -- "The Rocker" and "I Ain't Superstitious," almost any Cream or Derek and the Dominoes song...

Jeff Beck -- again, many great examples. I'll single out all of Guitar Shop and "Earthquake" from the new one, You Had It Coming

Allan Holdsworth -- always, but esp. "Fred" from Believe It! by the New Tony Williams Lifetime

Lowell George on "Two Trains" from Little Feat's Dixie Chicken

Wes Montgomery and Pat Martino have the nicest jazz tone...

This message has been edited by AlChuck on 05-18-2001 at 07:30 PM

Originally posted by strat0124:

Pearl Jam didn't call him the father of grunge for nothin.

Is that "the king of grunge" for nothin' or "the king of grunge for nothin'" ?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Chris Cornell, Jeff Buckley, kd lang, Liz Frasier, Diane Krall, uhm, Coltrane on "Naima", Copeland's snare on "Driven to Tears", tom sound on "Spirits in the Material World", uhm...

Let's see... Marilyn Monroe when she sang "Happy Birthday" to Kennedy was pretty great.. Sean Connery had a cool tone when he said "we sail into history!", hmm... ahh, the McClaren MP4-F1 with the new Ilmor engine that revs to 20,000 rpm, just heard that last week on Speedvision, incredible... hmm... haven't heard a space shuttle launch, but that probably has a good tone... uhmmm, Art Tatum on

Oh wait, you mean guitar tones... oh:

In not so order:

David Gilmour: Intro to "Echoes"

David Gilmour: "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

Jimi Hendrix: "Bold as Love"; "Voodoo Chile (Slight return)"

Allan Holdsworth: "Countdown"

Jeff Beck: "Cause We've Ended As Lovers"; "What God Wants pt II"

Brian May: "You're My Best Friend", "Death on Two Legs", "Brighton Rock" (Live Killers), "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon", uhmm I'd better stop here, huh?

Eric Johnson: "No One Can Keep Me From You"

Al DiMeola - "Kiss My Axe" (just *that* cd)

Steve Vai - "Erotic Nightmares"

Bill Frisell - Anything from "Music for the Films of Buster Keaton"

Mike Campbell - "Last Dance with Mary Jane"

Wes Montgomery - "Movin Wes"

That will suffice for now.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

i know this isnt what you mean but for me a tone that i love and cant reproduce unless it naturally happens again(which it does again and again and again...) is when i break the low e on my which is a~60~ .it is a thing of beauty,destruction,tension&release,positivity/negativity, the whole shootin match-after it hits those tubes and then the jbl 15"...oh my!!!
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Mick Jones - Hot Blooded

Eddie Van Halen - anything from Van Halen I, II, & Fair Warning

Scott Henderson - anything

Stevie Ray Vaughn - anything

Jimi Hendrix - anything live

Eric Johnson, Pat Methany, Randy Rhoads, George Lynch, Jeff Beck, etc...

Too many to list.......

I can't believe how many great examples I've seen on this page. Wow. I say hoorah to EVERYONE here. My list would include just about every listing thus far. But here's one I'd like to get comment on.

Steve Stevens siding for Billy Idol - Rebel Yell especially the clean intro/outro and the Lexicon PCM "machine gun" sound at the end of the solo.

But most of all...

Flesh For Fantasy. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Very complimentary playing to the melody. Fantastic timbres. Same goes for the rest of the album, I'm just not fond of most of the other songs.

Unfortunately, I had the displeasure of seeing Idol on Jay Leno tonight. He was fine, but the idea of White Wedding as a heavy acoustic number just does NOT cut it. Steve's playing could not fill the void between bass and, (no I'm not kidding) conga and djembe for percussion. It was pretty comical, Billy trying to cop the old attitude with THAT for a music bed.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Chris Stein's solo on Blondie's Rapture has all ways been one of my favorite for its tone. I usually go for straight to amp sounds, but the effects on that sound really cool to me. Lee Renaldo from Sonic Youth has a really cool tone in general and the guitar sounds Kevin Shields got in My Bloody Valentine were unbeleivable.

Hey Chip, listening to a couple of your tunes while I'm posting this. Not my usual, but pretty good. My wife even asked what I was listening to in a good way.

I saw Ben Harper live in KC, Mo. and his tone was unbelievable! I don't know his exact setup, but he had that lap steel guitar (i can't remember what kind it is) producing some of the fattest distortion tones I've ever heard. You can get an idea of it by listening to Faded off of his "Will to Live" album. But even that doesn't do him justice.

It felt like your internal organs were being rearranged while he was playing! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

~clockwirk~

Can't believe I forgot to mention Steve Stevens. If you liked his tone with Billy Idol, you oughta check out the first Vince Neil solo album. Steve rips thru that whole record with a sizzling, old school, hard rock tone. Awesome stuff!!!

