Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two guitarists... can it work?

michael saulnier

I've been listening to the new Jeff Beck album and I think one of the coolest things about it is the way that Jeff and Jennifer Batten play together.

First, there's no "basic rhythm track" guitar part... everything Jennifer plays is as cool as Jeff!

Second, she used the guitar synth in very advanced ways that lend a huge amount of space to the recording.

Do you play with a second guitar player... is it two equals or are you a "lead" or "rhythm" player.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a tricky one, as one player will usually outshine the other...

In most of my situations, the other guy has been able to pick circles around me, although I consider myself a fair lead player. Bad thing, if you're a fair lead player, and someone smokes you and hogs the solos, you won't grow. To this end, in my dual guitar bands, we've always managed to split the solos where possible, and that has even enabled me to pass a couple of cronies by, or at least get closer to their level.

A lot of ego stuff here. In some cases, since I sing a lot more than perhaps my more nimble fingered friends, I've been content to wank on an acoustic or something, concentrate on vocals, and let the other guy stretch strings. When it's my turn, and I've got something to say instrumentally, I usually manage to say it.

I think two guitar bands should more often get rid of the "rhythm dude...lead dude" attitude, and share the solos. Do harmony solos. Hey, it worked for my personal faves, Duane and Dickey. On the other hand, the inherent ego problems with two folks like Jennifer and Jeff usually make it impossible for any length. Single albums, yes. Enduring band, no.

Take the team approach. Find where you shine, do your job, and never lose sight of the fact that it ain't about personal glory, it's about making the BAND sound good and work like a well-oiled machine.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

In our band, we have 2 fairly competent lead/rhythm players. We do a good job of splitting the lead parts. What's nice is that whomever is not playing lead, is usually doing the back up vocals, so the rhythm player has his hands full....no chance to get bored.

We also try to incorporate 2 lead parts wherever possible. The audience really gets into "dueling" guitars. We have similar backgrounds and interests, so neither of us really "outshines" each other. I think our tones, styles and comparable levels of proficiency complement each other nicely. This by far is the most comfortable guitar situation I have ever been in. No egos!!!...YES!

Quote:

posted by Tedster

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take the team approach. Find where you shine, do your job, and never lose sight of the fact that it ain't about personal glory, it's about making the BAND sound good and work like a well-oiled machine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tedster

You are definately a man after my own heart. I have recorded and played in loads of bands over the years that have featured two guitarists and every time I have ended up having this conversation..... It's about the band not personalities we are all here to make the band sound great and not to indulge in any personal wanking....( please excuse the terminology) it's just an attitude that really pisses me of it's not a competition its a band remember that and you won't go far wrong, Those that forget end up destroying their creation anyways.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

No, I'm not going to cite Racer-X...

The best two guitar team I've heard: Martin Rotsey and Jim Mogine from Midnight Oil.

Their newer stuff smacks of "we'd better do something sort of commercial", but their old stuff (10-1, Red Sails), has completely brilliant and aggressive parts to them. They're the only two guitar band I've heard that actually utilizes all of the possibilities of the arrangement. They're very cognizant of the other's part, and have a very nice and mature sense of when to make discretely different parts and when to come together, and how to come together. When they do seperate parts they're clever in making them fit together in a jig-saw rhythmic fasshion, or in a contrasting sound.

Great live band as well... maybe the best pure rock show I've seen, barring King's-X.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Hello Boys

I really enjoy two guitar teams. It gives me new ideas on how to arrange and voice my own tunes. Its funny, we don't really have guitar teams like back in the 80's. (all of the Heavy metal cats) Racer X was very cool - one of best shred duo's.

I enjoy hiring another player for bigger shows. Its best when he/she isnt a mimic and has a style of their own - It always gives me new ideas.

Cheers

BK

Yes, two guitars can work so long as it doesn't turn into a pissing contest between the two. I've been lucky enough to have played in a couple of bands in which the other guitarist was a great musician and knew how to work as a team. We would split the soloing duties and try to stay out of each other's way when comping. It is somewhat of a challenge to try not to over play sometimes but it's also nice to hear the chords in the background when you take a solo. Personally, I prefer to be the only guitarist just because when there's another guy playing guitar, I tend to hold back a bit. If I hold back, I can't play my heart out.........

I played for about a year and a half with another guitarist who never played a single Solo and was the best player I have ever worked with. I handled all the "lead" work and he did the hard stuff. We never had a problem with ego getting in the way because we both new our strengths and weaknesses and used them to our advantage. He would come up with complex picking parts and amazing chord melodies and my job was to fill in counter-points and complimentary parts (and solos if needed). it was a great playing situation and I wish I knew where he is now.

Archived