Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do your calluses EVER allow pain-free performance?

LiveMusic

I've never played as much as I am now and my calluses seem pretty thick but they're not thick enough! I still get the occasional needle-in-my-finger shock. I'm just curious if professional guitarists... if their fingers get so tough that for, say, a four hour nightclub gig, they just let it all hang out and have zero pain.

I don't suppose there is anything one could do to toughen the fingertips even more, other than playing, huh?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

I've never played as much as I am now

I still get the occasional needle-in-my-finger shock.

That's not because of your calluses. Stop playing for awhile, and make sure when you start back you don't have your wrist bent so extreme, and don't practice the same movement repeatedly. Learn to listen to your body. You're probably getting carpal tunnel syndrome.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Posted by Chip

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not because of your calluses. Stop playing for awhile, and make sure when you start back you don't have your wrist bent so extreme, and don't practice the same movement repeatedly. Learn to listen to your body. You're probably getting carpal tunnel syndrome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LiveMusic

Listen and act on this piece of advice its a bloody good one imho.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Thanks but naw... I disagree. This is a sharp, piercing pain right in the fingertip. Definitely a soft-tissue pain due to the string cutting into the skin. Not a doubt in my mind.

I note that now my first and second fingers have grooves in them where the string is riding. That doesn't seem good. I've been working on a play list and some of the songs have the same strummed chords over and over. Maybe that's causing it.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I used to get the same thing when I was playing simple rhythm parts that moved up and down the neck for long periods of time. I'd wear a groove in my tips and eventually it was "electric shock" time every time I pressed down on my tingly digits.

One way I eventually learned to deal with this was to practice fretting as lightly as I could and still make the notes ring out. This takes some practice, but is a good tip for most players. Not only does it stress the finger tips less, it reduces the chances of carpal tunnel. Now, if I forget and I feel the first signs of fingertip pain, I soften my grip and pretty soon it goes away.

The best test you can give yourself about this is to try a scalloped fretboard. It's impossible to fret heavily and stay in tune on chord shapes on a neck with scallops on the upper 12.

My favorite fingertip story is SRV. According to the legend, in the middle of a multi-set gig, he tore the callus off a fingertip. He got some crazy glue and glued the tip back on... then went and finished the night. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

You do have pressure points at the end of each finger, and hitting them could produce what you're talking about, LM. Certainly playing the same patterns over and over for four hours can't be good for your body. Find alternate ways of playing the same patterns.

Yes, players will get some pain sometimes if they play a lot. Flea, from the Chili Peppers, has poured superglue into an open wound he'd get on his thumping thumb. Maybe if you're getting paid $1000 a minute and playing in front of 50,000 people, the pain doesn't register the same way.

Dan Richards

Pro Studio Reviews

Have played professionally for 18 years now and just started getting that same extremely sharp pain in 2 of my fingertips only in the last 2 years. It sucks in a very big way.

I still haven't reduced my string gauge but I'm sure that will help. It 's like giving in to wearing glasses (which I still won't do). Damn I'm losing my hearing, sight, my fingertips are wearing out, I don't smoke anymore. Fuck. I bought a SPL meter from Radio Shack last week to make sure I don't lose anymore hearing.

Anyway this fingertip nerve thing is severely cutting into the time I can spend playing. If anyone has any knowledge about this I would love to hear more. I think it's pretty rare other than the guy who started this thread I've not met any other players with this problem. BTW this happens with or without heavy calluses. Acoustic guitar is generally worse than electric but I have found some guitars are easier than others. I find fretting closer to the tip and less on the pad helpful.

Lately it has me finally making a real stab at learning to play piano. Wow, maybe I can be the next Billy Joel.

Glad you brought this topic up.

Get FingerEase spray it directly on your fingers of your fretting hand and on the fretboard on your guitar. This will reduce friction and build up your callouses up fast. As far as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome try to keep your wrist as flat as you can (the back of your hand and your forearm should be straight).

Buddy

Boy is this topic unfortunately to close to home.

in '95 I was working this crap data entry job between gigs and got a bad case of repetitive stress in my left hand. I to this day have to be very careful on computers and If I drive for an extended period of time it flares up.

I have been to Doctor after Doctor. Never seems to help. The only thing that does is deep tissue massage on my forearm.

As far as callouses I have found that only playing a ton will keep them up to snuff. Especially the one on the side of my left hand index finger. Man does that one hurt If I haven't kept my chops up.

Later

BK http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

You definitely have to play a lot to get the ol calluses built up, it takes a while to get them really thick so I wouldn't be too concerned. Just keep at it, you'll get there. I don't think getting pain from playing several hours in a row ever completely goes away, my fingers still hurt once in a while after a particularly grueling night. . I still get grooves in my fingertips, especially when doing a lot of acoustic work, but that has never bothered me. I wouldn't let getting those grooves in your fingertips worry you too much.

What I've done in the past when I've allowed my calluses to go away is to put superglue on my fingertips when they start to hurt. It's kinda slippery at first but wears in pretty quick, o.k. after that, lasts the rest of the night. That allows me to keep playin and building up my pads. I also use finger ease, if for no other reason than it lubricates the strings real good and makes it easier to slide up and down the neck. I also like to spray some on a cloth and rub into the back of the neck, makes that nice and slick too.

And take Chips advice, this may or may not be your problem right now but if you don't take care it WILL become a problem, it's just a matter of when. And take care of your back while your at it, especially when gigging (all that loading and unloading). I can tell you from first hand experience that back trouble is something you DO NOT want.

Archived