This message has been edited by art on 05-19-2001 at 10:24 PM

Originally posted by trickfall@yahoo.com:

Hey Chip, listening to a couple of your tunes while I'm posting this. Not my usual, but pretty good. My wife even asked what I was listening to in a good way.

Cool, thanks... Funny, I was about to take all of them down tomorrow (wait, it's 6 am, I guess I meant "today"); I hate the way they're recorded and performed, and I don't want people to get the impression that's all I'm about/do. I just recently got some more email about them, so I guess I'll leave them up for awhile - thanks, makes it worth doing.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

1.Tool, Anything period. With albums like Opiate, Aeneima, and Lateralus these guys could make Gilbert frickn' Godfrey rock!!

2.Seven Mary Three, Cumbersome, Luv that raw sound

3.Incubus, Stellar, Glass with that famous strat twang.

4.Jimmy Hendrix, Man I was raised to respect my elders.

The percussive "clank" of the super-clean blues guitar tone heard on certain early Freddie King and Johnny "Guitar" Watson recordings. You can literally hear the steel fingerpicks...

The crisp reverbed rhythm strums - Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster with the built-in bridge mute, I presume - on early Ventures and Beach Boys recordings.

The ultra-fat honking midrange of Charlie Christian's guitar tone with the Benny Goodman Quintet.

And a thousand more.

Well, Keef on the Sympathy for the Devil solo has gotta be my all time fave (right on, Emile!), and probably the reason for me wanting to play electric guitar. 'Course most anything of his from that period has got tone for days - Honky Tonk Women, Let It Bleed, Midnight Rambler, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Soul Survivor, the entire "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" live album which made me want to get an Ampeg (Mick Taylor's work on that record is stunning in tone, too).... etc. Brian Jones' slide solo on "No Expectations"... sublime.

What else?

Jeff Beck - the Yardbirds' "Over Under Sideways Down"

John Lennon - "I Found Out", and really lots of his stuff

George Harrison - "Taxman" et al

David Gilmour - just about anything

Richard Thompson's whack out-of-phase Strat on stuff like "When I Get To the Border"

Pete Townshend - "I Can See For Miles"... well pretty much everything about that tune is perfecto... Pete kills on just about everything really though

Mike Campbell - just about anything

John Fogerty - "Born On the Bayou"

Well I could go on but guess I'll stop there!

--Lee

My faves:

Johnny Winter- The ultimate slide tone, the ultimate distorted blues tone

Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks & Duane Allman- That clean slide tone

Luther Allison- Dirty Les Paul blues tone

Albert Collins & his disciple Jonny Lang- The "cold" sound

Rory Gallagher- The most underrated, unappreciated strat-player ever

Dave Hole- Killer slide tone

Jimi & Stevie- duh.

Roy Buchanan-Killer tele tone

Bernard Allison- Different from his dad's tone, but great nevertheless

Just a few that have yet to be mentioned:

-David Lindley's lap steel on Jackson Browne's "Running On Empty" album

-Chris Squire's bass sound in Yes (plus Trevor Rabin's collection of sounds)

-John Leventhal's seemingly endless palette of guitar tones on his production projects (Marc Cohn, Shawn Colvin, Bruce Hornsby, etc.)

Mark Knopfler's Strat tones on Dire Straits' "Love Over Gold" album

------------------

John Bartus

Radio Active Productions

We Make Great Radio Happen - Guaranteed.

1-888-93-RADIO

www.radioactivedigital.com

John Bartus

Music From The Fabulous Florida Keys

www.johnbartus.com

www.cdbaby.com/bartus

www.radioactivedigital.com

Well...I've been silent on this, 'cause there are just so-oo many...but I'll say:

B.B...damn near anything. And...for those of you "tone comes from the hands" disciples...I once read an interview where Mr. King was asked what kind of amp he would like...and he said, "Oh, I dunno, just plug me into an amp". How about that!?!?! Someone so assured of his tone that no matter what he plugs into, he sounds like B.B. King...

One of my toppers...the intro to "Ain't My Cross to Bear"...I SHOULD know...was it Duane or Dickey that played that? I've always thought it was Duane, but I could be wrong. That's always tore me up!

The George Harrison "Revolver" era stuff. Actually, pretty much any Harrison stuff. Always have loved his slide tones.

Great tones on rhythm are a must...some of Elvis Costello's early stuff, as well as any of that sort of new-wavish power pop crunch. Bruce Lash (indie guy) had a song on Craig's "Is your music any good" thread, about the third page. THAT sound.

The bell-like chording on the title cut from Zappa's "Zoot Allures".

Any big ol' Gretsch run through a reverby Fender.

And, for all-around crowd-pleasing head banging...on rhythm and lead...the Young brothers.

And many, many more...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived