Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the most beautiful song you've ever heard?

LiveMusic

I don't know if you guys like beautiful songs or just head-bangin' stuff but I sure do. I'd like to know some of your faves. Today, I heard Eric Clapton's instrumental version of 'Danny Boy.' WOW. Man, this is awesome. It is the B side to 'Change The World.' Here are a few that come to mind.

I'm not talking about songs that are just really pretty music. About a hundred times a week, I say "Man, that is a great song" but that doesn't qualify. I'm talking about songs that REALLY make a major impression on you. And for this thread, I just mean beautiful, touching songs. Songs that might bring a tear to your eye at certain moments. Songs that will stand the test of time as being truly special.

Eric Clapton - Danny Boy instrumental

The Beatles - Yesterday

Eva Cassidy - Over The Rainbow

An American Trilogy - Mickey Newberry (Dixie, His Truth Is Marching On, Hush Little Children)

House At Pooh Corner - Kenny Loggins/Amy Grant -- This song would qualify for an incredibly beautiful arrangement but it doesn't bring in the emotion. I mean, it's like a nursery rhyme. Not quite the same as somebody dying or something.

There is an old hymn that was played at JFK's funeral... I don't know the name of it. I think it is an old British hymn. Whatever it is, it gets me.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't recall the entire name...but one that qualifies for me (OKAY, DIMEBAG DARRELL FANS...CALL ME A SAP!) is by Billy Joel, a lullaby..with lyrics that begin:

"Goodnight my angel, now it's time to sleep". That one gets me.

Other favorites in the "Beautiful Music" department...a couple of hymns...

"How Lovely Is Thy Dwelling Place" by Johannes Brahms. You've got to hear it done by a choir to appreciate it...and if you REALLY want to appreciate it...be in the choir that's singing it.

"Ave Maria".

I'd say those three are tied for numero uno as far as tunes that I would call "beeeooteefull"...and really all are classical or classically inspired...the Billy Joel tune has classical voicings.

Sorry folks, Korn just doesn't appear in this list...

Other more rock tunes that I'd throw in...

The Allman Bros..."Melissa"

Beatles...(McCartney) "Here, There, and Everywhere"

From the country/folk side:

Emmylou Harris: "Easy From Now On"

Nanette Malher (indie artist) "The Timber Cries"

So there ya go: "TEDSTER'S K-TEL COLLECTION OF ALL-TIME SAPPY FAVORITES!"

Oh, I forgot...Metallica..."Master of Puppets"... hahaha...just checking to make sure you were all awake...now that I've gotten all sappy on y'all... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Little Wing-Jimi Hendrix

Covered by artists like Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Sting, "Little Wing" is one of Jimi Henderix's most beautiful and enduring compositions. It's easy to see why. The original is seductively warm, poignant and light as a feather.

Cliffs of Dover- Eric Johnson

November Rain- Guns N' Roses

Ted Said:

>>>So there ya go: "TEDSTER'S K-TEL COLLECTION OF ALL-TIME SAPPY FAVORITES!"

====================================

I saw it the other day in the bargain bin at K-Mart.

************ K-TEL'S "MONSTERS OF SAP"!!!************

...because every bad boy has got his sappy side... http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/cwm/eek3.gifhttp://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/cwm/eek3.gifhttp://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/cwm/eek3.gif

This message has been edited by KHAN on 04-11-2001 at 10:40 PM

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Gosh, that would be a tough one. First time I heard Roy Orbison singing "Mystery Girl", written by Bono, I was driving and I had to pull over because I was bawling my eyes out. No lie. A lot of early U2 is really beautiful and has some gorgeous guitar sounds from The Edge too. Some of REM's stuff like "Don't Fall On Me" and "So. Central Rain" and a whole lot of their old stuff. The Stones' "Moonlight Mile"... hmmm... I know there's a lot of stuff I'm forgetting.

I've been listening to Radiohead "OK Computer" a lot the last few days and boy there is some beautiful stuff on there. The last song "The Tourist" - wow. Have that running through my head over and over. Same with "Exit Music (For A Film)" and "Karma Police".

OH and then there's Richard and Linda Thompson's entire album "Pour Down Like Silver". Hardly a song on there that doesn't make me catch my breath. Don't know how I could've forgotten that one for even a second. Lot of Richard and Linda's other material too...

Then there's "Little Wing"... I love the Derek and the Dominoes version too. And hey, "Layla" certainly qualifies as beautiful. (that's my cat's name and she is beautiful too! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif) Emmylou Harris has quite a few that really do it for me... oh, and almost ANYthing by Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Well I guess that's enough for now. Cripes I hope I never am crazy enough to make a mix of all this stuff, I'd clean out the hanky factory.

--Lee

This message has been edited by Lee Flier on 04-11-2001 at 11:21 PM

Robben Ford's "Life Song (One for Annie)". An absolutely gorgeous song. I love "Little Wing" (in fact, it's the name of my boat), but I probably wouldn't put in the beautiful category. More like the f*#kin' amazing category.

-Dylan

Great Tunes listed so far.

Dylan - I am so on board with Song for Annie love that D to E movement in that tune. The first Distorted solo has some of the best tone and phrasing I have ever heard

Bold as Love and Little Wing are hands down amazing .

Lee-

Ok Computer is awesome Karma Police and Exit music are my favorites from that CD. How bout "fake plastice trees" from "the bends". That gives me chills.

One of my all time fav's is Sonnet from the Verve. Man have I worn that one out!!!

Clearing my cheek

BK

Vince Gill / Dolly Parton "I Will Always Love You"

Neal McCoy "Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye"

Those two are in the Top 20 of all time for me.

Of course... maybe nobody on here 'cept me likes country stuff, too. There's a lot of country music that is downright beautifully arranged. And great lyrics, too.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Posted by Livemusic:

>>>Vince Gill / Dolly Parton "I Will Always Love You"

========================

For a second there I thought I warped over to the PUKE Thread. http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/cwm/errrr.gif

Live...

Don't mind Khan, he's way too sentimental...hehehe... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

There's a lot of country I like...I mentioned the Emmylou tune. And listen sometime to Dolly, Emmylou, and Linda doing Neil Young's "After the Goldrush"...pristine!

Don't know if I'd go so far as to call 'em "beautiful"...but another couple that I really like are by Don Williams, (Bob McDill tunes) "She Never Knew Me" and "Good Ol' Boys Like Me". They're both pretty interesting tunes.

Ted said

>>>Don't mind Khan, he's way too sentimental...hehehe...

There's a lot of country I like...

==========================================================

OK, just to show you how deep I really am.

Beautiful Country songs:

------------------------

If I Were You-Colin Raye

Anymore-Travis Tritt

Your Love Amazes Me-John Berry

Statue of a Fool-Traditional

Foolish Pride-Travis Tritt

In a Week or Two-Diamond Rio

The Dance-Garth Brooks

I could go on.....

Ted, I'm willing to bet you didn't think I had it in me...

Live: Have to disagree about Return to Pooh Corner. It definately belongs up there (As does Loggins' "Cody's Song") If Pooh Corner doesn't make you cry, then you're probably not a parent. The 3rd verse is an add on from the original, which Loggins wrote when he graduated high school. Quite a journey, to be able to share his nostalgia in regards to his 6th(?) child, 30 years later.

TTHoyt: That Doyle Dykes tune really belongs in this list. I have it on Sounds of Wood & Steel, a Taylor Guitars/Windham Hill compilation. If you like that one, check out this whole album. I mixed a Taylor clinic for Doyle, and didn't recognize the name, in advance. He started warming up, during sound check, with that song. I just about melted.

Some other greats:

1. Billy Joel - She's Got A Way, Lullabye

2. Lila McCann - When You Walked Into My Life (Now you KNOW I'm sappy. I mixed monitors, for a short time, for Lila, and this song killed me every time as I looked upon pics on the console of my 6 month old daughter. This could have been her "The Dance" (Garth Brooks, definately on this list) They never released it.

3. Garth Brooks - The Change (Wow is this a powerful song)

4. Sawyer Brown - All These Years (Songwriter didn't want Mark Miller to cover this song because the band was seen as bubblegum pop-country. Mark managed to get him to let them lay down tracks and convince him it would stand with power, regardless.

5. Don Henley - A Month Of Sundays and In A New York Minute

6. Diamond Rio - You're Gone (A Paul Williams co-write. It doesn't quite measure up, as recorded, with other suggestions here, but the lyric is fantastic, and the music is very good. A little hokey, musically, at the end to accomodate the band's signature multi-part harmony

7. Paul McCartney - I Won't mention the most obvious Beatles' songs. Calico Skies. It fits right into the Yesterday type of Paul tune. Same with She's Leaving Home.

8. Steve Vai - Sisters To those of you who avoid guitar heroes like the plague, this is the ANTI-VAI song. No distorted guitars, no hyper-space riffs. A beautiful song, interupted in the middle by a wonderful Wes Montgomery feeling middle section. Very subtle.. and powerful.

9. Kathy Mattea - Where've You Been? This is one of the most haunting love songs ever recorded. For those unfamiliar, it's driven by a sweet nylon string guitar, accompanied by cello and electric bass. It's about the strongest bonds of love, and it never gets sugary. Pure power of emotion in the writing and performance. Wow!

I was going to arbitrarily choose 10 that came to mind, but instead I'm going to list some songs with no commentary. Email me if you want to track some of these down:

It Works, Katy Brought My Guitar Back Today, Little Houses, Only Love, Not That Different, So Much Like My Dad, Someone Else's Star, Walkaway Joe, Just about anything off of Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, Empty Garden (An Elton John requiem for John Lennon, written that way. Not an awful rewrite of another fantastic song... ), The Last Song, Blessed, I Don't Want To Be Your Witness.

I could go on all night, so SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP ME! Guess it'll have to be me. Hope to hear back if anybody online KNOWS most of these songs. lol

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

OH I thought of another one... Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck's version of "People Get Ready"... awesome! And what about some of the Motown stuff - "Dock of the Bay" and "Stand By Me" and "When A Man Loves A Woman"... AAHHHHH....

And yes there is a lot of beautiful country. Emmylou is my favorite, and Gram Parsons. When they sang together it was too much. I love the "Trio" album with Emmylou, Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton too... I think this one song "The Sweetest Gift", which is a Linda/Emmylou duet but is on one of Linda's albums, is a definite hanky grabber.

BK, sounds like we have all the same fave Radiohead songs! Yeah, Fake Plastic Trees... yipes. And the part at the end of Karma Police.... "For a minute there, I lost myself"... major league goosebump time!

Billy Joel.. GRRRR... definitely belongs in the puke thread for me! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

--Lee

This message has been edited by Lee Flier on 04-13-2001 at 12:47 AM

Neil... is the Doyle Dykes song you mentioned entitled "Nothing's Too Good (For A Friend)?" There are two CDs in that series and I have one but I'm not sure which song you speak of. This song I mentioned is a nice song but I dunno if this is the one. The entire album is good. Nice listening music.

Edit: Never mind, I see from an earlier post that it is, indeed, that song.

You guys are doing great! Keep it up! We'll have quite a list here to look for.

By the way, as I said, I could list a couple hundred beautiful songs. I'm not kidding. There is an incredible amount of beautiful music out there, even commercial stuff that many people pooh-pooh. (Kenny Loggin's song still on my mind...) When I started this thread I meant it be songs that REALLY, REALLY strike you. It's hard to limit it. But the ones I've mentioned so far, I think I'll love them forever. Awesome songs.

There is no telling how many country songs I could come up with that are beautiful. A recent one that comes to mind is one about a Grandpa who's got Alzheimers or something. Incredible lyrics. I can't think of the name of it now... I have it somewhere.

This message has been edited by LiveMusic on 04-13-2001 at 01:26 AM

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Well I'll try to cover some new stuff because I'm the youngest of all of you (at least I think).

Fantasticsound, what about Brother? It's also great song from one and only Vai. Extremes had some

nice songs (like Rise'n Shine not to mention When I First Kissed You) Don't Speak from No Doubt.

Now two classics: Fragile from Sting (all three versions) and Brothers in Arms from Dire Straits.

Moving on we have He Loves And She Loves (as well as Summertime) from George Gershwin.

Gethsemane (I Only Want To Say)-Jesus Christ's song from Jesus Christ Superstar. Great music and

powerful lyrics. I'm not familiar with country music because you can't hear it alot here and you can't get

hold on it as well... So I'll go with what I know (don't kill me, O.K.???) Is There Life After Love from

Shania Twain (taking cover... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif ). And the last but not the least: Cavatina - John Williams arranged that

one for classical guitar... And lot of stuff from Francisco Tarrega. Interesting. Neither of you mentioned

any classical stuff... Shame on you!

This message has been edited by Mile on 04-13-2001 at 03:00 AM

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

That song I mentioned in a previous post about a Grandpa... it is by a new country artist (new to me, anyway), Tim Rushlow -- "She Misses Him." It's a piano arrangement, just strikingly simple, yet beautiful.

I dunno... this song is a killer... it might not get an award but of all the songs I've heard in the past year, it's gotta be in the top handful for just being a very well-written song. Kudos to the writer and arranger. I don't know how anybody could hear this song and not be touched just a bit. Although, some men are just scared shitless to dare get in touch with their soul.

G

She shaves his face

She combs his hair

Em7

She helps him find his rockin' chair

C

She cooks his meals

G

She wipes his mouth

Am

And the window there

D

He's lookin' out

She reads him books

She calls his name

Oh, everyday

Is much the same

She sighs that sigh

From deep within

The one that says

She misses him

She misses his gentle touch

And the way he used to make her laugh

She misses the man he was in all of those old photographs

So strong, so kind, so sweet, so smart

The man who stole

Her very heart

She misses him

His children come

On Saturday

They're at his feet

His grandkids play

It's sad they don't

Know him at all

He's just the one

They call Grandpa

They take out his trash

They mow his lawn

Things he can't do

Since he's been gone

She's greatful that

They're pitchin' in

And like everyone

She misses him

... and more

I'd give anything to have a Grandpa still here. Or Dad. My dad had a stroke and had brain damage. Heart attacks are nothing compared to a stroke. People who deal with brain-damaged parents or others... give 'em a break. They need it. It's a heckuva strain.

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Hey, Duke...

My Mom, who passed away recently, had suffered a small degree of mental impairment from a minor stroke. It has to be one of the hardest things someone can deal with...having someone you've known your whole life become someone different. I'm with ya, brother...

I'm not positive but the hymn mentioned at the start of this all too cool post, played at Kennedys funeral, was the Naval Hymn. At least that's what I've heard my dad refer to it as. It brings a tear to me because it brings a tear to him. Among other favorites, Dan Fogelberg-To the mornin' & Netherlands, Dancin' Shoes are among my favorites. My daughter wrote a Last Lullaby that sends shivers up the spine of even the most ardent Pro-Choicers, without so much as an implied righteousness. Very well done. John Michael Talbot-Healer of my soul, Buddy Green/and his name escapes me... Mary did you know. Michael Card-"Why?" And last but not least, The old rugged cross. Not so much for the hymn itself though. My Grandma used to beg me to sit at the piano and sing it for her, I was usually to waxed to do it. 2 Easters ago I got roped into singing it in a packed church, backlit by the worlds largest cross. I got through the song fine, but thank God the church was dark.... I musta sobbed for an hour and the girl had been gone for 10 years. Very cool thread fella's

Rick

Mile,

Well, I know that Livemusic is collecting songs that he can do at gigs, so I didn't mention any classical stuff cuz I didn't figure it would fit that category. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Besides, there is too much beautiful classic music to even mention. I think Mozart's "Requiem" might be pretty close to the most awesome thing ever, though.

--Lee

"Moments Like This" by Alison Kraus and Union Station.

"Angel' by Sarah McLachlan

There's also this k.d. Lang song off of the "Twister" soundtrack. I can't remember the name..........

Here's two of my fav's

" Has anyone ever written anything for you" by Stevie Nicks

" Beauty and the Beast' Stevie Nicks

Love the songs would elope with her tomorrow, she sends shivers down my spine!! OOOH

Later

Simon

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Archived