Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Johnny Cash trivia: What does this mean?

LiveMusic

I saw this in Acoustic Guitar Magazine, June 2001 issue.

"...at home, he keeps a King James version by his bedside, along with a St. Brigid's cross and a Navajo dream catcher."

Uh... the first is a Bible. I have no idea what the last two items are. Any ideas?

BTW, this is an interesting article. I learned things about John Cash I never knew. (Like he doesn't like being called "Johnny.")

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

those three items are all of religous significance.

"...at home, he keeps a King James version by his bedside, along with a St. Brigid's cross and a Navajo dream catcher."

King James version of the bible is most popular because it is the most readily understood bible for most Americans.

St. Brigid was one of the first catholics in Ireland. Her cross is a symbol of protection against fire, famine and disease and is usually made of straw or such.

A dream catcher is a hoop a few inches in diameter that filters your dreams when you sleep. It is like a spiritual net.

The significance of this is to show his varied beleif i guess.

You da man! Thanks. Hey, does one WEAR the dream catcher thing like a headband or what? Never heard of it. Not that I want one, mind you... just curious. Man In Black is quite an interesting character.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

No, one doesn't wear a dream catcher...it's a wooden hoop adorned with strings sorta like a spider web...beads and feathers. They're really pretty cool. Guess you're not from Oklahoma. I think Oklahoma's license plate has one in the middle of it. I've got one hanging from the rear view mirror of my car.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Sir Bob:

I was about to say you see red-necks hanging them from their rear-view mirror.

Yeah, that's true all of a sudden... what's with that? Most of these people would probably claim to be church goers, or at least Baptists if you ask them... how did the dream catcher thing catch on? My guess it's tied to something from a movie, but?

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Ah guess that makes me a redneck...'scuse me, ah gotta change a tahr on mah mobeeel home. Aftern' that, ah gotta clahmb the warter tower with a can o' spray paint to cover up what ol' Earl put up there about mah sister. Should ah use International Red, John Deere green, or Dale Earnhardt (rest his soul) #3 black?

Actually though, I bought the car from a redneck...he had it hanging in there for "good luck". Redneck luck, Native luck, Hippie luck, Brotha luck...it's all the same to me if it works. Now, if ah could only get the horn t' play "Dixie", ah'd be all set!

As far as I know, Johnny Cash is his real name. And as for southern Baptists and dream catchers...they're ornamental (the catchers, not the Baptists). They sell 'em all over. A few people may be aware of the spiritual context, but that's another coin.

I don't know of any other name for him. The article stated that someone pinned the "Johnny" on him way back when but he doesn't like it. I've noticed over the years that June always calls him John.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

The dream catcher is from Indian (a.k.a. Native American) culture. It is said to trap evil spirits that try to invade your dreams. The reason you see them on Oklahoma plates is that Oklahoma is the home of the Choctaw Nation. (I happen to be half Choctaw Indian).

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Cool, Scott...hope you're proud of your heritage. I've always been fascinated by Native American folklore. Just such an interesting variety of traditions around the country.

Is a dream catcher the same as a "God's eye" (y'know those little woven things hangin' by the windchimes) ?

Idly I wonder how this all relates to DeLaSoul (3 feet high & rising)...

------------------

Archived