Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've got a a hair brained idea....What do you think?

aframe9999

Here's what I'm thinking... There are so few places here in indy that allows a musician to play (jam), meet new players, etc on a consistent basis. Sure, there are acoustic open mic nights here and there and an occasional blues jam. But nothing to really sink your teeth into.

What if I were to open a place that specialized in open stage jams. It could be in a strip mall, or in a warehouse or old house. It doesn't have to be a bar, even though it could be. Maybe BYOB. Maybe just vending machines. Whatever. But musicians could come in and pay a fee to play. Maybe 10 bucks. It would be kind of like pick-up hockey or basketball. Pay your money and see what develops.

All the PA, lights, drum kit etc would be supplied. Maybe you have different genres each night, Wed blues, Thurs Rock, Fri Jazz etc. Whatever...

If this thing just made enough money just to perpetuate itself, that would be the goal.

1. What do you think of this idea.

2. If it were in your town would you support it?

3. What is the most money you would pay to participate? 5, 10, 20?

4. How many people do you think would come through in a night.

5. What are some of the problems you would see about managing the process? one thing I can think of is if everybody pays the same amount to play, how do you make sure everybody gets to play the same amount of time? etc. etc.

I welcome your thoughts......

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would this be different from the various open mic situations that already exist (& with which you sound familiar) ?

One drawback occurs to me--- most places that offer open mic situations can do so because they make their main money other nights with dependable crowd attractions. Do you think the situation you describe could attract enough people, since by definition the shows would be relatively non-professional (else they'd already be working in the regular club market)?

d said...

>>>Do you think the situation you describe could attract enough people, since by definition the shows would be relatively non-professional (else they'd already be working in the regular club market)?

A couple of exceptions to the "non-professional" rule...first, if you've ever moved around...open jams are a life saver. You could be the hottest guitar player or whatever in one town...move to another and you ain't itshay. How do you establish yourself? The miracle of the open jam. Another exception would be to scope out the up and coming talent, local young folks who are just getting to the club stage. Meeting other people who've just moved into town. And...some place away from the "PLAY COCAINE" mindset, where music exists for music's sake. Refreshing once in awhile.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Open mics usually consist of performances by individuals or groups of individuals that have material prepared to play in front of a crowd. Ususally solo acoustic.

I'm refering to having a full band vibe. Drummers, bass players, keys, horns, whatever playing unrehearsed jams together. You could have 4 guitar players, 2 keys, and a few horns along with a drummer and bass player, all playing at the same time taking turns soloing and having fun.

Bars have a lot of overhead. employees, inventory etc. This thing I'm talking about would be bare bones, supported by the musicians. If anyone wnated to come and listen, that's ok, but the audience wouldn't be the main source of revenue.

And true, many musicians that are in bands might be working, but maybe they would have nights off to participate. I'm in a band and work fairly frequently. But some of the best musical experiences I've had is playing impromptu jams with people I had just met.

My opinion is that there isn't enough outlets for that available to musicians.

I mean, you can go to the 'Y' or ice rink and pay 7 dollars and play basketball or hockey with people you don't know for a few hours. Not a league, no refs. Just for fun. Why couldn't that happen for musicians????

As a side note, there was a local music store here in indy that did that very thing. Every Sunday night they would host an open jam. And the cool thing was that you could use anything in the store you wanted. just bring it up and plug it in. It eventually went away. It just got too big to manage because there was so much participation. But it was way cool while it lasted.

Sorry to say it, but I don't think this idea would ever get off the ground.

The place would have to be some sort of business (bar, coffehouse, etc) in order to make enough money to stay open. Remember, you would need money for zoning permits, licenses, and liability insurance. Also, you need some sort of service to attract any audience. I doubt anyone would come in just to hear a bunch of musicians jam. So... as soon as you turn it into some sort of attraction for customers, it's just like any other bar's open-mic jam.

As far as getting people to pay a fee to play... why would I want to give you $10 when everyone else's open-mic is free?

Let's say (for the sake of argument) that you did find a way to keep the place open without making it a real business. It's just a place where musicians can get together and jam. There won't be any audience (other than musicians waiting to play). Why would I want to pay to be part of that? I could just have a big open jam at my rehearsal studio.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Originally posted by aframe9999:

Open mics usually consist of performances by individuals or groups of individuals that have material prepared to play in front of a crowd. Ususally solo acoustic.

That's very different than the open-mics in my area. In fact, most of the places around here don't allow "prepared" groups. Usually, what you find around here is exactly like what you want to do. You show up with your guitar, hook up with a drummer, bass player, another guitarist, etc., and do about 20 minutes worth of improv.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Kinda kills the "open mic" theme doesn't it? I rarely if ever go to these unless a bud invites me to go along, but when I do I have to admit it's tedious to sit through. Especially acoustic open mics. Blues jams are a bit different but not alot. Open mic's to me are just a step up from Kareoke (spelling?).....which can be fun, just not my cup of tea. To each his own. I do think "open mic" nights are great for someone who's trying to test out a new song, or re-learn his or her performance skills, or just give that non performer an opportunity to play live in a club. It has it's place, and I'm sure there are better ones elsewhere than we sport here in Va Beach.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I say go fer it.

I would agree that you'll need a "reason to be here" for the non-musician.A good friend of mine runs a once a month 2 main act,1 hour open mike acoustic only coffee house. Got himself a grant to pay for his share of the building. Suggests a $5.00 donation at the door. He pays out $250.00-$300.00 to each of the main acts out of the donations, and pockets $200.00 or so from coffee and treat sales. No liquer lic. No Vender permit. etc.

A variation on this theme could land you a grant from an arts conservatory etc.

Additionally, you'll be in contact with lots of otherwise undiscovered talent. Good idea!

Rick

my fav is to take a guitar & my mini twin (pocket size & battery op), go to the park & annoy the "drum circles". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Maybe you would be better off trying to find a club that would be willing to let you try to get an open jam going. "Pay to Play" is not something I would ever do. If you could find a drummer and a bass player that would be willing to do it, tell the club owner that you would be willing to "host"(bring drums and amps) at no charge to him for a few weeks. If it can draw in musicians and a crowd then you are in a position to negotiate a fair fee for hosting it. If it doesn't work nobody takes a big loss.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by d:

my fav is to take a guitar & my mini twin (pocket size & battery op), go to the park & annoy the "drum circles". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

A-HA!! You do have a sense of humor. I just hope the drum circles do too!

As for pay to play jams. Not.. on.. your.. life. How many guys who are making money with their playing would be willing to do this? How many guys who don't have the money to do this? As stated by others, I can host an open jam here anytime I choose, free of charge, but you may have to chip in when we order pizza.

What about style? 4, even 5 hours a night would be difficult to divvy up between the drummer, the 3 bassists, and the 800 guitarists who all play different styles.

As for open mics, I'd love to jump in to one again. (Been mixing, not playing for the past 5-8 years.) Problem is in Nashville there doesn't seem to be any open mics. They're all songwriter's nights. If you don't write your own material, you're not welcome. Very different from the ones I played in Chicago 10 years ago.

Good luck. The idea sounds like fun. Self sustaining? Well, good luck!

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived