Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do big stars pay for their gear?

LiveMusic

A big act... do they get their stuff provided for free by the manufacturers? I read the article Tedster pointed out about AC/DC and it said they went out and bought a dozen or so Marshall amps. I would think somebody as big as they are... it would be free. Doesn't work that way?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it works that way usually - that is, artists get "endorsement deals" with gear manufacturers whose stuff they agree to use and display prominently on stage, in their videos, in magazine ads, etc.

However, 1) just because you CAN get an endorsement deal, doesn't mean everybody does. 2) These days a lot of endorsement deals have limits. Like you can have 4 Marshall amps for free but not 12. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif 3) If you do an endorsement with say, Mesa Boogie, but you want some Marshalls, it might be a violation of your agreement with Boogie to accept free Marshalls, so if you want more than one brand of amp you may have to buy it.

It is a bit of a strange arrangement in the first place, isn't it? Musicians who are broke have to pay megabucks for their gear, then when you can afford it they want to give it to you. Fortunately there are some cool people who have endorsement deals and always make sure they get a little "extra" gear and give it away to folks who can't afford it.

--Lee

Many times endorsements are for at or below cost purchaces. It's popular now for endorsements to be "on loan." If you want to own it, you buy it at the discount. Otherwise you play it until the deal ends. Here in Nashville that occurs, sometimes, when you play in the live band for an artist. Move on to another gig, and you have to return anything you haven't bought. Good point, Lee, about exclusive endorsements. I'm sure many of you know of some group with an endorsement, and one or two members use different gear. In order to hide that fact, they have someone transplant the guts of their preference into the cabinet of the endorsee.

But that never happens! lol

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Fortunately there are some cool people who have endorsement deals and always make sure they get a little "extra" gear and give it away to folks who can't afford it.

Where can I find one of these wonderful people?!?! I'd be willing to become their sex-slave for the right gear! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Archived