Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Schaller strap locks... I hate 'em!

michael saulnier

I have 3 strats, 2 teles, and a Les Paul that have schaller strap locks installed. The strats and teles had them installed from the factory with the fuzzy washer between the body and the straplock buttons. The Les Paul's had been put on by the previous owner and don't have the fuzzy washer.

My problem with them is because of the design, the schaller's tend to come apart with great frequency, obviously just what you DON'T WANT with straplocks. The buttons turn and loosen the screws going into into the guitar, making me have to undo the strap, find a screwdriver and tighten them over and over...

...and just yesterday the little knob on the top of the strap part that you pull up on to release it came off unexpectedly... That was no fun to put back on... Thank God it wasn't when I was playing out!

Plus, I like to use leather straps and the threads on the shaller's are so short that I can't tighten the strap side nut hard enough to keep it from releasing... So every few hours of play it comes loose. This "loosening" is so common, I've fallen into the habit of tightening the nut with my fingers each time I pick up the guitar... Uggghh!

What is this? Aren't straplocks supposed to keep your strap from EVER coming off!!!

My PRS McCarty had Dunlop straplocks intstalled by the previous owner and the design of these, while a little "bulkier" than the shallers, NEVER COMES OFF! It's simple, it works...

There ought to be a law!

So...

Anyone agree that this is a flawed system? Do you have to tighten your strap button after a couple of hours of playing? Did you remove the fuzzy washer? Did you use glue or something else to stop the screws from coming loose?

Why couldn't Fender pick a product that WORKED or design or adopt another system. What do 'ya all think?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had both the Dunlops and Schaller straplock systems. I actually prefer the Schallers. I agree though, the nut does have a tendency to become loose. But you can relieve that by tightening the nut on the strap with a nut driver and then using a drop of Krazy Glue or clear nail polish to help seal it. I've found that the Dunlop straplocks can sometimes release easier when the button gets accidentally pushed. Either way, you still should check the straplocks on your guitar everytime, before playing.

depends on the guitar, but you can't go wrong with duct tape! (i can't take the strap off my p-bass if i wanted too!) if that idea scares you try this: on one guitar i have the strap on the regular buttons and then on the far side of the strap, i use poptops from beer cans and bend 'em closed with pliers. they work really well!

-d. gauss

Dunlop sells another type of straplock that works with any strap. They slip over the strap and lock it in place. They aren't permanent, so you can use them with any guitar and any strap. I'll look for the name of the product, but I think you can probably find them on the Dunlop website at www.jimdunlop.com

Well I use the schallers...but have been using them long enough

to know that i carry a small crescent wrench and a phillips screwdriver and before each gig i tighten them up....just like

the way they release...and yes I've had them fall apart before

just blew up right before the gig....but I carry extras in my bag

laters

I used to have some of those Schaller straplocks. Had the same problem. Now I just use those plastic ones that you put over the strap button and twist to lock. Have 'em on all my guitars and haven't had one let go yet. Not great if you use the same strap for multiple guitars though. I have a strap on every guitar, and I never take it off.

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 05-07-2001 at 10:57 AM

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Originally posted by grumpy:

Well I use the schallers...but have been using them long enough

to know that i carry a small crescent wrench and a phillips screwdriver and before each gig i tighten them up

I know a guy that does that as well....

So why do you use them.....?

Because you have to simultaneously press and tug a Dunlop I don't think I've ever had one come loose - I'm pretty sure of it. I've had a guitar around me more often than not for the past 17 years. Never had to do any "maintenance" on them, either. In fact, this is the most I've thought about them, ever; *that* is the way a product should be!

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I'm not sure how to respond to this.

I have a Schaller at the neck heel on two of my acoustics. Both have pickup output jacks for strap buttons at the other end. I don't want to add additional hardware points for straplocks on these instruments. I use a heavy, leather strap. Although it was a bitch to attach, initially, I've had absolutely no problems with it loosening, since I took a crescent wrench to it once. Once. My only problem is keeping the heavy strap from spinning my output jack off! If you're having extreme problems with this, you might try using softening agents for the leather strap, at the buttonhole. Relax it enough that you can compress it a LOT when you attach the lock. If you can make the room, you might also want to try a lock washer between the nut and the large washer that keeps the nut from punching through the hole.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Dunlops are the best; positive click so you know it's on, and reliable regardless of how you move the strap.

Dunlops are the best; positive click so you know it's on, and reliable regardless of how you move the strap.

I am with you Chip. Dunlops are the best IMO.

I just got a new guitar it cost me mucho $$$$$$$. I never even considered anything but the Dunlop...

Good luck guitplayer.

BK

Archived