Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things to do to protect your guitar for longevity

LiveMusic

A guitar can be quite an investment... and quite an important prize possession. I previously created a post about my "making the mistake" of going into the high-dollar room at the local music store. It was entitled:

* Uhoh... tried high-dollar acoustic. Is this the answer? *

Well, I now own a REAL GEETAR. Shameless plug for TAYLOR coming. I LOVE IT! Wow, what an instrument. I can't think of anything in my life that I've ever owned that has made as proud as this. This thing is fantastic. I am in awe. By the way, I didn't buy the $2,000 514CE (street price), I bought the $1,200 310BCE. I played dang near every Taylor (and other brands) I could find and this one won the prize. Lucky me. I saved a bundle over that 514CE. Wish I could have both. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Anyway, I want to take care of this thing, since it seems to be quite a guitar, winning my hand over ones costing FAR more... some I played cost $8,000. I guess that's why I'm so in awe of this one. Cost thousands less but won the prize.

I'm not a very disciplined person when it comes to maintaining things but I'd like to know a couple of things about how to care for this baby.

1. I do computer work. All day long, I have the radio on and when I hear a song I like, I reach over and pick up my guitar from it's stand, which is always within reach. Now, I'm concerned about having clean hands when I play. At any given moment, I may have greasy burger on my hands, dog, cat, whatever. Are clean hands important? I mean, really. For real. Does it REALLY make a difference? Do you practice what you preach (if you always wash before playing?) It isn't very practical to jump up and wash my hands every time I want to pick out a few chords.

Could I solve all of this spur-of-the-moment by cleaning the guitar daily?

2. Do you think a humidifier or dessicant is necessary?

3. Is it okay to use Finger Ease stuff? I've never used it but have considered it. I guess it's supposed to make guitars play even easier.

Anything else you might offer, thanks.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sound serious about this, kind-of, so

here goes: First, read the care pamphlet

that came with your new axe--the biggest

danger is from humidity extremes, dryness

probably worse than high humidity. Keep the

guitar in its case at night, if you must have

it out all day. In an extremely dry room

less than 30% humidity, put a kysor "lifeguard"

humidifier in the soundhole when not playing.

Myself, being rather fanatic, I polish the

guitar every time I change strings with Martin

or Gibson polish, just a light coat, and rub

in tung oil or lemon oil on the fretboard,

especially the rosewood fretboards, and the

bridge. I suggest you keep a hand towel draped

over the headstock to wipe excess contaminants

off your hands before you play. A light spray

of "finger-ease" on a soft cloth to wipe strings

and back of neck before and after playing will

help to control string corrosion and discoloration

of the back of the neck. Sounds like you found

a real treasure in that new guitar. Enjoy,Bob Wood.

Nothing is more disgusting to me than picking up my guitar and finding that someone with cruddy hands has been playing it. I mean, crud all down the back of the neck, not to mention the reduced life it gives to strings. I remember one night playing an acoustic gig...I'd just changed the strings and they were sounding sweet. I made the mistake of letting a crud-hand play my guitar (I didn't know the dude was a crud-hand), and instantly the strings were as dead as they'd be if I hadn't changed them for a year. Can't get it back, either. So, to answer your question, yes, keep your hands clean.

Now, to be fair, there are people whose hands sweat inordinately and they can't help it no matter how much they wash their hands, but purposely picking up a guitar without washing after downing a bucket of Col. Sanders is unfathomable.

One thing...when I change strings, I usually change them one at a time, to maintain more constant tension on the neck. Anyone else do this?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I wouldn't pick up this new Taylor after downing Colonel Sanders without wiping my hands on a towel or something but is that enough? Do your hands really need to be clean?

