Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

And so I got a guitar...

Rod S

So I finally fessed up and bought myself a guitar. Being primarily a keyboard player I had been looking into ways to spice up my music, and I've always wanted to learn guitar, but was always focusing on my keyboard technique and kept pushing off this decision.

So I went for it. Now get ready for some stupid questions in next few weeks as I dive into this. I'm having a blast. I want to practice a little before I get into classes, but I want to hopefully start that in a month or so. My brother plays guitar, so I have a good idea on chord positions and technique, so I've just been practicing that.

Still undecided what to do about my amp situation. If anyone remembers my earlier posting (still under my old nickname, rsaboiasilva@hotmail.com), I'm really looking into being able to record once I can play some basic chords... so I'm really looking for a DI box. I checked out the POD, I really dug it but I feel guilty since it's a bit overkill for my level of experience and my needs. Other than some annoying zippering when you turned the knobs while playing, it was perfect for me.

So for the time being I'm running the guitar thru one of my keyboards, which has an input which allows me to process the guitar thru the effects. Sound kind of sucks, but I'm really hesitant to buy an amp. I'll eventually have to mic it anyways, so the pod is still my best choice. Playing keyboards I'm used to practicing with headphones, so I dig the thought of being able to chill out and practice with the pod thru headphones and tune the world out.

Sorry for the rant... but I'll need your guys (and gals) help for the next few weeks...and months. Hopefully I can return the favor if any of you decide to pick up keyboards (like stratman)

Rod

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Rod, Glad to hear ya finally "bellied up to the bar" and got yourself a guitfiddle http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif As far as the POD thing goes, I say if ya like it GET ONE, run out right now and BUY one. Whether or not it's overkill for you right now is not relevant. The fact is that if you like the way it sounds more than you do running through your keyboard you will practice and enjoy playing more. Which leads to more practice, which leads to playing better etc..... And you will have a GREAT direct recording device, which never hurts to have.

Just like with keyboards Rod, if the sound you are getting now doesn't turn you on than you need to get whatever it takes to get the sound that DOES turn you on and will keep you interested and practicing harder.

My .02 anyways.

Phil

So I finally fessed up and got myself a girl. Being primarily a hermit, I had been looking into ways to spice up my love life, and I've always wanted a girl, but was always focusing on my solo technique and kept pushing off this decision.

So I went for it. Now get ready for some stupid questions in the next few weeks as I dive into this headfirst, and I haven't a clue. I want to practice a little by myself before I get into the real deal, but I want to hopefully start that in a month or so. My brother has a girlfriend, so I have a good idea on positions and technique, so I've just been practicing by watching them. Still undecided what to do about my job situation though,,,,,

-d. gauss

Damn! What to follow that up with?!?

Seriously, check out other boxes too. Behringer has a box that should hit the streets any time now, and Korg, Digitech, etc. have inexpensive pedal style multieffects with amp modelling onboard (and a lot cheaper than the Line6). Maybe not as cool as the POD, but worth a listen before you plunk your $$$ down on something you feel is overkill. But hey, if you have the bucks, go have fun with the POD.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

First let me say I'm a POD owner, and I think that's the "best" amp-less choice for decent sounds, and "tweekability". Especially with the MIDI software librarian tool, SoundDiver. There are thousands of patches out there... some authored by the artists themselves.

But if the price of the POD is a factor, I'd suggest the Sansamp stuff. It's well regarded, you can probably find a "classic" used if you look around, it's modestly priced, and you'll probably keep it around when you finally get a POD or whatever... even new they're 1/2 the price of a POD.

Another modest cost, but useful low-volume tool is the little crate acoustic amp. It sounds pretty good for acoustic, but it sounds cool with a POD as well since it has a more PA-like tone than a regular guitar amp. Since you're a keyboard player, you may already have a keyboard amp. If so, the POD will sound great through that as well. If you do get one, and have questions about it... post them here and I'll share my "tips".

Good luck on your guitar playing... and remember you have to be willing to be "bad" to be "good"... except Chip... but we can't all be a prodigy. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

So I finally fessed up and got myself a sheep. Being primarily a hermit, I had been looking into ways to spice up my love life, and I've always wanted a sheep, but was always focusing on my solo technique and kept pushing off this decision.

So I went for it. Now get ready for some stupid questions in the next few weeks as I dive into this headfirst, and I haven't a clue. I want to practice a little by myself before I get into the real deal, but I want to hopefully start that in a month or so. My brother has a sheep, so I have a good idea on positions and technique, so I've just been practicing by watching them. Still undecided what to do about my job situation though,,,,,

The POD is a good choice and if you were to get an amp for the same or less price it would be underkill. At least with the POD you'll have access to great sounds and won't feel the need to upgrade it in 6 month when you realise that that 200$ Peavey just doesn't cut it. Also your synth patches will benefit from the POD especially those B3 sounds. If you want to jam with someone just throw it in a bag and you go. You'll have cool sounds thru anyone's home mixer or even keyboard amp. There are other options but you'll never go wrong with that one.

Emile

Originally posted by Rod CA:

Still undecided what to do about my amp situation.

A lot of folks might sneer at you (they did me) but my favorite amps, both for performing & recording, have turned out to be an old (60s/70s era) Fender Bassman & a Pignose (this is a really surprising little beast!)...although recently I got a $35. Fender mini-Twin that's great for taking to the park & annoying the drum circle guys (I play against their beat &, when they move away---mostly they're not "real" musos & can't do anything but count to 4, which they do for hours at a time!---I can follow them since it's small enough to hook on my belt & walk around with).

I also used to use a really clean "hi-fi" amp when I last (c.1980)played in a funk band & used a lotta pedals & an early Yamaha "synth".

As a veteran keyboardist, you might not (yet) have the mind/earset of most guitarists have toward sound (comparatively rough, that is).

Seriously, check the Pig, you'll sound like Zappa in no time!

------------------

Quote "recently I got a $35. Fender mini-Twin that's great for taking to the park & annoying the drum circle guys"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ROTFLMAO http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I LOVE that idea, I'm gonna have to give that a try sometime!!!.

Archived