Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

buzzing off

Skip_dup1

Hey everybody-this is actually a continuation of my earlier question about buzzing strings. I have a new electric with significant buzzing on the lower strings. Several people have mentioned having work done on the frets as the solution. Is this something you can go to a music shop with, or are we talking about finding a private luthier? assuming both are reliable, or course.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could start with a trusted tech at a music shop. Other things besides frets can cause buzzing...neck out of adjustment (backbow), nut not cut right, or bridge too low. Hate to have the thing re-fretted if it's a different problem, and as a matter of fact, (maybe I'm off base here) but I'd look at the other potential problem areas first.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Another source of buzzing could be a burr in the saddle. Do the strings buzz when you play the guitar through an amp, or only buzz when you play the guitar acoustically? What kind of guitar is this and is it something that you recently purchased as a new instrument? If it's a brand-spanking new guitar that was recently purchased and you're getting no satisfaction in dealing with the store where you bought it, I'd suggest that you contact the manufacturer about it and take it from there. You shouldn't have to be spending time or money on fret problems on a guitar that's less than 3 months old. If it's just in need of a setup, then that should be corrected by the store where it was purchased. However, if you chose to have your own tech do the work, that would be at your expense. Regardless, you should definitely not be having fret problems that require refretting or leveling the frets on a brand new guitar. That kind of stuff is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and the guitar should be returned to the factory for inspection.

bee my baby-Ronnie Spector

Oh yeah, the topic-I certainly notice the problem more acoustically. Unfortunately, my amp is in New York and I`m not. I`ve been playing through a little portable. But I`m sure it`s noticable plugged in. I`ve been back to the shop twice, they`ve tried to adjust the bridge but it ain`t cuttin it. The only way to go via the bridge route would make the strings annoyingly high, methinks. The neck doesn`t feel backbowed, hard to tell. It`s definitely ridiculous to have this going on with a brand new

electric-I don` know if you guys are faniliar with the maker, Killer guitars. Fine instrument except for this one annoyance. I`ll try contacting the manufacturer.

You say "The neck doesn't feel backbowed"...have you sighted down the neck? Hold the guitar with the ass end on the floor, with the headstock up. Sight down the neck from the nut to the bridge. Notice a bow? It can be very slight, but that may be the only way to tell. If it's a slight backbow...a couple quarter turns of the ol' truss rod wrench (loosening it) oughta setcha up fine.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

When you sight the neck, use the low E string as your straight line to gauge which way the neck is bowing. Backbowing is when the neck bows towards the strings. To relieve that, you would loosen the truss rod (usually by turning to the left). If the truss rod needs to be tightened, then the neck would be bowing away from the strings. To tighten the truss rod, you'll usually need to turn it to the right.

I'm not at all familiar with Killer guitars, but if you're having this much trouble getting the guitar set up correctly, you really should contact them and see if you can get their help. They will either suggest a tech - perhaps one outside of the store where you purchased the guitar - or might have you send the guitar back to their factory for further inspection and a proper set up. If the neck has a problem, where it's backbowed and the truss rod can not be loosened (this does happen on occasion), then they should replace the neck.

Good luck! I really hope you can get things taken care of!

Thanks for the help, guys

The neck looks straight and true to me. I can`t believe the shop would miss something like a truss rod adjustment in two separate trips.

Anyway, I contacted the manufacturer and they said, `well this is highly unusual-it`s really the shop`s responsibility. But bring it by and we`ll have a look.`

I`ll let you know how it goes.

Archived