Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For the sake of the Name

BK_dup2

Have any of you ever bought or not bought an instrument just because of the manufacuters name or musical climate.

The early ninties saw the death of the pointy headstock. I know many players who traded in their Jacksons for Jagstangs.

I will freely admit that I sold all of my ESP's and just played my Fenders. In hindsight playing my Fenders full time was a good move but not for the reason I switched. They have really made me a better player.

What do you all think?

BK

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey BK

NO NO Never!! I buy instruments because I love the way they feel and the tone!! I can honestly say I have never been motivated by brand, a guitar is just way too personal a thing to buy for any reason other than it suits YOU!! It has to feel right for me from the start ya know like I've owned it for years... I think Tedster put it rather well when he said something to do with comfortable armchairs? Well I agree that's how it has to be at the end of the day brand don't mean jack! I'll give you a current example I have for years been looking for a Telecaster but I have never found one that felt right to me....( Too many years playing Les Pauls I guess.. HaHa Irony alert http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif) But the other day I walked into my guitar techs place an he had a hand built tele in made by a little know company called Woodworm. It SMOKES an I loved it.. tone was fab, feel was fab, I rang up the Company and ordered one straight away. It arrives in 10 weeks and I cannot wait.

Later

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

A tele Simon? what next coffee for dinner? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

As far as the whole guitar trip goes - I have actually showed up with my Fiesta Red Strat and had a band leader tell me to change guitars because he didnt like the way it looked.

I think the statement was "I looks too surfer like". He was a fucking brain surgeon.

I think these kinds of issues stem from not having an identity with yourself or instrument. and - youth and inexperience.

BK

>>>>I think the statement was "I looks too surfer like". He was a fucking brain surgeon

Then why did he do a lobotomy on himself?

Shoulda started cranking out "Pipeline". Brain-dead is more like it.

Now, mind you, I wouldn't sit in with a Goth-Warlock with a polka band. Ummm, well actually I probably would. But that's me.

What are those guitars that look like bat or dragon wings? They're already looking pretty funny to me, but, hey.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Tedster....... You need to skip Mo, fer a few days. I think you nedd a polka fix! The Ukrainian Fest in Warren'll fix ya right up!

I have several instruments that have no label. I could never "own" one because of it's stylings or market share. It's sorta like the thing has to play me, before I will play it.... Ya know?

Rick

I think people buy guitars for the name all the time. Even within our little arguments about which guitar feels the best or plays the best for us, we still narrow down the discussions to Les Pauls, Strats, and Teles. Why are these the most popular guitars? Are they really the "perfect feel" for so many different guitar players? Granted, you're going for a certain sound, but you can get pretty darn close with cheaper gear that might even feel better to you.

I think we all see that Page played a Les Pauls through a stack of Marshalls, so our ideal setup is a Les Paul through a Marshall. The Beatles played Rickenbockers through Vox amps, so we all have to get Ricks and Vox's. I might not even need or want the sound of a Paul cranked through a Marshall. I might think that Pauls are too beefy and heavy. But by gum, if I have the means, I'm definitely picking one up!!

Looking at the thread about the best guitar for funk on a budget, I saw that everyone suggested the strat right away for this guy. My first thought was to recommend a squire strat. He could probably get a much better guitar for just a little more money (carvin bolt or guitar kit), but we automatically sell the strat because that's what all the funk guys play. Even though most import strats I've played have something wrong with them (fretting out) and you'll want to replace the pickups.

I'd like to say that I'm enough of an individual to ignore the crowd and go with what feels good to me. But I know that I am always going to be biased toward the gear that has been recognized by a lot of players.

~clockwirk~

Originally posted by clockwirk:

I think people buy guitars for the name all the time.

I'll tell you what's crappy, that is Epiphone pushing their models as Gibson-caliber instruments (not that "Gibson caliber" is anything like what it used to be....).

I've had a number of students of all ages come in with an Epi Les Paul copy, refering to it as a "Les Paul": Epiphone doesn't exactly try to discourage this and it would seem more disreputable music stores don't either.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: ]www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I've been playing the same kinds of guitars since day one. I never went "jackson/charvel"......no pointies for me. Yeah I was out of style during the dark ages, but I got cool again later. Never went Ovation either.....
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

I'll tell you what's crappy, that is Epiphone pushing their models as Gibson-caliber instruments (not that "Gibson caliber" is anything like what it used to be....).

I've had a number of students of all ages come in with an Epi Les Paul copy, refering to it as a "Les Paul": Epiphone doesn't exactly try to discourage this and it would seem more disreputable music stores don't either.

Now that is the TRUTH!! Crappy is the word exactly!! Epiphone has no business being allied to Gibson in that way even though Gibson is not the same build quality as it used to be. I had a guitarist in the studio last week with an epiphone and outta idle curiosity i asked if i could play it a while.... suffice it to say it sucked in just about every department... lightweight, no sustain, horrible fingerboard, crap tones just not my cuppa tea at all!! If I were Gibson I would try to halt this one as fast and as far as possible.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Archived