Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My friggin E string keeps breaking!!!! ARGH!!!

aframe9999

It always breaks at the saddle. I have a sneaking suspicion that there are some burrs that are gouging into the string. How can I get that smoothed out? Can I buy what I need at my local guitar store? can I do it myself? Is there a specific file or something I need? Will I kill my strat? Does a bear poop in the woods?

Help me! Please!! I'm spending more on strings than I am on my wife!!!!

(Bad move, by the way)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, most likely a burr in the saddle. Can be filed down...you can do it yourself if you have a fine jeweler's file. But, for me, I git skeered messin' with the bridge and the nut, so I take mine to a local competent tech. That way I have someone to blame if'n it gets screwed up. :o
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

1) Hardware or automotive store - very small, triangular, fine tooth file...just a few light strokes...don't turn it into a ditch.

Or, just some emery cloth (fine, metal sandpaper) folded once, will also do the trick.

2) Fatter gauge strings???

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

aframe9999 wrote:

>>>> Help me! Please!! I'm spending more on strings than I am on my wife!!!!>>>

Aframe

Not a cool plan man!!! Make sure that all spending is truly even..... Just kidding.... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Take your guitar down to a good tech and have him sort it out..... Oh and buy your missus some flowers or choccy's always works when you're in the dog house...

TTFN

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

I used to have major problems with this, plus breaking them just from hard playing. I've had GREAT luck with replacing the stock saddles on my Strat with Graphite saddles, they do not kick up burrs plus it lubricates the string where it crosses the saddle so you have less breakage from wear due to doing a lot of vibrato and bends. It is a small investment given the results in my opinion.

Nut slotting files (used for cutting nut slots) can also be used to fix the burrs on saddles. If you do bring your guitar into a shop, bring in one of the broken strings so the repairperson can see exactly where it's breaking.

Archived