Reason I'm asking this is because I'm wondering how much damage can "relatively clean" hands do to a guitar? Getting real, I mean, it's made of wood and steel. How much damage could be done? And if I clean it every day, is that enough? Point is, is it a manufacturer's BS deal or is it a real threat to the guitar to treat it like kid gloves? That's what I mean.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by Tedster:

One thing...when I change strings, I usually change them one at a time, to maintain more constant tension on the neck. Anyone else do this?

Yup, that's the real thing... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I always change strings one at the time... Acoustic, clasic, electric (specialy with Floyd Rose on)... Always one string at the time

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

Well, Live, I don't think it's a question of how much damage you're going to do to the guitar, other than getting it cruddy. The question is to me, how long do you want a set of strings to keep their tone? If a few minutes is fine, then by all means, just wipe your hands a bit. But if you'd like 'em to last longer than a week, I'd go for surgical precision. But, it's your guitar. A Taylor. Ultimately, it's you that's got to be happy with it.

Wound strings accrue crud in the grooves. Crud in the grooves dampens vibrations, and thus makes the strings go dead. This will happen inevitably, no matter how clean your hands, but you can delay this for a bit my keeping your hands as clean as possible.

I can keep a set of electric strings on without changing 'em a heckuva lot longer than acoustic strings. Acoustic strings just have to sound nice and bright, with that characteristic "zing". Strings that go "thunk" instead of "zing" turn me off. Not that one shouldn't change electric strings often, it's just more frequent for acoustics to me.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Tedster wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Live, I don't think it's a question of how much damage you're going to do to the guitar, other than getting it cruddy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn right!!!!

I am also a fanatical wiper of hands and strings. I never let anyone else play any of my babies I just hate the thought of it!! ( sorry to be so analy retentive about it http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif)

On a cleaning tip I wipe down after every play and when I restring I clean all the frets with a brass cleaner ( very mild )... helps keep the frets in great shape and all the woodwork is lovingly cleaned with a polish made of turpentine and beeswax, which I also use on our antique furniture... Cos it cleans and feeds the wood!!! This has worked brilliantly for me and has kept my babies in fantastic condition!!

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Just a thought about your question about humidity. Before I bought my first Taylor, I admit that I knew very little about how humidity effects acoustic guitars. But thanks to them, and the downloadable info they have on their website, http://www.taylorguitars.com, I now monitor and protect my guitars against damage from too much or too little moisture in the air.

Because many other companies don't make such a big deal about this, it's tempting to think that either Taylors are "fragile" guitars, or they are overly sensitive about this issue. Instead, they are just committed to helping their customers get the most life and enjoyment from their guitars. I think that's good corporate citizenship. Of course what applies to their guitars also applies to others so my Larrivee and Ovations also benefit from the care I give my Taylors.

In any case, it's cheap and easy to properly control moisture in your guitar... Radio Shack sells an inexpensive measuring device, and the humidifiers are also cheap and easy to buy.

Depending on where you live, controlling humidity may be the biggest factor in the life and playability of your guitar. I'd suggest going to Taylor's website and becoming an "instant expert" in this issue and then applying it to your guitar.

Good luck,

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I use one of those sound hole humidifiers in my 514c.

It really helps keep the neck from drifting and the action stable.

I played a 4 day Festival in Las Vegas Last summer. Man did my Taylor take a beating from the arid climate. I am going to buy an inexpensive Larviee for these types of gigs. I have spent atleast 300-400 Bucks in 6 months just keeping the 514 up to snuff.

As far as keeping hands clean. I am very anal. I must wash em' atleast 10 or more times a day. If I ever caught anyone playing any of my guitars with finger lickin' good hands. They would need priest!!!

Yee Hahhhhhh

Later BK

Everything everybody has said about hand washing is so true. Even if it didn't affect the strings and tone etc, I have to wash my hands just because I don't like the way my dirty fingers FEEL on the neck and strings. It seems to slow me down and it just feels wierd. After setting up PA and running cables etc your hands get dirty. If I forget to wash my hands before soundcheck, I can tell instantly by the funky feel...

Archived