Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live mixer shootout...

Tedster

I posted this on Craig's forum too, but thought I might get a couple people who don't go there too often here...

Anyone have any references to where I might find a club 16 to 24 ch. two buss mixer shootout?

Mackie? Alesis? Carvin? Yamaha? Peavey? etc...you know the drill...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ted, on the various audio forums most of the heavy hitters generally think that the Mackie pre's are the best in a budget board. Most of the other features are probably similar, but the pre's are my number one priority. I would stay away from Peavey boards.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I have a little Mackie 1402 VLZ that we've been using, but, as our gig thang has expanded from a little acoustic setup to require a few more channels...y'know...

I lo-oove my Mackie.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Except for Peavey, all those brands are good, but the Carvin shines brightest. The pre's are super, the quality top-notch, and the price is the lowest. We use the 16 channel with their 600watt stereo power amp into two-way spkrs, soon to be three-way spkrs. I've used Carvin for nearly 15 years and have never, ever been disappointed with the equipment, the operater maybe, but the equipment, no.

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I've read big threads where scores of people described their Carvin power amps blowing up. I've only known one person with a Carvin amp and his blew up. I'm unfamiliar with their boards.

I'll jump on the Mackie bandwagon and just say that for the price, they are hard to beat. Great company with great support too. I own three of em and they all work perfectly. One of em has been all over Europe and Asia without a spare.

Something to look around for is a Hill Multimix. They are really great mixers and can be had for next to nothing these days used (compared to the $1499.00 I paid for mine in the mid/late 80's). Cool features include; rackmount mixer with seperate rackmount power supply, individual phantom per channel, 12-4-2-1 or 16-4-2-1 configuration, 100 mm faders (Mackie and most others are 60mm). Hills are quiet and reliable.

About the Carvin power amps, several of us around here use there equipment exclusively and have never had problem. Until now, I've never heard of there power amps blowing up. Interesting.

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

We hire out sound, but in my little studio I have a couple of boards. I have a little Behringer mixpad that is just killer, an old Ross 12 channel board that's very comfortable for me, a KMD powered mixer I use solo, and an ancient Peavey powered mixer that we use to rehearse with. Bang for buck, I'd say Mackie has that sewed up. Lots of features for inexpensive boards. Carvin looks cool for the $$$.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived