Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What kind of file do ya use on the nut (string groove)?

Treefrog

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should check the nut itself and see if there are any chips in the top or on the side of the nut or inside the slot that could be causing the string to pop out. There are special nut slotting files that are used to file slots and other flat files that are used to file and shape the nut itself. If you don't have any experience with this kind of work and don't have the proper tools, I'd strongly recommend that you bring your guitar to a pro and have the work done correctly. Although this seems like it could be pretty easy to fix, you may want to get a bit of practice on a "junk" guitar first. It's very easy to mess up and make the problem worse or create additional problems. The nut slot on your guitar might need to be filled and re-cut or the nut might just need to be replaced entirely. It's difficult to know exactly where the problem is without seeing your guitar. If you bring the guitar in to a shop, you might be able to convince the tech to let you observe the repair in progress, so you can see what's involved in doing the work.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa, I'll put down the hacksaw and look for a proper file. This is my junk guitar though. A brand new Strat copy from GC that I picked up just to mount my synth pick-up to. It fills the bill for occasional synth recording and plays suprisingly well for $139.

You should be able to find nut slotting files through Stewart-MacDonald Guitar Shop Supply or Luthier's Mercantile. They are gauged, like strings, and usually sold individually or as a set. You'll need to use a file that's slightly smaller than whatever the string gauge is for the slot you're filing. I'd also suggest getting a repair book, like Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide or one of the instructional videos on repair that Stew-Mac sells. The illustrations and explanation should help you out a bit in learning the right techniques. But really, you only get good at this stuff by doing it.

I've seen some low-priced guitars that have been hot-rodded and set up well. Some of them turn out to be real gems.

Hope you get things sorted out!

Archived