Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SLIDES 2

OK. SO LIKE EVERYONE GAVE ME INPUT ON SLIDE TECHNIQUE, THANKS! I GUESS I'LL SLOWLY MASTER GETTING RID OF THE "SCRATCHY" SOUND THAT STILL EXHISTS SOMEWHAT.

HOW ABOUT SIZE OR THICKNESS--OF SLIDES!!!!! ANY OPINIONS ON WHETHER A THICK WALLED GLASS SLIDE PRODUCES A DEEPER TONE THAN A THIN WALL?

I CURRENTLY USE A BLUES BOTTLE (242?) MEDIUM. IT SEEMS LIKE A THIN WALL COMPARED TO MANY OF THE "TUBE" STYLE SLIDES I'VE SEEN, BUT MY LOCAL MUSIC SHOP JUST CLOSED UP--NO MORE "HANDS ON"

THANKS

------------------

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, well, hey Karl, are you still there? It says you're no longer registered for the forums...

Practice, sure. I used to be a lot better at slide playing than I am now...but some of the "scratchy" sound can be desirable...as long as you're not fretting out. Then, it's just a lighter touch. Heavier strings, higher action...some open tuning will all help. Keep at it.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'd say, from my experience, that a thin-walled glass slide really only works well on an electric at high volume. Otherwise, a thicker one is necessary to get a better tone. If you're playing acoustic slide, a thick-walled slide is a must. Having said that, I should say that I think the best tone comes from chrome slides. You can use a fairly thin-walled chrome slide and get a good tone even on an acoustic. But if you're dead set on glass...

Large, thick glass Dunlop. Been using the same one for about 13 years, before that I had my other one for around 10 years. Sounds great on resonators and electric.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived