Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the most beautiful song you've ever heard?

LiveMusic

<>

The only Doyle Dykes song on the 'Sounds of Wood & Steel' CDs that I am aware of is actually 'Wings of the Morning.' It's also on Doyle's latest CD called 'Zelf.' The song was transcribed in a fairly recent issue of Fingerstyle Guitar magazine. Doyle has three other CDs that I know of: Fingerstyle Guitar, HEAT, and Gitarre 2000. 'Nothings Too Good...' is from Gitarre 2000, which was put out by Wyndham Hill.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TTHoyt - The Windham Hill/Taylor Guitars compilation (Vol. 1 LiveMusic) has a lot of songs from other albums. The Doyle Dykes tune IS "Nothing's Too Good For A Friend. While I'm at it, my FAVORITE tune on the album is "Larry's World" by Russ Freeman. Michael Hedges contributed "Java Man", which ended up on his last album, Torched. (Also fantastic.) Steve Stevens was encouraged to try a then experimental Taylor classical. (Their first) He contributed "Sadhana" which will move you every which way. It's downright explosive. The cut after his, "Liquid Amber" by Laurence Juber is perfectly named. It's an acoustic jazz/blues that seams to flow like honey out of the speakers! (Okay, my visuals are pretty weird, but I tend to feel music pretty deep.) The whole album, as previously stated, is exceptional. I haven't heard any of the others, but when I worked with Doyle, he mentioned he was going in to the studio for Vol. 3. (And that was close to a year ago.)

Mile - As for "Brother", I lost interest in Vai after Passion & Warfare. The album as a whole is interesting, but "Sisters" is the only tune I play over and over. I assume "Brother" is on a later album.

As for Brothers in Arms, great record and song, but I like "Man's Too Strong" and "Why Worry better", personally. Sting was wonderful at that same time period. The popular songs off ..Blue Turtles were good, but "Children's Crusade" and "Moon Over Bourbon Street" (Based on the book Interview With The Vampire.) As for classical, I'm not sure my tastes would be considered THE best compositions. My favorite classical piece is Peter & The Wolf by Tchaikovsky. I fell in love with the interpretation when I was very young. International House Of Pancakes (Yes, I know, it's just IHOP now.) gave away a promotional lp with Bob Keeshan (The original Capt. Kangaroo) narrating. I searched for years for a good version on CD, until one day I spotted a Tchaikovsky cd with other pieces as well. Sure enough, it included the Bob Keeshan reading. It's done very well, not overdone. (As is the Dudley Moore version I ended up with first.) Each instrument and melody seems to perfectly match the character it symbolizes.

More - I didn't mention James Taylor, Jim Croce, or Harry Chapin before, because I can't pick favorites from these three geniuses. Here's a few standouts you may not know.

JT - "Frozen Man" (chronicles a fictitious reanimation of a Frozen caveman whose body really was recovered from Alaska. JT explores what he might think of the world today, if he could communicate. Neat jump of reality.)

Jim Croce - "It Doesn't Have To Be That Way", "Box #10". The latter plays out a green kid with a guitar trying to make it playing music in the studio. Nothing turns out right.

Harry Chapin - "A Better Place To Be" I don't know of any two more lonely characters than these. A nightwatchman tells his homely waitress of the troubled beauty that goes home with him, only to disappear after finding comfort for the night in his arms. This one will get you in the gut. Also, DO NOT listen to Chapin's "The Last Song" unless you want to feel like hell. He was a staunch advocate for the world's hungry long before it was in vogue. He wrote this heartwrenching song to allow us to glimpse into the home of a dying family as the mother and children have nothing left to eat. It works.

Another country tune - Travis Tritt, "Can I Trust You With My Heart"

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Eric Johnson:

Forty Mile Town, Battle We Have Won, I promise I Will Try...

--------

Yes:

Onward, Soon, Turn of the Century...

--------

Genesis:

Entangled, Burning Rope, Ripples...

--------

Hendrix:

Little Wing, Angel, Castles Made of Sand...

--------

King Crimson:

Matte Kudasai, Book of Saturdays...

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Adagio in Gm - Albinoni. Top of the list, easy. Tragic but beautiful, the most emotional theme *ever* IMO.

Jeff Beck's solo to "What God Wants Pt. II" by Roger Waters; not a song, but it's overwhelming by itself.

Allan Holdsworth - Home. Delicate, completely non-cliched, subtle in it's emotive stance.

"Angel"; "Little Wing"; "Bold as Love"; "One Rainy Wish"; - JMH (I HATE it when people dismiss Hendrix as just a "druggy acid rock guitar player - screw you, idiots)

"Breath" - Pink Floyd. I don't do drugs, but if I did I'd want them to sound like this.

"Goodbye to Love" - Carpenters. The original goth group: beautiful and depressing.

"Fearless" - Pink Floyd. This is what country music should sound like.

"Great Gig in the Sky" - Pink Floyd.

Anything off of _Blue Bell Knoll_ by the Cocteau Twins is probably going to be more beautiful than most "beautiful" songs.

"Mojo Pin" - Jeff Buckley

"Harry's Game" - Clannad (Maire Brennan)

Most Enya. Yeah, I like Enya, want to make something of it?

"My Love" - McCartney

"Naima" - Coltrane

"Caroselambra" - Zeppelin; the way the breakdown part sounds with the volume swells in the bass is the most sublime event ever in a song

The first 16 measures of Beethoven's _Eroica_ symphony. Yeah, not a song.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

>>Most Enya. Yeah, I like Enya, want to make something of it?

YEP, DAMMIT...you've got a refreshingly broad taste in music styles. This is really cool...

AND DAMMIT...that fucking Shania song is playing on the end credits of "Notting Hill"...ULP...ULP...ULP...ULP...whew...they changed the channel just in time...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Siberian Prisoner's Song (Christoff and Moore version- my grandfather broke rocks in Siberia, so maybe I'm biased, but it's just a beautiful tune and the performance is awe inspiring)

Under the Boardwalk

A National Acrobat

Song to the Moon from Dvorak's Rusalka (Lucia Popp does a great job- many believe that the tune of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" is taken from this aria, judge for yourself)

Wild is the Wind (by Dmitri Tiomkin and Ned Washington- the Bowie version is the best I feel)

Unchained Melody (Overplayed and all, it is a beautiful tune- the Harry Belafonte version is very different and also great.)

My Baby Shot Me Down (Sonny Bono tune, Frank Sinatra singing)

Ne Me Quitte Pas (Jacques Brel)

So many beautiful tunes- how can you argue with Tom Waits singing Jersey Girl, or Callas singing Violetta, or Marty Robbins singing just about anything?

Hm, that list looks like it was written by some kind of sentimental sap. Oh well.

-CB

KHAN - Entangled.. what a great song. I forget a lot like this since no one will listen to old Genesis with me. (And for you youngsters, old Genesis doesn't refer to Illegal Alien or Land of Confusion! lol)

Forty Mile Town is beautiful too.

Hey Live,

Now that you mention it, here's my Disney top 10:

1. When You Wish Upon A Star - Jiminy Cricket from Pinochio

2. Baby Mine - from Dumbo

3. The Bear Necceseties - Baloo from The Jungle Book (animated_

4. That's What Friends Are For - the Vultures from The Jungle Book

5. Jack's Lament - Jack Skelington from The Nightmare Before Christmas

6. Hushabye Mountain - Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang

7. Never, Never Land - from Peter Pan

8. Heigh Ho - from Snow White (Is there a better tune to whistle?)

9. Supercalifragilisticexpialadotious - Mary Poppins

10. Chim Chim Cheree - Mary Poppins

special mention to Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah from Song of the South & The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room - The Tiki Room Birds @ The Magic Kingdom.

Not too much guitar music here, so I'll add Edelweiss from The Sound of Music.

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

6. Hushabye Mountain - Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang

7. Never, Never Land - from Peter Pan

Great tunes...excellent songs...our bass player does a great solo acoustic cover of "Hushabye Mountain" (he's into show tunes)...

Y' ever hear Todd Rundgren's version of "Never Never Land"? Really cool what he did with that song. It's on "A Wizard, A True Star"

Speaking of which, I'll add a song called "Lucky Guy" by Todd, from the "Hermit of Mink Hollow" LP.

And, I would guess Older Genesis to me is like off of Foxtrot or something like "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".

"I Gotta Have My Baby Back" by Ella Fitzgerald with the Mills Brothers. There's nothing sappy about it, but it is heart-wrenching music.

Tom Waits- Dancing Matilda

Louis Armstrong- What A Wonderful World

Samuel Barber- Adagio For Strings

For me, guaranteed tears, one and all....

(check out Oliver Stone's "burning village" scene in Platoon, for a brutal use of Adagio)

How could I not mention the immportal one, The Possum. His "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is arguably the greatest country song ever written. (Although David Allan Coe's "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" has to give it a heckuva contest.)

George Jones himself said he didn't think "He Stopped Loving Her Today" would do a bit of good. Said it was too sad... that people wouldn't like it. How wrong he was.

I have come to appreciate George Jones. I couldn't stand him for years... thought he was too twangy, too country, for me. Wow. The more I've listened to him, the better he gets. And the arrangements behind some of his songs are downright beautiful. Just today, I came across a Jones song I've never heard - "You Still Got A Place In My Heart." Beautiful.

And another beautiful Jones song I just discovered -- "I Always Get Lucky With You."

On ballads, Jones' voice is haunting... very unique. And always... perfect pitch.

The latter two aren't in the league with the classic "He Stopped Loving Her.." but they're darn good songs.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

"Because" by the Beatles from "Abbey Road". When my son was about two years old he used to sing along with it when we played it. I love the way the Beatles took those Beach Boys style harmonies and put such beautiful lyrics to them.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by dadabobro@yahoo.com:

Unchained Melody (Overplayed and all, it is a beautiful tune- the Harry Belafonte version is very different and also great.)

Overplayed - but that's important.

The most pure song of all time is Auld Lang Syne: it is only sung on one occassion, and it is sung with a melancholy intent that is self-supporting like no other. A crowd singing this at New Year's has a particular vibe that is singularly unique. It's not like a just a bunch of drunks singing a ribald bar song for instance - everyone has the same focus of intent, which yields a flavor of delivery that is very interesting to hear.

Member, Secret Loon Society #67745

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

How could I not mention the immportal one, The Possum. His "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is arguably the greatest country song ever written. .

It has just occured to me that merely contemplating appreciating real country music makes me queasy.

I can sit here and think "yeah, that song "hello, darlin'... it's been a long time", or whatever is a "great" country song, but I really, really don't like it......

Tedster - Please, please please get me a copy of your bass player's version of Hushabye Mountain. I waited all my life to be able to play Hushabye mountain for my daughter.

Someone mentioned Todd Rundgren's version of Never, Never Land. The only non-disney version I've heard is also beautiful. It's the Kenny Loggins version from the Return to Pooh Corner album I've previously spoken of.

Great choices, everyone.

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

For what it's worth....

1) "Dream Until Tomorrow" - Lynch Mob(George Lynch)

2) " How" - Lisa Loeb

3 " Someone saved My Life Tonight" -Elton John

4)" Close to You"? - Maxi Priest

Those are a few of my fav's, in no particular order. Great question, by the way....

In rereading these posts, I'd have to agree w/ the Country tunes...

" All These Years" Sawyer Brown, GREAT F****N Song, makes me cry...

" The Dance" Garth Brooks, Another Awesome tune.....

" When You Say Nothing At All" Allison Krauss and Union Station..By Keith Whitley..AWESOME

I know there's many more. Country songwriting is some of the best going...

Yep, that Keith Whitley song is awesome. And "Don't Close Your Eyes (Let It Be Me)" is just as awesome.

Silver Wings, Merle Haggard. If a band has great musicians and can play this one well, I'll bet there's hardly ANYbody that doesn't like it. Classic. Very simple song but when arranged well, it's hard to beat.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

>>Tedster - Please, please please get me a copy of your bass player's version of Hushabye Mountain. I waited all my life to be able to play Hushabye mountain for my daughter...

Well, then, I guess we'll just have to put it on our upcoming CD and send you a copy... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

And I did like the Loggins CD. I've got it too.

To Chip...well, I guess country ain't for everyone. That is as it should be...but y'know, a lot of folks like "genres"..."I like prog rock...I like R&B...I like country...etc."

For me, what I like are good songs, or musical pieces. I like rock, but a lot of it sucks. I like a bit of country, but a lot of that sucks...I guess, if it's a good song (or piece) it doesn't matter what style it is. The "good" shines through.

Neil, Edelweiss, from The Sound of Music... yep, NO DOUBT.

As far as liking country, I switch back and forth all the time from rock to country to oldies. Each time I get back to country, I realize how much I love it. And I was raised on rock and roll. Modern country music has the best musicians, IMHO. Man, they put out some fantastic music. And, hey, I don't care if anyone likes it or not. No difference to me. But if you haven't spent much time listening to it in the past decade, you might be in for a surprise. Much of the music is very similar to rock and roll in the 60s and 70s.

As far as beautiful ballads, country is where it's at these days. They put out one after another. HOWEVER, I even like true-blue, honky tonk, tear-jerkin', down and dirty country. It's really grown on me.

Here are more beauts:

Tennessee Waltz

San Antonio Rose

Desperado, The Eagles

You Are My Special Angel, The Vogues (Yep, I LOVE this oldie! AWESOME!)

What A Wonderful World, Eva Cassidy

$hit, WHY did Eva Cassiday have to die! Whoever said "What A Wonderful World," right on. But man, with Eva Cassidy singing it... it is stunning. This gal was truly special. What a gift she had.

Edit:

If I haven't listed these yet...

Mickey Gilley:

True Love Ways, made famous by Buddy Holly

You Don't Know Me, made famous by Eddy Arnold

and...

Faded Love, made famous by Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys

Statue of A Fool, made famous by Jack Greene and later, Ricky Van Shelton

Hey, thanks everybody, I'm building one helluva list. Gonna cost me a bundle to add so much more to my collection, though. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

This message has been edited by LiveMusic on 04-16-2001 at 07:55 PM

This message has been edited by LiveMusic on 04-16-2001 at 08:04 PM

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

How about Drunken Milkman by Scatterbrain? Ooops! Wrong list. But if you haven't listened to Scatterbrain, get a hold of Down With The Ship. They intersperse death metal with VERY familiar hooks from other people's songs. (Played, not sampled) They keep the tempos of the originals, then speed up or slow down to their own music's tempo. Hilarious.

Seriously though, there are two songs on an otherwise forgettable Triumph album. Both are instrumentals. The first is Midsummer's Daydream. (Which is a hell of a lot of fun to play.) The second, and much more soulful, cut is Little Boy Blues. Rik Emmett really works his sound, through his playing to build up this blues from a soft, gently rocking beat to a firey solo section, and ends back on a fade of the energy level. Great guitar piece.

Also, SRV doing Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). Of all the Hendrix tunes I've heard SRV cover, this one seemed to be the king. Very dynamic.

Thanks Mesabplayer for the agreement on All These Years. I've worked with them, but they don't do justice on a big stage to the recording. Great guys though.

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• 1 month later...

"Believe" - Elton John

"Wasted Time," "The Last Resort" - Eagles

"Forever Young," "I Shall Be Released," "Every Grain of Sand" - Bob Dylan

"Company," "We Belong Together," "Last Chance Texaco" - Rickie Lee Jones

"Fields Of Gold," "Fortress Around Your Heart" - Sting

"Airwaves" - Thomas Dolby

"Corey's Coming" (& many more) - Harry Chapin

"Telegraph Road" - Dire Straits

The entire second side of "Abbey Road" - Beatles

"Constant Craving" -k.d. lang

"Fortunate Son" - Bruce Hornsby

"Shower The People," "I Will Follow" (& many more) - James Taylor

Nearly everything on Tom Petty's "Wildflowers"

Plus the previously mentioned Because, Little Wing, etc.

Plus so many more...

------------------

John Bartus

Radio Active Productions

We Make Great Radio Happen - Guaranteed.

1-888-93-RADIO

www.radioactivedigital.com

John Bartus

Music From The Fabulous Florida Keys

www.johnbartus.com

www.cdbaby.com/bartus

www.radioactivedigital.com

Originally posted by Tedster:

Constant Craving! YES...

Yes... when that was all over the radio I loved how pure her voice sounded from a distance, great everything.

.. as opposed to Whitney Houston with her "and IIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEIIAAAAAAAAA WILLLLLLLALWAYS LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOUOOOOOO".. ahg.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Archived